Hogwash
Years ago

Cairns v Brisbane Jan 5th

Another Queensland battle coming up.
Playoff hopes remain alive for the winner should be a good game.

Topic #42460 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

Buford & Petrie both out for the Bullets. I guess we'll never see Cam Bairstow back? His brother doesn't seem to be a DP anymore either.

No news on Jawai returning yet.

Reply #664438 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Jawai is a no go tonight, may return in NZ on Sunday.

Reply #664442 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Bairstow was never coming back this season.

Reply #664444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Trigger's commentary brief to sound as ocker Aussie as possible? "Wombat paw" uh.

Muted.

Reply #664448 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Maybe it's selective memory, but I don't remember Loughton ever playing this well throughout his lengthy career.

Reply #664450 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Brizzy look to be dropping from finals equations.

Reply #664451 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

No way Brisbane makes the finals. Too much of their offense is tough shots from Trice, and they aren't a good enough defensive team to stop the law of averages from kicking them in the behind more often than not.

Reply #664454 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

At this stage of the game should Brisbane be running a halfcourt set where Trice just sits on the weakside not involved in the play?

Reply #664456 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

This quarter has been a textbook example of how to let a team back into a game by Cairns.

Reply #664458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GOT

DAMN

Reply #664459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm shocked the refs actually called that 5 second violation. That isn't how home cooking is meant to work in Cairns.

Reply #664460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Made up for to long in the back court, it all evens out.

Reply #664461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who won?

Reply #664462 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Cairns by 3. Trice missed on the buzzer.

Reply #664463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Is Trigger's commentary brief to sound as ocker Aussie as possible? "Wombat paw" uh.

Muted."
Exactly. It's an absolute joke that he is a commentator.

Reply #664467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Maybe it's selective memory, but I don't remember Loughton ever playing this well throughout his lengthy career."

He played well for Perth when he was in his prime but that was a decade ago. Seemed to always be cruising in Cairns.

Reply #664468 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Should just get Siri to commentate games going forward, maybe that would stop folks complaining so much.

Reply #664469 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

The shot clock needs to hit 15 to be an eight-second violation. Debatable as to whether it was even at 16. Can't trust the Fox clock.

Also, in a word, that game was 'yawn'

Reply #664471 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The shot clock needs to hit 15 to be an eight-second violation
Where did you learn to count?

Reply #664474 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"No way Brisbane makes the finals. Too much of their offense is tough shots from Trice, and they aren't a good enough defensive team to stop the law of averages from kicking them in the behind more often than not."

Their offence is a lot better when Buford is playing. They execute well most of the time and shoot a high clip.

Reply #664478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Manu if you had any cred which you don't how many seconds from 24 is required to get an 8 SECOND violation? ie. 24 - 8 ='s how many? 15 would be the wrong answer. Arguably 14 is incorrect as well.

Reply #664485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Classic Manu. Another boneheaded moment from an average troll.

Reply #664486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Less than average bogan me thinks. How many years did you spend in Grades 4, 5 and 6 Manu?

Reply #664488 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Does the clock stay on 24 for one second then go to 23 or does it go from 24 to 23 as soon as it's reset? With a shot clock that shows each .1 of a second Manu would be right, as the 8 seconds would be up when the clock shows 15.9, NBA is like that pretty sure, don't know if the Cairns clock shows the fractions of seconds in detail.
Does the shot clock in the NBL light up the instant it hits 0 or does it stay on 0 for one second then go off? That would answer the question.

Reply #664489 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Nah not a troll, just miscalculated.

Insult me more, though, anon. What more do you have?

Reply #664490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Less than average bogan me thinks."

Nailed it!

Reply #664491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

24.0 to 16.0.

Reply #664492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melb Boy he said 15 not 15.9.

Reply #664493 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Dude, you're the one person and you're talking to yourself. Pathetic.

Melbourne Boy, 16 is correct assuming that the time between the '24' and '23' count is a complete second. I have to assume that clocks aren't set to start at 24 seconds and skip to 23 right away

Reply #664494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shot clock in most countries shows 24 from 24.0 to 23.1 and then at 23.0 it ticks to 23. We know this because when it from 0.1 to 0.0 is when we see it change from 1 to 0.

16.1 would be displayed as 17 and then 8 seconds after the start it would tick to 16. So, seeing 16 would indicate 8 seconds.

In the NBA, their shot clock has tenths of seconds, so 23.9 is displayed as 23. After 5 it goes to 4.9 and shows the tenths.

Hence the eighth second hasn't finished until 16.0, but it's easier to see the change to 15 as it ticks to 15.9 in the NBA. NBA Refs use that as their instruction.

However, refs here are told not to use the shot clock as they can not guarantee it was started correctly by the bench. It is up to the refs to count it out. And definitely don't use the clock on the TV screen.

Reply #664495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is more than one anon. Oh wait, you don't know how to count.

Reply #664496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No wonder NBL refs make so many mistakes when they have to serve as mental timekeepers due to ancient technology.

