AngusH
Years ago

Kings release Jeremy Tyler

What a shock. More minutes for Singh!!!!!!!

With eight games remaining in the Kings' 2017-2018 NBL campaign a determination was made that the promotion and development of prospects at the centre and power forward positions would be most beneficial for the Kings’ future.

Simultaneously, Tyler's release allows him the freedom to explore future plans which are anticipated to include a summer program designed to enhance his future high-level ambitions.

"We thank Jeremy Tyler for his efforts since he joined the Kings midway through the season and we wish him all the best as he takes on his next challenge," Sydney Kings Managing Director Jeff Van Groningen stated.

"He is an undoubted talent and his skill set is unique. However, at this time we are keen to look closely at some of the young big men both on our roster and on the edge of it."

"We believe Isaac Humphries is an exciting player and possesses attributes that, combined with hard work, could see him achieve great heights down the line, while Dane Pineau's development this season has been pleasing. We have youngsters Deng Acouth (211cm) and Darcy Malone (213cm) as part of our development player list and we anticipate they'll get a chance to experience being part of the squad at some stage over the remaining eight games.

Topic #42478 | Report this topic

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Making room for Bogut obviously

Reply #665199 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

They should 'evaluate their talent' in the off season, not when people are paying too much to watch a shitty product, that just got worse. Like him or not, he was avg 14 a night on 56% shooting.

I wonder if they'll keep putting Lisch on the billboard posters advertising games when its clear as day he wont play again this season.

Reply #665200 | Report this post

Pretty sure "evaluate their talent" is just code for "Tyler is sick of this shit and wants out".

Reply #665201 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Hey maybe we should try Perry at the 5 spot! What a matchup nightmare that would be for the rest of the league!

Reply #665202 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

I'd be fine with him if that is the case, and he wanted to head back home. Bad enough just rocking up for 2 hours to see them play, imagine doing that 7 days a week within the club when its just loss after loss.

Will be the same story next year, anyone not already contracted wont be back. So Lisch and Newley back and that's about it. No way Ellis or Randle will want to stay, nor will the bulk of this season's members.

Reply #665203 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

On Saturday I saw him talking with Van Groningen after the 4th foul he got. I can't recall if he sought out Jeff or the other way round, but it could well have been the conversation that started this outcome. They talked for probably 2 mins at the chair Tyler sometimes takes behind the baseline.

Tyler was as pissed at the reffing as Ive seen him, including an aggressive towel toss when a teammate got a foul, and a brilliant staredown of the ref at the timeout after his 4th foul. I thought he was going to confront the guy, he just kept staring him down from the huddle.

So the above commenter saying he left is probably accurate - the way these games are called, no wonder so many ex NBAers struggle to find it fun.

Reply #665207 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

This guy is shooting at 56 %, one of their best players. Keep Singh, Pineau, Humphries and release JT. Does that make any sense? I would say, he jumped from a sinking ship.

Reply #665214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When will Sydney learn how to recruit imports properly?

Childress and Ellis were good signings, but who else recently?

Randle doesn't count as he was a proven commodity in the NBL.

Reply #665215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a stinking clusterf#$k the kings are.

Reply #665216 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

I'm sure Loeliger and Kestelman will have the reffing for new imports as a topic of interest for discussion.

Reply #665217 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Signing him was an attempt to salvage post-season aspiration. With that officially dead, he became an expensive liability.

Money may not be the only driving force behind the decision, but certainly a major factor for a club haemorrhaging it and fan support. With one concession after another, Jeff how about you fix another and perhaps your biggest blunder? Shawn Dennis is waiting.

Reply #665218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris you've obviously never watched an NBA game in full if you think the refs in the NBL are more confusing than the NBA ones!

Reply #665219 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

This guy is shooting at 56 %, one of their best players. Keep Singh, Pineau, Humphries and release JT. Does that make any sense? I would say, he jumped from a sinking ship.
Pineau and Humphries might play for the Kings next season. They didn't want Tyler back so why keep him around for a now-dead campaign?

Not sure how they thought a player with Tyler's reputation was going to get on track under Gaze.

Reply #665222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tyler was a cancer, played poor defence, Kings got this one right. The article saying Humphries is a talent also mentions that if he works hard, not a strong point.
Lisch, Newley and Blanchfield signed for next season I believe.

Reply #665223 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"Chris you've obviously never watched an NBA game in full if you think the refs in the NBL are more confusing than the NBA ones!"

Can confirm that I've watched an NBA game in full, and you're incorrect.

Reply #665226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet another failed recruiting coup. Please, please Sydney sort this out long before next season starts.
Let's not have another junkette to the Summer league to select crap (again)

Reply #665228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

removing him is another masterstroke by JVG, following the masterstroke of bringing him in

Reply #665229 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Trimmingham still around?

