I see the NBL in his future

Topic #42465 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Reply #664788 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I see the NBL in his future
Supposedly he's leaving the flailing Lakers to contribute to an NBA contender.

Reply #664795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogutbkusyve done something right! Bad teams pick him up, use him sparingly, pay him, then release him to join contenders all the time! If warriors trade Javale, bigot could be the insurance at a cheaper rate for the Warriors.

Reply #664797 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Come to the Celtics big fella!!!

Reply #664798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GSW orCabs for the min

Reply #664800 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Better not go to the Wildcats

Reply #664801 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

It was always a weird fit, despite those that said at the time he was 'signing for next season'.

Hopefully he can link up with a contender. Boston would be good, Wizards could use him too. Maybe the Wolves.

Reply #664803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He'd fit in with the rest of the douches at Adelaide.

Reply #664809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Javale signed at vet minimum so wouldn't be saving anything. And considering he had options repeatedly to sign there and didn't looks like he was a little salty about trade even though it looked amicable.
Spurs would be good destination at this stage of career and skillset.

Reply #664810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope he comes to the NBL if he doesn't land at a legit contender. I always though Lakers seemed a bit of an odd choice and thought he would have been better off coming to the NBL than be at the Lakers. Not a play off side, low pay, limited role... LA situation didn't exactly tick too many boxes of what players are looking for in the NBA.

Reply #664814 | Report this post

NJS  
Years ago

Aren't Milwaukee looking for a new centre?

Reply #664815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know why anyone in the NBA bothers with him anymore.. he’s any injury prone non contributor

Reply #664816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane might be a good fit? They need some help inside and he has played well under Lemanis at the Boomers.

Reply #664817 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I can see Sydney throwing big bucks at him next season. A lot of it for culture. Fewer games, less time in planes, better for an old, banged-up body.

Sack Gaze. Randle and Bogut bookending the lineup. Maybe Prather at the 3. Lisch at the 2. Import 4 man, maybe a stretch guy who can still hold his own under the backboard. Whittington type.

Backups maybe Cadee (I said yesterday that he shouldn't return, but he is a good backup), Humphries, Pineau, Kernich-Drew. That's enough. If Blanchfield is on a multi-year contract then he comes off the bench and you got 10 guys there.

Reply #664820 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Kernich-Drew or Steindl. One of them should be available and Sydney should snap up. Daniel Dillon on the market or multi-year deal at Melbourne?

Reply #664821 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Steindl is contracted for next year at Perth

Reply #664823 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Ah yeah, Kernich-Drew is due to break out anyway. Bring him over

Reply #664825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney need guys that can defend, Craig Moller would've been a good start.

Reply #664826 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

He'll go to a contender for sure but if by slim chance he ends up at the Kings, he'd be an interesting one to watch with his no-nonsense, vocal personality.

Reply #664836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut is straight trash. He tried signing with a contender pre season and nobody wanted him. Luke Walton pushed for Bogut because his ties with him. Thankfully the Lakers got rid of him.

Reply #664895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's better, Bogut or Pachulia?

Reply #665013 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

It's such a shame he had so many injury issues. Was definitely a talent and one of the best players to come out of Australia.

Reply #665037 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

I'm sure the Kings still have the promo material from the old Lockout attempt... could save a few bucks...

Would love to see him back, especially at the Kings (it's not beyond their thinking to splash out all the $$$ on him and then have no money left for anyone else) and I don't really follow the NBA, but surely he'll be able to skip around to random teams the next season or so still?

Reply #665058 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Moving to where other players have asked for him. It won't be GSW because he isn’t blinded by faith.

Reply #665059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will always be remembered as one of the worst #1 picks of all time

Reply #665063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No he won't.

Reply #665064 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

He was a very solid player in his prime. Not even in the discussion for busts, let alone worst #1 picks of all time. You're an idiot.

Reply #665068 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Is he money-motivated though? The vet minimum isn't mind-blowingly more than what the Kings would offer him. What's a couple million to (probably) a hundred-millionaire?

