Baller#3
Years ago

Memorial drive upgrade not big enough?

The advertiser states that the new stadium will be 6000 seats and be able to host multiple events including basketball. I feel this is a mistake if this plan goes ahead. Needs to be 10k seats imo.

Topic #42476 | Report this topic

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Tennis SA are living in LA LA land if they think basketball and netball will benefit from a venue that size.

Reply #665022 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Is it just Tennis SA though? This sounds more like the state government and city council in their ongoing crusade to have all major events happen in or around the city centre.

6,000 would be an upgrade on the netball stadium's 3,000 capacity.....but its still smaller than the 8,000 seat TSA and the 10,300 seat Entertainment Centre.

Reply #665028 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Perhaps the 36ers have indicated they wouldn't move? If the 36ers owners own their stadium, they'd be seriously devaluing it if they pulled the major tenant?

Otherwise, yes, it seems limiting. If basketball is getting 7000 now, you'd think 8000-10000 is realistic in the city.

Reply #665032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thats how we roll in SA...hopefully we managed a really crap finance arrangement so generations get the joy of payin off something we didnt want that doesn't do the job it was intended for...

Reply #665043 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Adelaide's population is what, 1.3 million or so? Demographics weighted towards over 65s, smaller taxpaying base (20- 65 year olds) than east coast capitals and Perth, few really big employers, etc. Hard to justify a bigger facility for sports and entertainment.

Reply #665050 | Report this post

6000 is useless for Basketball when we've got a purpose built stadium that fits (and is currently filling) more punters. If it was 8-10k then I imagine it'd be perfect for a marquee match or two per season and could be widely marketed to pull in the casual supporter.

Reply #665075 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

This is a proposal from Tennis SA and says it COULD benefit Basketball but in no way does it say they were in talks with the sixers or BSA.

If it goes ahead, it could work as a special venue to bring in a new audience, could work on Friday nights here and there, especially in Mid Dec and Jan, weather is good, people are out and about after work in city and District comp is on the summer break, we could field them in to games and maybe pick up some new fans.

Reply #665076 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

6ers could quite easily pull 10k in school holidays. 6000 seats for most sports isnt enough imo.

Reply #665081 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm all for basketball getting some help or whatever but what would be the reasoning or justification for the Sixers needing to move to a larger venue?

Adelaide Arena holds 8,000 and I don't think they've come that close to a sell out this season. If you were selling out every home game consistently maybe that consider the somewhat crazy idea of leaving a purpose built basketball venue but otherwise?

Plus if the Sixers did sell out games, which they don't they could always go back to playing games at the Entertainment Centre. I've never really understood why the 36ers would be interested in playing at a revamped multi-purpose Memorial Drive facility.

Reply #665100 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

The open air design will not accomodate Basketball or Netball.

The design is effectively a rebuild of the existing stands with a large sail over the top , open at the ends.

Reply #665106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"go back to playing games at the Entertainment centre"

Zodiac, the 36ers have never played an NBL game at the Entertainment Centre. One charity game against the Crows which the Crows and State Government funded.

The cost of hiring that venue for one game would be equal to a season at TSA. Plus the limit on dates. Plus the set up required.

Reply #665126 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Zodiac, the 36ers have never played an NBL game at the Entertainment Centre. One charity game against the Crows which the Crows and State Government funded.

That would be news to my brother who went and saw them play an NBL game at the Ent Centre many years ago.

Reply #665127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he's wrong.

Reply #665130 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

36ers have NEVER played an NBL game at the Ent Cent

They have played 2 games, one for charity v the Crows and another V Noarlunga Tigers ( may have been an SBL All Star team)

Reply #665138 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Okay maybe it was the game against Noarlunga because it wasn't a muck around game against the Crows.

I was living with our dad and my brother with our mum at the time and a lady that used come and babysit took him to a 36ers game at the entertainment centre and he must've been mistaken in thinking Noarlunga was another NBL team.

Reply #665140 | Report this post

BB4  
Years ago

They played a game at the convention centre too didn't they back in the day, a pre-season game from memory

Reply #665141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6,600? Confirmed no money in Adelaide.

Reply #665142 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Yes played at the convention centre but the court was modified in size to get it to fit

Reply #665143 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I think the location of memorial drive has the opportunity to pull more casual fans. For instance i dont attend as many 6ers games as i like living in the north east as its a 40 minute commute. Also the propotion of heading to a bar after a game in the city would be huge

Reply #665146 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

The amount of seats is governed by the small space it will be built on I guess. Not much room squished in between the river/road and the oval on a bend.

Reply #665152 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

It is a half-arsed proposal for a 6,000 seat open air stadia for a sport that has been culturally dead in this state for 20 years.

Sixers would easily get 8-10k to basketball games on the fringes of the city merely by the "Adelaide Oval effect". Findon is a nowhere spot without public transport, dinner or cultural facilities that other than basketball fanatics no one wants to go to. Just the same as West Lakes for football (even though public transport was provided, it was still an horrific location).

Reply #665162 | Report this post

36Boggers  
Years ago

any adequate stadium in the city will pull 10k fans to a sixers game - AFL has never looked back since moving there!

Reply #666569 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:31 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754