Reply #665232 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Jeff how about you fix another and perhaps your biggest blunder? Shawn Dennis is waiting.

I'll second that call.

Reply #665234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whittington late callup?

Reply #665235 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Not sure who is the bigger nutcase, Tyler or the Kings.

A team with all their resources should be dominating, not struggling to win a game.

Reply #665236 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Every move they have made from Gaze as a coach down to the majority of roster decisions have been made to try and put bums on seats instead of for basketball reasons... What JvG has failed to realise is that it takes wins to do that. Everything else the team has done has been a considerable improvement under the new owners EXCEPT what's happened on the court.

Reply #665238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Al Harrington has been spotted around the harbour..

Reply #665240 | Report this post

SM  
Years ago

Good decision. Hopefully they hold onto Randle and Ellis for next season. And considering their average track record with import signings, they should steal another proven NBL import. Throw money at a Prather, Conger, Tokoto etc.

In regards to Bogut. If he plays NBL surely it'd be Melbourne, he seems quite passionate about his hometown.

Reply #665249 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

If no chance of Lisch coming back I wonder if the Kings would consider Jeremy Kendle for rest of season.

Reply #665250 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Can playoff bound teams pick him up by dropping an import? Whats the go now? #excusemyignorance

Reply #665252 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

So after sifting through a lot of fan indignation and "good riddance" comments on the various facebook fan pages, there is a rumour from a fairly solid sauce that apparently Tyler hasn't been turning up to trainings... Did it again this morning and that was the last straw...

The timing is pretty shit and he should never have been signed in the first place, but the timing is atrocious, perfect for the Kings... with 8 games to go there isn't even a chance of getting some random import in to fill the spot just to make up numbers as the odds on Adelaide winning Saturdays game just got a LOT shorter... It's gonna be a massacre of a remainder of the season even compared to the first 20 games...

Reply #665255 | Report this post

Herve Villechaize  
Years ago

Given their performances, I'd say Tyler wasn't the only one not turning up to training.

Reply #665257 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"Can playoff bound teams pick him up by dropping an import? Whats the go now?"

If you are playoff bound, why would you want to F it up by signing him?

Reply #665258 | Report this post

Raskall  
Years ago

Why should we change our reffing to suit the imports? Its our league, so our rules. If they can't adjust then they are obviously not professional enough and we don't need them. JT was clearly not working in this league.

Reply #665259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't turn up either if Gaze was the coach. It wouldn't surprise me if he stills runs single file layup and dribble tag drills like under 10's.

Reply #665260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does this mean he will give randle less than 40 minutes a game for the purpose of developing the guards?

Reply #665263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What guards?

Reply #665265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shawn Dennis already has a coaching gig in Japan

Reply #665266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam Dayly and Christian Jurlina are the DP guards, they should be given a go, Jurlina can certainly play defence. Give one a shot one week and the other the next, what's to lose, 10/15 minutes each, see who's got game. Blanchfield ahead of Moller not looking to good now especially when you consider what Blanchfield is costing.
Kings got start again, get some youth and build a team around solid imports.

Reply #665267 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

Get Brian Goorjian back by whatever means necessary and then the rest will take care of itself. He would have had the original Leslie/Ellis/Newley/Lisch/Blanchfield core at about 12-8, worst case scenario right now. Humphries would be a far superior version of what he is to boot.

Reply #665268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris, Brian was horrible at developing talent. Recruited well but most grossly under achieved.

Also he's sent numerous clubs broke, including the Kings. Won some titles, lost more than he won, but it certainly came at a cost.

Reply #665270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goorjian only works if the club is prepared to spend money. That hasn't appeared to be the case in the past few years.

Reply #665271 | Report this post

John Fairs  
Years ago

With these things there is always a lot that goes on behind the scenes, so who really knows what happened. The facts are that Tyler was the best offensive centre in the league so you can reach your own conclusions on why he was not wanted for the future.

Reply #665274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The club is clearly prepared to spend money now. It is even prepared to just throw it away judging by some of the moves this season. So getting Goorj should not be a problem if he is interested. Would he be? He is probably doing great for himself in a place that pays even more.

Reply #665276 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Shawn Dennis was interviewed for the Kings game and was not accepted.
Why would he want to get involved with a rabble like them.
Far better ff where he is and if another job comes up then could be considered for that but certainly not the rabble they call the SYDNEY KINGS

Reply #665277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tyler was on the road in Brisbane and didn't play. He then wanted to have a few days off on the Goldie. Shows where his head is. Up his arse.NO loss.
How he even got selected in the first place is a joke. Many said immediately after his selection he was a bust. Who cares about his on court "ability" Collectively he's left another club in another season, again. His rep has preceded him and JVG couldn't even see or ask expert advice from someone like Goorj in China who would know first hand.

