snooch
Years ago

NBL statement on referees

http://www.nbl.com.au/news/article/39232-statement-from-nbl-chief-executive-jeremy-loeliger

But we have been heartened by the noticeable improvement in the quality and consistency of our referees over the last three seasons - sentiment that is proven both by the numbers and feedback from officials from clubs, Basketball Australia and FIBA.

One of the more contentious issues this season has been the changes to rules regarding unsportsmanlike fouls in transition.The intent of the new rule is to promote the flow of the game, particularly with respect to transition and fast break situations which can't be prevented by an illegal defender.

This is a new FIBA rule and like any new rule we need to give players, referees and fans time to adjust to it. Like everything we do, we will continue to review it and make a final judgement at the end of the season as to how that rule will be interpreted and applied next season.

etc etc etc. To summarise - head, meet sand.

Topic #42447 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can he say there is an improvement when one of the fulltime refs gave Joey a tech just because he asked for one? The rules don't work like that.

Reply #664041 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Last time I looked Baseball and Soccer had coaches interacting with referees.

Loelinger is good at the PR not so much the facts

Reply #664044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The big disconnect here is what the NBL is instructing refs to call and the understanding of this instruction by the commentators and thus the fans.

Reply #664047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good news is they've noticed complaints about refs, bad news is they don't seem to see the problems or seem like they'll fix them.

Feels to me like they're using the unsportsmanlike foul rule as the scapegoat for the refereeing. It's a stupid rule imo, but if its called correctly then meh you just need to live with it for now. The real main/real problems imo are:

1. Wayyyy to inconsistent
2. Missing too many super obvious calls...
3. ..but also make too many soft calls that aren't needed

Reply #664060 | Report this post

Pretty much all a load of hot air except for the bit at the end where he says they'll make the review of some calls more transparent. But then I imagine they'll end up being about as transparent as player value in the salary cap. We all remember that promise!

From memory, we had a reasonably good year of refereeing when we had the referee panel adjudicating. It cleaned things up, the teams got used to it, the internal feedback was apparently so good that some refs were getting pissed off, and then it got chucked out and we're back to sloppy, inconsistent refereeing with no real ability for criticism or growth.

Reply #664063 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

It isn't just commentators interpretation influencing fans. It's current and past players and coaches too. Apparently they are all dumb and the refs are perfect...

Reply #664073 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"We're back to sloppy, inconsistent refereeing with no real ability for criticism or growth."

There's still plenty of critiquing of refs. Every game is closely reviewed. That is part of the reason why we've seen a lot of older, mid-to-lower level refs move on recently.

Until the group of young refs who have come in to replace get a bit more experience there is going to be inconsistency.

But let's be real, we've long had inconsistency so at least having some new refs replacing the guys who make the same mistakes year after year gives some hope, even if it may be a little way off.

Reply #664084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who'd be a referee, exspecially in a sport where you make split second decisions. I agree that there is bad calls but they go both ways and generally even out. The commentators even argue some decisions after watching slow motion replays, yes at time they give me the shits but name me a team sport where refs are not called useless. Overall they do ok and with out them no game. :):)

Reply #664088 | Report this post

The young ref making all the wrong calls at the wrong times at the moment is being accelerated beyond his capacity due to who his family is

Reply #664092 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

And he is a knob

Reply #664095 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

The biggest frustration for me isn't even the unsportsmanlike interpretations (which has been frustrating), it's the ridiculous amount of tech fouls being blown for insignificant reactions.

The refs need to give players some licence - sure if it's over-the-top abuse or carry-on then call a tech, but that's not what been happening.

Reply #664099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought Joey deserved his tech, particularly if he's stupid enough to yell at the ref and demand it.

Reply #664323 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"The young ref making all the wrong calls at the wrong times at the moment is being accelerated beyond his capacity due to who his family is"

I don't know that side of it, but certainly a few of Jon's calls have undone a lot of good work being done by others.

Take out the bad USFs and techs in recent weeks and the reffing has been pretty solid (with some obvious mistakes sure, but that happens) and is helping produce some attractive hoops.

Reply #664338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it's common knowledge one member of the young refs family get's preferential treatment but it isn't him. If acceleration was associated to his "family" he wouldn't get any games.

Reply #664340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I thought Joey deserved his tech, particularly if he's stupid enough to yell at the ref and demand it."

There is no rule that says a player or coach can receive a tach/foul/penalty etc just for asking for one. A smarter ref would have ignored him, not taken the opportunity to assert his influence. It was farcical.

Reply #664349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ever thought he wanted to get a tech to fire up his team? Unfortunately once he got wound up he got tossed and turned and left as the 2nd was being blown. Abuse comes in many forms. He was given an initial warning and kept going. A little silly on his Joey's behalf or as you say farcical by him.

Reply #664358 | Report this post

Booker 99  
Years ago

I think people vastly underestimate what Scott Butler is doing in this space with the referees, they have never had someone with comparative national AND international experience running the officials program in the NBL.

Rule changes and transitions will always be frustrating to the average fan, that's situation normal, but as an aspiring referee I wish there was more easily accessible information on what's happening on the back end for training/coaching/accountability, etc.

This podcast was really informative on what they started out with this season (Butler is on at around 30 mins in). I'd love to see more of this stuff!

http://www.aussiehoopla.com/nbl-blitz-recap-traralgon-1/

Reply #667079 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Another round of charge/flop referee roulette. These refs have a loooooong way to go. What were they calling in the Adelaide Illawarra game Friday night? Carfinos comment was basically to say that at least whatever it is tonight they are being consistent with it....

Reply #667568 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Keep trying to justify the shitty, inconsistent refereeing though. Another 10 years and they may be decent.

Reply #667569 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

NBL: refereeing is all good.

In totally unrelated news, if you look out your window you'll see pigs flapping their wings and performing aerobatics.

Reply #667578 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

"Keep trying to justify the shitty, inconsistent refereeing though. Another 10 years and they may be decent."

Said pretty much the same thing.......20 years ago

Reply #667579 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

"in this space"

As soon as I see or hear this I KNOW there will be some quality BS to follow. Up there with "reached out to" as my favourite corporate wanker words.

Reply #667583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's easy to referee from your lounge room, some of the blocks or charges are hard to call in slow motion and even the commentators don't agree after watching the slow motion replay, refs make split second decision, yes they make mistakes but as a basketball supporter it's part of the game. If you can't put up with it you might be better watching swimming or running where no decision is required.

Reply #667592 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Swimming- legality of stroke, underwater length on breaststroke??, 2 handed touch
Running- baton changes, lane violations, false starts

All sports involve some form of official judgements imho- even bog snorkelling.

Reply #667599 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Sticking up for mediocrity is fine if you want a shit product. It's meant to be a national league but there's completely different interpretations of charges (for one example) each week. Get rid of "flopping" if they can't understand how to officiate it. It's a bastard new rule straight out of soccer mad Europe.

Reply #667660 | Report this post

Booker 99  
Years ago

Udog... You mean one of the most successful leagues in the world? You're right, let's do away with FIBA rules and just go rogue, so instead of having a solid product and players (and officials) who can seamlessly transition to the highest standard of global basketball, we'll have a D Grade "entertainment package" that will make Average Joe fan boy happy.

Reply #668175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every league in every sport around the world complains about officiating

NBA
EPL
MLB
NFL
AFL
NRL
Super Rugby
Cricket
Etc etc etc no one is ever happy. It's all just white noise.

Reply #668176 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

The statement says they will review at the end of the year and see how best to "interpret and apply" the new rules. Sounds very seamless indeed.

Reply #668178 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:40 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754