Reply #664497 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Manu, stand strong against these simpletons, while the clock is showing 16 there has only been 7.0-7.9 seconds played, tell the anonymous warriors crawl back under their rock.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/nesn.com/2013/05/nbas-seemingly-contradictory-shot-clock-eight-second-violation-rule-really-not-that-complicated/amp/

Reply #664498 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Pretty sure refs are supposed to do an independent 8 second count anyway so as not to rely on a slow reset by a timekeeper.

Reply #664499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melb Boy tha is irrelevant to NBL because as you say refs have to manually count to eight and not rely on clocks so there is no 15 second or 15.9 quirk in NBL.

Reply #664500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Irrelevant being that link which is NBA applicable only.

Reply #664501 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Can anyone answer if the NBL uses shot clocks like the NBA where it shows .1 of a second for the last few seconds? I think they do

Reply #664502 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

If they do and the timekeeper reset the shot clock correctly, it wouldn't be an 8 second violation until it showed 15, Manu was right, anonymous fools wrong!

Reply #664503 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Ah good shit, knew I was onto something. Thanks for the link.

What's up anon (singular), Kobe?

But you two are right in this instance. Just watched the highlights of this game and the '24' doesn't skip to '23' right away, it takes the full second to do so. So when the clock strikes '16', that marks 8 seconds.

Reply #664504 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They don't.

Reply #664505 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

What's heavier, a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers?

Koberulz and the anons:
"Da bricks of course!"

Reply #664506 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

And no, the NBL doesn't do the decimal points (well Cairns Convention Centre anyway), but there is a second between '24' and '23', and '1' and '0', so the anon fuck and Kobe are right unfortunately

Reply #664507 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

But you're right in saying the anon is a dick. Kobe can be too, but at least he isn't posting anonymously.

Over 'em.

Oh, Kobe, man please watch NBL despite Homicide commentating. As I said in the other thread, it's just like blocking out barking dogs in a neighbourhood -- it's something that people lose their shit over but it can quite easily be blocked out. Just block the dude out.

Reply #664508 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Last word from me on this... this debate rests on whether the shot clock goes off the moment it strikes '0' or waits another second to go off. Pretty sure it goes off the moment it hits '0'. But can't be certain. 90 per cent sure.

Thanks again for your contribution, MB.

Reply #664509 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Pretty sure it goes off right on 0, but most ppl on this forum have probably watched more NBA than NBL, where you were correct and even if wrong down here is Aus, definitely not out of place raising the point. The NBL doesn't have a standard issue hoop/backboard/shot clock setup, it's different at each venue as well which means we're probably not even sure.

Reply #664510 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

It's something I'm going to pay attention to for sure. Something tells me the Sydney clock goes to decimals late in the count.

Reply #664511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, we were right. Us anonymous 'fucks'

Reply #664512 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Going through highlight vids, Qudos, Titanium, CCC, Sandpit don't go to decimals. Can't be bothered looking for Perth Arena, Vector/NSEC, Boondall/BCEC

Reply #664513 | Report this post

Duncan  
Years ago

Ok does anyone have any inside info? Weeks starting over Smith makes sense knowing how much Fearne loves guys who stick to the system etc, and Scoochie can be irratic. But he just had 13 points in 9 mins??? What's the deal? And given Cairns have 8 games left is he on the way out?

Reply #664517 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I don't think anything is 'going on' per se. Scoochie doesn't give it his all at trainings and for Fearne to bench a starting PG isn't outside his MO. He did it for Jamar Wilson, as was talked about recently here. Did he do it for Starks?

Scoochie is simply better suited to the bench role. Takes the pressure off the first-year pro and he has more scope to do his thing. He looks like a spark-plug player rather than a floor general who you can rely on to make your team great, at this point in his career anyway.

Reply #664518 | Report this post

Duncan  
Years ago

Agree With everything you say about him being a bench spark plug, and he has come off the bench the last few games but 9 mins, especially when you have 13 points, is very low. And considering he is on an import wage surely you'd have to at least consider a change i.e Edwin last year

Reply #664522 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

He's on the way out. Scoochie doesn't seem able to run the team within Fearne's system. Fearne's given up on him as an effective PG and is trying to squeeze some value out of him by playing him from the bench so he can just focus on scoring.

I'm also fucking sick of watching Jerry Evan Jnr and his 12.5% shooting tonight, his game is so one-dimensional he's in constant danger of folding up into himself and disappearing.

Reply #664523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Manu and Melbourne Boy are right. The 24 second clock is essentially 24.9 ie it takes a second after its reset to hit 23, meaning that if the ball is in the backcourt and the clock hits 15, then its a violation.

Reply #664524 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

From 24..

At the 16th second, it would have been 8 seconds from a fresh 24.

If the ball is still in the back court at 16, it is a violation, it hasn't crossed to the front court after 8 seconds.