Should all come down to what he wants more... to be idolised in a big role in what should be a championship contender in his home country, or a minor role in a league with more prestige. From the outside looking in, I know what I'd do.

Plus he'd have more opportunity to hang out with good pal Liz Cambage

Reply #665069 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Honestly, Bogut would not produce enough to justify the $$$ needed to get him out here at this point in his career - he's better off pocketing a few million a year as a team's 3rd big in the NBA, if he can get it. Failing that, sure, but if an NBL team drops big coin and promotes him using footage of the Bucks' years Bogut, I think they're going to be disappointed.

Reply #665072 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Not even close by the hater up there ^

Was definitely the league's second best center behind Dwight Howard, and was gaining ground. To this day he was one of the best passing NBA bigs this century. Was starting to master the concept of horizontal space. Beast defensively and a guy you could actually throw the ball to on the block. Great athlete for his size. Then the injuries. Cannot stand when people call others a bust because of injuries. Takes credibility away from everyone and lets the real busts (Kwame, Bennett etc) off the hook. Greg Oden was near enough to a HOF lock if healthy. Poor bastard. How dare someone label those guys busts. Seriously

Reply #665073 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I doubt any NBL team would be naive enough to promote him in such a way. They'd realise they couldn't fool the general public like that, because his career has been so well followed over here.

Would Bogut take $200-$300k? I'd be happy dishing that up for the culture and learning opportunities for teammates. I assume he'd be the kind of guy yo give back to up-and-comers like that. Humphries could be his pet project

Reply #665074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Be guy still got two seasons and a few million in cash available to him on the NBA in the right situation no way he taking $250k in the NBL.

Also he'll want go level comp until at least the Olympic s or his body gives out

Reply #665080 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

If he is serious about playing in 2020 Olympics (he will be nearly 36) the NBL would be much better for his body than NBA.
Sydney would be most likely spot for him.
If the young Lakers don't want him why would a contending team

Reply #665082 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Bogut was waived because the deadline was approaching that his vet min contract was to become fully guaranteed for the rest of the season.

If a crap team like the Lakers isn't even willing to give him a vet min contract for the whole season I think his NBA career is just about done.

There would be a slight chance another NBA team picks him up for this season but I would think the chances of getting an NBA contract next season would be almost nil unless he would be willing to take a training camp invite and try and play his way onto a roster.

More chance of him playing in the NBL for a Melbourne or Sydney next season I would've thought.

Reply #665088 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

If Sydney sign him I guarantee every highlight of him on the Kings' social media pages will be from his Bucks days throwing down dunks, and JvG will be expecting 20-10 from him.

Reply #665089 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I could see him going home to play for Melbourne maybe as a direct replacement for David Andersen. Most of Melb's team is out of contract after this season but I wouldn't they could expect much more than say 8 & 5 out of him.

Reply #665091 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Bogut was never a bust. He was potentially an all-star, but injuries cruelled this and led to him being a role player.

Bogut was looking like a genuine inside/outside beast, but the elbow (?) injury hobbled his outside shot.

In spite of the injuries, look at how important he's been for the Boomers. He’s still a basketball-smart big guy a team can run the offence through and change an opponents offensive game by.

Bogut is still our greatest NBA product to date (but will be surpassed by Jnr Simmons).

Reply #665117 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Ok, so I readily admit to being out of touch with the NBA for a long time, and even most of the Aussie players these days, but SURELY any team would be able to expect more than 8 & 5 out of him?!

Ok, I'm bored at work so it's devil's advocate time... Say the Kings DO splash some cash at him and he's healthy to last a whole season... Say they can average an extra 3,000 people to all 14 home games just based on his name alone, averaging out at maybe $25 ticket ($15 for cheapest, $35 for decent ones), that's $1.05M just on tickets, not even factoring jersey sales, overpriced game day food sales, bringing in sponsors... So $750k for 28 games (Kings will manage to screw it up and still not make the playoffs) seems to be more than reasonable... Try to get some injury clauses in to minimise risk and playing decent minutes in a decent comp would be fairly good for him to stay in shape for the 2020 Olympics, yes?

