Curtley
Years ago

Pro sports teams based in two locations.

What do people think of a future where expansion teams could be based across two different geographic locations whereby home games are split? In the event the NBL gets a second tier or expands the likelihood will be Tas team in Launceston/Hobart, Geelong/regional Vic, NSW Central Coast/Newcastle, Canberra/Albury etc. Do split teams work in other sports and are they easy to manage? IMO basketball is one of the few codes where this could work in oz.

Topic #42479 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze next on the list!

Reply #665231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no and nowhere.

Reply #665261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe St George and Illawara did it in rugby league and they are going ok with two home grounds. AFL have tried with the swans/south Melbourne and Brisbane/Fitzroy by relocating but still trying to keep previous supporters. Know a couple of people that were original fans and continue to support but also others that say they want nothing to do with them because they moved. And Hawthorn are trying to form links with Tasmania, North Melbourne tried the same with Canberra, but cant really see fans following them with the same passion as if they had their own team.

Reply #665264 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Crows womens team is half the side training in Darwin and the rest in Adelaide. Won the flag, so it is possible

Reply #665273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New Orleans Pelicans did it back when they were the Hornets and New Orleans got washed away years ago

Reply #665292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no. shit idea, never works.

Reply #665294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geelong and butt f%ck nowhere.
Hobart and Launceston need to be Tassie.
Newcastle and who? Canberra with all their friends. Sorry. NO.

Reply #665295 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Re: Crows women split.

I hadn't heard that.

A split city team would be easier to manage in basketball than any other team sport. The smaller roster, and the NBL’s smaller support staff, would make travel and accommodation more economical.

They’d still come up against fans’ natural tribalistic, home town nature though.

So, it could work for a cashed up owner, but I doubt there’d be a strong enough fan base for such a team to be financially viable.

Reply #665311 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I am not a great fan of it directly, however when you look at teams like Footscray FC in the AFL changing their identity to the Western Bulldogs I get it.

The South Dragons could be a sample case, so where were they directing their target membership base, I am guessing the whole of Victoria.

It has been done plenty of times before, not specifically two locations, I suggest geographical zones more often than just two cities or direct locations.

You still need an identity, plenty of more important factors will decide the success of a pro-team IMHO.

Reply #665437 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:24 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754