Reply #665280 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

NBA has had no issue changing the rules and reffing over the years to suit the stars mate = happy fans = more $$$

Reply #665282 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

"Bronny can travel til his heart's content" - Adam Silver

Reply #665284 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Shawn Dennis already has a coaching gig in Japan

Yes, the B league season will conclude in May. Shiga is currently on a 3 game losing streak and may miss the playoffs. While its not good optics, it wouldn't be a fair reflection of what Shawn has done so far.

Trying to contend while developing local talent in Japan is a very tough challenge. Right now against opposition top import PGs, Shawn's starting Japanese PG Namizato is leading the league in assists.

Now is a good time to start some conversation. You don't know what may happen in the next few weeks, they may go on a big winning streak and the opportunity may not be there.

Interestingly, Shiga recently broke their piggy bank and signed Venky Jois. If you play it right, by next season you may end up with a roster filled with promising local talent coached by someone who is a proven talent developer and defensive mastermind to complement your aging stars.

Reply #665286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #665287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#280 sounds like Donald Trump.

Reply #665291 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

I definitely agree that the Kings are in SERIOUS trouble being able to attract coaching and playing talent to the team... They've been an absolute fucking nutcase organisation since coming back, doing things half-arsed and making stupid decisions, but there was some hope when AEG bought them out and I will own up to hoping at the time that JvG could actually make some right calls, but then signing his mate from the Tigers to actually coach, over the much more experienced Dennis was fucking mental...

The only decent thing signing Gaze did for the team was to boost the profile and get people talking about the team again... People who hadn't been interested in it since he last played were now talking about it and the Kings were getting some traction... It's all been downhill since...

The tough decisions have to be made and Harvey Lister needs to step in and sack both Jeff and Andrew and go back to a proven coach who can attract and develop talent... Start with the 3yr plan again next season otherwise it will all be for nothing...

The fact that Shawn is now coaching Venky (someone who I haven't been shy about saying that the Kings should have signed initially) is just icing on the cake and would be a huge coup for the team to get both of them...

But why would they WANT to come? Throwing fistfuls of cash at people will only work so much if they have to deal every day with the madness and especially in the head coach positions case, someone else who is grossly unqualified, making the decisions for you and sticking you with all the blame if it doesn't work out...

Reply #665309 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

What sort of crowds were they getting before the Damien Cotter / Joe Connelly season? I only came back on board then, when they signed Al Harrington. Aside from the last game at the Entertainment Centre v Perth, which was an embarrassing loss, the crowds now were better than back then.

The final 5 or so home games at the State Sports Centre were never sold out, and that place doesn't hold 4,000 from what I can tell. Added to that is now you cannot buy discounted tickets, not on the back of supermarket dockets or Telstra Thanks like you could that season.

They will probably hype it all enough once again next season and sucker people in once more. They wont be getting another $550 from me for a season ticket, that's for sure.

As for the current setup, if they keep getting over 5,000 a game, commercially they are doing well, and its probably rent free there given the ownership setup.

Reply #665312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who cares it its rent free. The fans want a team that is at least competitive not this piss weak excuse for the Kings that we see now.
Andrew Gaze needs to be sacked as does JvG. Lister grow a pair. Their is no way from a commercial business point of view you are doing those balls.

Reply #665314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is Venky now playing in Japan, what happened to his contract in Europe? Isn't he a 2/3 just what the Kings don't need. Gaze is copping a lot of flack for a shit team structure, they had to sign a gun point guard and five man before the season started and none of this bull shit small ball. They weren't that far off the mark last season but threw the baby out with the bath water.

Import/ humphries
Import/ garlepp/Moller
Newely/ Moller
Lisch/Newely/young local.
Import/ Cadee
Two more good locals to finish the list. Whittington has been as good as Ellis IMO, certainly defended better.

Reply #665327 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Isn't he a 2/3 just what the Kings don't need.

Ahh... No. You only have to look at him to know that he's not that sort of player... He's probably slightly taller than Blanchfield, but while Todd is playing out of position at the 4, Venky is a lot more solid and is built to rebound and score inside... Lead his team in pts (17.6), rebounds (9.4) and steals (1.7) and 2nd in assists (3), exactly what the Kings needed this season...

Whittington ended up with a bad attitude and it severely effected his on court play... While Ellis has a much better personality, couldn't defend his way out of a moist paper bag...