Reply #665119 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Zodiac I think you'll find it was a mutual move. The Lakers need more perimeter shooting and this gives Bogut the chance to join a playoff team. Nothing to do with the Lakers not want to give him a vet minimum because he's washed up.

He'll sign with someone in the playoff hunt soon enough - most likely the Bucks.

Reply #665120 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Ok, so I readily admit to being out of touch with the NBA for a long time, and even most of the Aussie players these days, but SURELY any team would be able to expect more than 8 & 5 out of him?!

Unlikely he was only averaging 1.5 ppg & 3.3 rpg this season.

Reply #665122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The lakers don't need perimeter shooting they have Lonzo Ball for that

Reply #665123 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Agree with him playing in NBL.

NBL teams/ PR have a penchant for promoting "ex NBA", “Boomer” and “NBA calibre/future” recruits. Bogut would tick at least 2 boxes (still NBA calibre IMHO).

I like WookieE's estimates. Bogut would put bums on seats and sell merchandise.

Who needs the boost the most? Sydney.

If it was the AFL, an equivalent player would be largely paid by the league to develop an emerging/ underperforming market (think Ablett Jr at the Suns, the NRL converts etc).

Maybe Bogut could be enticed with a leg-up to a post-ball career start.

Reply #665124 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Zodiac I think you'll find it was a mutual move. The Lakers need more perimeter shooting and this gives Bogut the chance to join a playoff team. Nothing to do with the Lakers not want to give him a vet minimum because he's washed up.

That's the spin Bogut's people have put on it but the reality is his vet min contract was about to become fully guaranteed so the Lakers cut him now before the deadline. They're only looking to replace him with a 10 day contract guy.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/01/06/report-lakers-to-release-andrew-bogut/

Ask yourself if there was any real interest in Bogut why did he only sign late in the off-season with a crap Lakers team that weren't even willing to give him a fully guaranteed vet min deal?

Reply #665125 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Why all the talk about Sydney?

He grew up in Melbourne.

Both teams have $ and few players contracted for next season, but give that Melbourne is his original home, would make United a more likely destination.

Reply #665128 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

It's the spin the Lakers put on it actually. They want the option for guys on 10-day contracts because they clearly need more perimeter shooting and wanted to give Bogut the chance to sign with a playoff team...which he will...

Reply #665129 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Unlikely he was only averaging 1.5 ppg & 3.3 rpg this season.

Yeah, in 9mpg... Factor in against NBA level talent and inconsistent minutes to a solid 25-30mpg against NBL level talent and really the only factor would be his drive to actually make the effort and be a standout that would stop him averaging a double-double...

He grew up in Melbourne.

Well, ignoring the (inflammatory) fact that why would you choose Melbourne if Sydney was an option ;)
Melbourne is of course a really very logical option and if it wasn't for the Kings attempt to sign him during the lockout (and the fact that they're a proven "give the biggest names lots of cash and hope for the best" nutbag management) then United would be the only option, I guess...

Reply #665131 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Scooch, if you want to believe that go right ahead. Just keep in mind what kind of contract the Lakers gave him and who their coach is and what his history with Bogut was.

This contract was an NBA lifeline for Bogut it doesn't mean there is no chance another team will pick him up eventually this season but clearly his NBA days are numbered.

Reply #665134 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Yeah, in 9mpg...

Exactly.

Reply #665135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder how long Greg Hire is out for

Reply #665137 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

So what is the issue with Bogut, then?

Is it merely that his body is breaking down? Can't he pass a physical?

Cos on face value, it makes zero sense that there wouldn't be NBA interest. He was one of the best defensive and passing big men in the NBA not long ago.

The Warriors were in a winning position in the Finals 18 months ago until he got injured. IMHO the entire city of Cleveland can thank Bogut's injury for breaking their 50 whatever year championship drought.

And he's only, what, 33? If he joined the Spurs he'd barely be considered a veteran....

Reply #665151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering Bogut didn't help the Warriors win the title the year before, his absence probably didnt mean much when Cleveland won. He completely shat the bed in the first Finals and its been all downhill since then.

Reply #665155 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Bogut had been handy in the 2016 finals.