Reply #664525 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"I'm also fucking sick of watching Jerry Evan Jnr and his 12.5% shooting tonight, his game is so one-dimensional he's in constant danger of folding up into himself and disappearing."

It's OK...Cairns can go begging to the corner newsagency and get one that shoots 15% instead.

Reply #664526 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The NBL doesn't have a standard issue hoop/backboard/shot clock setup, it's different at each venue
Something tells me the Sydney clock goes to decimals late in the count.
Wrong and wrong.

Manu and Melbourne Boy are right. The 24 second clock is essentially 24.9 ie it takes a second after its reset to hit 23, meaning that if the ball is in the backcourt and the clock hits 15, then its a violation.
And wrong.

Reply #664527 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Kobe in the US when the clock first shows 15 it's 8 seconds, here it's when 16 first shows.

And there is no standard hoop setup in the NBL, the clocks timing mechanism may be set the same as stated above but every venues display/support setup is different. Some venues have a 4 sided shot clock above the backboard, some have a different clock above the backboard plus a seperate two sided clock on the supports behind visible from the corners of the court, Hisense arena only has a single sided shot clock above the backboard which you can't even see on TV, so there is no standard at all.

Reply #664529 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Pretentious, Kobe. Is that how you speak irl?

If they were standard issue systems, they would all be the same. Give an explanation as to why that statement is wrong.

Also, have a readback, I listed stadiums that don't go to decimals

Reply #664530 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Kobe in the US when the clock first shows 15 it's 8 seconds, here it's when 16 first shows.
An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.

And there is no standard hoop setup in the NBL, the clocks timing mechanism may be set the same as stated above but every venues display/support setup is different.
All the clocks function the same, which is all that's relevant to this discussion. Which way they're facing and how they're laid out is irrelevant, as is the NBA rule.

The Perth Arena clocks are capable of the NBA-style function, but it's disabled - presumably due to NBL rules requiring uniformity in function.

FIBA is mandating tenths of a second on the shot clock in the next few years, although I doubt it'll be implemented in the NBL for some time after that.

Reply #664531 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Pretentious again, Kobe. When the 'big' number is 15, it signifies eight seconds. Surely doesn't have to be spelled out for you.

"Standard issue" means standard issue. You're calling someone wrong for your interpretation of how the discourse should go. That right there bottles the mind, like when your thoughts are trapped in a bottle

Reply #664532 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Pretentious
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Reply #664534 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Nah I just don't think you're self-aware

Reply #664536 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

But look man, I don't want to butt heads on the internet aight

Reply #664540 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

I agree with Duncan's questioning of Scoochie's minutes last night. His one stint on the court in the first half was very good and after 7 minutes of court time he had 10 points, had just nailed a 3 and was rolling but Fearne then removed him. In the 3rd qtr, Scoochie didn't make it back on court until there was less than 3 minutes to go and was removed at 3/4 time and was given no further minutes.

It seemed to me that Fearne got the shits with him about the last Taipans play of the qtr where Scoochie decided he would run down the clock and do an iso play which ended up resulting in no points for the Taipans and a 2 point lay up at the other end for Brisbane. He should of been brought back on at some point in the last quarter in my opinion as the Taipans were slowly letting Brisbane back in the game and Weeks was tiring after having spent the majority of the 2nd half on court.

I'm not sure what Scoochie has to do (and he probably doesn't know either). He was benched against Illiwarra and responded to the point he brought us back into the game in the 2nd half and had a big hand in keeping us in it, yet the next game against the Wildcats he didn't play huge minutes and last night he mostly did everything required of him, yet is given less than 10 minutes game time because the coach chucks the shits with him and we then go on to do our very best to lose the game.

I don't agree that Scoochie is a spark plug type of player and think that description fits Weeks better however we are all entitled to our opinions and I certainly don't claim to know it all where basketball is concerned.

I just think it is a major flaw in Fearne's coaching in that he can be so focussed on getting his point across to a player (generally an import) that he loses sight of the what is best for the current game situation.

Reply #664544 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Who's to know what's actually going on, but Fearne's treatment of Scoochie is not out of the ordinary. Maybe Podge can shed some light, he seems to be inner circle.

But yeah, it is a flaw in Fearne's coaching. If a guy is hot, he's hot. Keep him in. He's killed the confidence of many an import with his hard nature. Performing and confidence is a two-way street, especially for kids. Fearne needs to be more nurturing. But he is getting better, I'll say that.

Reply #664562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there a koberulz filter on these forums? If so how can I apply it. Dude's a cancer.

Reply #664566 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

See his symbol and scroll straight past is the best way to go.
Cairns doing well with their Aussies so far Loughton in particular.
2 home games out of 8 and 2 games in Perth will make it tough for them to play finals.

Reply #664569 | Report this post

Greybuoy  
Years ago

Dayshon Smith: productive few minutes for him, maybe not so much for his teammates when he held the floor?
Looking back over his season, no wonder he's coming off the bench.
More mooch than scooch.

Reply #664711 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:05 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754