LoveBroker
Years ago

JVG issues Kings ultimatum

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/basketball/sydney-kings-reminded-of-the-franchises-expectations-following-disappointing-season/news-story/57ff3e77f60c49715f1fc3c949e63661

"Our expectations are for the players to dig in and get wins and represent the club professionally," Van Groningen told The Daily Telegraph.

“For the remaining games we want to see the level of commitment shown to the Sydney Kings uniform that we have for the Sydney Kings organisation."

I like this one.

“We won't sleep until we feel we’ve done everything in our power to build a winning organisation.”

How is it possible the entire Kings front office hasn't slept for months?

Topic #42459 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I think of effort in this context like a scalar. There's magnitude and direction. Your realistic magnitude is partly a product of the ideal direction (and it'd be the same as the coach's specified direction if they were infallible).

The problem with JVG's rhetoric here is that player effort is quickly derailed if it's not in line with what the coach wants or if the coach is steering poorly. What's a player supposed to do if the issue is the latter? Run full-tilt in the questionable direction?

And even beyond that, if your season is shot, are you better off running vets into the ground or throwing bulk minutes at prospects like Humphries and Pineau?

Reply #664416 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I would blood more young prospects but wouldn't Humphries be off to greener pastures?

Reply #664417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where's the ultimatum?

Reply #664420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The buck stops at jvg, he's in charge, he put the team together. Humphries is part of the problem, not certain he find greener pastures and he isn't 7' no matter how often we get told, he looks the same height as Josh Boone.

Reply #664423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's pure spin. Nothing more. He’s a great politician is Jeff, guess it’s all that time he spent in the Qld government. Not much good at building a basketball program though. Although again, he’s using the old Labor mantra "jobs for the boys". Or his Melbourne mates in this case.

This team is a disaster. For all the good things happening in the league, Sydney’s failure can’t be sitting well with LK. When the team in your biggest market is a complete and utter embarrassment, that can’t be good for business or the overall health of the NBL.

Reply #664426 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Jumble the headline words to find....Kings issue ultimatum to JVG?

Reply #664428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trim the headline to head "JVG Issues" and then list his many issues. Then explain to me how he is still employed because f***ed if I understand it.

Reply #664429 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Humphries has done basically .uck all the last few games..

Reply #664430 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Not defending him but when the Kings are starting the likes of Singh over him it wouldn't do much for his confidence. Humphries has shown much more than Singh has this season.

Reply #664431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JvG is one if not the worst NBL GM of all time. Thoughts?

Reply #664432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hudson did a better job with peanuts. As much as Kings need wins you have to reward effort and Singh has probably trained harder, he only got 2 minutes and was subbed out.

Reply #664434 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

If AEG's 3 year plan is to stick with the JVG / Gaze combo its great fot he rest of the league because they are safe from the spoon.

If AEG's 3 year plan involves winning and progression of the rsoter and franchise, I'd ask Nick Marvin (yes....he is not everyone's favourite but the guy gets results right) to take over and get Gordie McLeod as HC.

Gordie left the Taipans because Cairns can't even pay for a decent assistant coach. If they are paying 600k for Gaze surely they can give Gordie 300k and put the other 300k into the roster.

Reply #664437 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Gaze is supposedly on $400k a year with one year left to go.

Reply #664439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze is now the 3rd worst coach in the Kings history.
You shouldn't include T Hudson 1 game of Joe Connelly a fill in after Cotter.
Gaze also said yesterday " "I don't quit, there's no quit in me," Gaze said. "I don't think it's unreasonable if I am the owner of this team, to look at and say, 'Why haven't we got the performances?'. And I'm extremely accountable for that, there's no doubt about that."Absolutely there should be questions asked, or an investigation into the performance of me and all the coaches."
Well lets hope they do a season ending review of all positions.
With JVG talking the talk and ultimatum how about you tell Tyler that no you can't stay over on the Goldie after Brisbane for a few days and not go to training. Remember you are injured mate? Talk the talk is easy JVG.

Reply #664440 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

There a gm just as bad.he is just down the highway from sydney.very much a yes man to the owners and is very much disliked by all around him.makes the coach take the blame for decisions they make.e.g.Ellis situation

Reply #664446 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Look in the mirror, JvG.

Reply #664452 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"e.g.Ellis situation"

That situation has been resolved, all is forgiven...until contract renewal is not forthcoming.

Reply #664476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$300K for an asst coach. Bullshit.

Reply #664479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a slap in the face to all the real coaches in the NBL when a clueless Gaze gets $400K when they are earning a lot less than that.

Reply #664482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$400k isn't enough for Gooj. Lister and JVG are equally clueless. "I will not resign" Well please sack him if you have BALLZ

Reply #664487 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

JvG getting in the first punch to try to take the heat off him and focus all the attention on the players.
And by using the media you can see he's trying to persuade the bulk of Sydney’s population who don’t know about his own ineptitude that it’s only the players’ fault.

"We won’t sleep" ROFL

Spin from an incompetent political a$$hole fighting to keep his credibility and his job

Reply #664537 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

JVG needs the players to win so he can use it to support his own job. He doesn't care about the players, why threaten them.

Reality is no other coach is looking at Sydney thinking they will punch a certain player for next season. The players are playing for roster spots in 2018 and based on their season the job prospects don’t look great

Reply #664560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm hearing Caddee headed to Brisbane, been very hot and cold lately, maybe is something in the rumour or just trying to get more money.

Reply #664572 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Fucking disgraceful of JvG to be pointing the fingers at everyone else and copping no blame himself when he's the root of all the problems... Would expect nothing else of someone with his reputation...

Reply #664583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee can go to Brisbane any time he likes. Sick of his lazy ass no defence game. One of the most overrated players in the league.

Reply #664584 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Who rates Cadre outside of a few in Sydney?

Reply #664585 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Cadee ^^

Reply #664586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Caddee playing for Australia, I'd say Lemanis rates him.

Reply #664593 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Playing for Australia yes but only in NBL strength side.

Reply #664596 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:30 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754