It was after his injury that Lebron (and to a lesser extent Irving) started aggressively attacking the hoop and scoring off the drive. I bet Kerr would've loved to throw Bogut in for some rim protection.

Reply #665166 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Fwiw Bogut had 10 blocks in 60 minutes in the first 4 and a half games of 2016 finals.

Warriors may have been outscored with him on court but I reckon if he was still available, he could've made a big difference because of the way Lebron and Kyrie exposed the Warriors D without him.

Reply #665167 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

But notwithstanding his contribution in the finals, he was still a key contributor in a great team over a couple of years there.

So the question remains, why wouldn't NBA teams be interested? Look at the $ Tyson Chandler is on, or Aaron Baynes.

Reply #665168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The fact he played 60 minutes in four and a half games tells you how little he was valued, probably because he shat the bed the year before.

Reply #665171 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Not sure that you need to be so pejorative with your assessment of Bogut's role on the Warriors.

No doubt for match up reasons he became less useful in the finals but he was a useful contributor in earlier rounds and during the season (when healthy). The Warriors had a specific tactic of starting games big and finishing them small. Can’t say it didn’t work until the Finals.

Bogut if healthy would still be a good player in the NBL - better than Jawai say - but not athletic enough these days to tear the comp apart. Depends on whether he is healthy though.

Reply #665172 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Bogut's body language on the bench was atrocious from day one. He was like a statue when his team mates did good things. The guy is a bit of a douche and perhaps his value is diminished by his attitude.

Reply #665197 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Didn't Kings have him all but signed (scuttled by insurance) in the lockout? And it's also the sort of questionable marketing move the Kings tend to make.

Reply #665209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

time to hang up his boots

Reply #665213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, he needs to retire and become the Ambassador for Political Correctness Gone Mad.

Reply #665220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

triggered. all these excuses with "injuries"

Reply #665224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will wait until his agent (Rita Panahi) comes up with a better offer.

Reply #665225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut good in the NBA Finals? Averaged 3 pts and 3 rebs. Kerr struggled to keep him on the court and obvious why in both Finals.

Reply #665227 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Yes, I realise he was almost signed by the Kings but that was 5 years ago when the Kings had different owners.

You're right though, it does smell like the sort of move they would make.

It would certainly get a few extra bums on seats.

Randle and Bogut, let's hope they get along!

Reply #665230 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Depending on his body, I think a rich man's Maric (circa 2016-17) is what he would have to offer, which would be fine on a winning team, but underwhelming as far as an on-court spectacle goes for a team like the Kings.

Reply #665233 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Quite a bit more than a rich man's Maric I reckon, physically he will still be standout in the NBL. Trying to prevent him offensive rebounding would be difficult.

If you think Tyler was dominant when parked in front of opponent's rim, Bogut's size and reach is one more level above that even at this twilight stage. 7'3" wingspan with 9'3" standing reach coupled with high bball IQ is something we've never seen here I'm sure.

His major weakness would be perimeter defense, he is a lot slower than he was. Sadly, your current coach has no clue how to teach his team how to properly rotates.

Reply #665244 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Dont the Lakers and Kings have ownership connections?

Reply #665245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Lakers and Kings do I believe

Reply #665247 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Would Melbourne replace an aging Andersen with an aging and injury prone Bogut?
For next season of course.

Reply #665251 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Bogut's size is nothing new there are even bigger guys currently in the NBL like Alex Pledger and much bigger in the past like Sam Harris, Luke Nevill & Jason Eversteyn.

Reply #665254 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Steve did mention basketball IQ as well, so that rules out most of them... and it's not like all those examples were top shelf...

Reply #665256 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Thx Wookiee, I should emphasise the IQ bit I suppose. If it was size alone, Neville would be the most imposing with a mammoth 7'6" wingspan IIRC. A cardboad cutout of Yao Ming wrapped around a power pole would be even more imposing and as skillful as some of the guys Zodiac mentioned...

Reply #665288 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

If he ever comes to the NBL, it would generate extreme hype for the game, lets hope that if he does, it is at least when he still has game...

Reply #665440 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:37 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754