Reply #665342 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

I dont know what happened to Jois in Europe, but i he is a PF, and the physical type of player the kings need

Shawn Dennis would also be a way better coach and should be signed if available

Imagine a team of

Coach Dennis

Humphries/Import big who rebounds and defends - Ibekwe?
Jois/Import pf/sf or PF/C- Childress type or Jacobsen type??/Pinau
Newley/Blanchfield
Lisch/Cadee
Randle(only if available from day 1)/??Weeks or Dillon or Carter or Daly

You would still have 7 returning players for some continuity and if this is put together from day 1 not when the season is dead they should be a playoff contender with the better coaching and a coupe of extra guys who play defense and actually do things to help the team win

If Humphries leaves as if heard is likely, then get the best aussie available to replace him and the 3rd import would be better as more of a pf/c than a sf/pf type.

Reply #665344 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Bit unfair to Say Gorj sent the Kings broke. The club was majority owned by a fraud with no money so it wasn't that hard

Reply #665354 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

I think the old comments of Goorj driving teams broke was because he always demanded the best off the court as well? (supplements, top level trainers/physios etc?) This would have had a bigger impact the last time he was in the league which was what, nearly a decade ago? Teams now see the value in that stuff more these days, wouldn't they?

Unless there was other stuff driving these comments?

As for him not being a developer of talent, I think that's sort of right as, again, correct me if I'm wrong as it was a while ago, he was absolutely fantastic about getting the best and more out of players to suit the team and to get wins... Compared to a Shawn Dennis type of coach who could grow and develop players, they're two different types of coaches...

If you want immediate wins and to build a team that will win now and make the playoffs, Goorj is your man... If you have a three year plan, want to bring in some young players and grow them with a core group of established players, then Dennis is probably your best bet...

In other words, Dennis is who the Kings needed instead of Gaze... Goorj is who they need NOW...

Reply #665364 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

You have zero chance of luring Goorjian away from his current gig. The coaching crown prince of China's national team A isn't going to budge from his current position.

I think he may even turn down an NBA gig as they prepare for 2020. Chinese basketball collosal rise is gathering momentum and he is in prime position to reap the benefits both financial and reputation-wise.

As for Jois, Shiga bought out Jois' contract from Osijek to give Shawn the speed and rebounding he needed for his frontline. It wouldn't be cheap I reckon.

But why would they WANT to come?

There would still be some attraction to return for Shawn I presume. The challenge to turn around a basket-case organisation in the biggest city is always attractive to anyone who wants to test their experience.

Newcastle is just up the highway, good mate Bevo a quick drive south (though hobnobbing with blood enemies should be strongly discouraged!), closer to family, chance to resume turning Todd into a Boomer superstar (I can hear the snickers...).

If anything, getting him is even more logical if you want to attract some of his old players. Norton and Kay are FAs next season. If you can retain Humphries, you can build a very solid roster.

If you don't already know, Jois' and Wilson's agent is Entersports. Ball is in Jeff's court though...

Reply #665369 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Oh there's no chance, but just saying in the grand scheme of things, if the Kings wanted to win NOW, that's who they'd need...

As a local, there are definitely positives for Shawn to come back home and it would be a great challenge that I think he can excel at, but with Jeff in charge, will he be fully able to do what he needs to do to get it done?

Depends if Jeff stays, and if he does, how he can sell it... IF he is capable of understanding that that's what needs to be done... Some serious pulling of his head out of his own arse is needed, which I don't have faith in him being capable of...

I was thinking of Norton and Kay as well and am on the record of being huge fans of both of them... they both posses qualities that are vital to rebuilding the right culture...

And yup... Jois, Isaac, Randle, Wilson, and nearly half the NBL are represented by Entersport... If Olgun is to be believed and taking into consideration his ties to everyone involved, he should be, players have been offered but turned down... I'm sure they could have helped the Kings out in the NBA pre-season game as well, but for some reason the Kings wanted to go it alone...

The Kings have proven time and time again that Jeff thinks he knows what's best and has a stubborn streak that has been to the detriment to the team and if it continues will be it's downfall...

Reply #665375 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

On court pretty good , other than all the fouls.
Liked to watch Randle and Tyler.
Others only moderate.

Reply #665383 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

nearly half the NBL are represented by Entersport

LOL the sarcasm! They only have about a dozen players in the NBL I think but along with Turning Point, they are two of the more prominent ones.

Jeff just needs to do what he does best which is: run the business side and spend as much as the boss is willing to. After hiring the right coaching team of course!

Hiring a noob then getting involved trying to 'help' just messes things up even more.

Reply #665403 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

lol no sarcasm intended... have been a fan of the agent in question for a while, he's managed to bring some quality talent back to our shores (and then took some away :( but then brought them back :) )

Not sure where I said it, I've been ranting a lot today, but is Jeff capable of siting back and letting even a top quality coach coach? Does he only meddle because he doesn't have the right coach or will he not going to be able to give over control to even a proven coach?

Reply #665418 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:09 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754