john
Years ago

Names of NBL Referees

Hi guys,

does anyone have a link to a list of the NBL Refs with their pictures so i know who is who?

Cheers

Topic #42507 | Report this topic

ipo  
Years ago

Blind Mullet
Icantseeathing
Nofoul buticallitanyway

Reply #666185 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Why

Reply #666187 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Good idea to make the names of the refs more widely known. More accountability that way

Reply #666193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs are in no way accountable to you nor should they be. Ridiculous justification.

Reply #666198 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

The refs will feel more accountable for their performance if their name is well-known in the NBL fan base. I reckon some refs are unprofessional and phone it in on occasion.

That's my point.

Reply #666199 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Give the refs some individual identifiers, such as numbers like in the NBA

Reply #666200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leave the refs alone, overall they do a great job, the identity is not required.

Reply #666215 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Sounds like something a ref would say

Reply #666224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ivonna foulalot

Reply #666239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ask Trevor Gleeson. he's got them all on speed dial.

Reply #666248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You mean Vickerman

Reply #666258 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The names of the refs are given on pretty much every broadcast and oft-repeated by the commentators, it's not like it's a big secret.

There are a lot of younger refs at the moment though so there aren't as many of the familiar faces as there used to be, I don't have a problem with numbers as per AFL etc.

However, I think their accountability comes from them being demoted or dropped when they slip below the required standards, which happens regularly.

It's sad how you read commentary on how there is no accountability when the person writing it has never actually checked to see what the process of accountability is, yet some people take that word as gospel.

Reply #666272 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Tampon Dikshit

Reply #666302 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

The names of refs are published in each box score as well.

john - perhaps consider how asking for photos of the refs might seem a bit creepy. You're effectively an anonymous poster on a web site where the vast majority of posts relating to refs are hate filled rants.

As posted above, if you watch enough games, together with checking box scores you'll work out who is who.

+1 on the accountability issue, paul.

Reply #666304 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Of course you can see the refs listed on box scores, but you don't exactly know who's who. You'd have to familiarise yourself with their names by watching a bunch of games.

Am I crazy to think a simple number on the back of the shirt and box score would be all you need?

And I don't profess to know the inner workings of referee due diligence, but I'd hazard a guess and say it's two-bit, considering their lack of improvement

Reply #666307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs are crap, a public forum and fan vendetta will not improve accountability. No matter how bad they do their job the undertones of wanting photographic identification is bad

Reply #666312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The protected species not wanting to be accountable. How unsurprising.
There are a lot of younger people coming through because the senior refs can't keep up. Unfortunately that doesn't make them any better.

Reply #666314 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

i attend the games. so knowing the names only doesnt help me, im keen to know who is who.

LOL at the person who said Refs should remain anonymous. funny. They are part of the game. like it or not.

Reply #666336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

john so are the score table officials who also make errors, do you want their names announced before each game?

The problem is some fans consider it their right to judge a referee despite not understanding the education and direction they're given. Also expecting a referee to be sacked or suspended for an error is like demanding a player be suspended for missing a lay up.

The expectation of the fan in regards to what "accountability" means in regards to refereeing is so out of touch with any other field, workplace or sport based standards. That's why they're so protected.

If fans, coaches and in particular the media/commentators in Australia showed respect for referees like they do generally for players, coaches, scoretable officials etc (especially given only 2 referees are full time), then we wouldn't need the media fines etc. to protect them from emotional and unfair comments.

Reply #666495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

# 495

Exactly, stop the winging in enjoy the game.

Reply #666508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"john so are the score table officials who also make errors, do you want their names announced before each game?" Yep. They generally get paid.
Amazing isn't it that the NBL clubs volunteers mostly don't get paid, yet those that do for some reason are unaccountable. The bench gets paid. Generally pretty good, yet also bad.
NBL refs should be accountable unquestionably. Next level down?

Reply #666513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Individual photos of the refs were taken before the season started a couple of years back, as a way for the league and broadcasters to put them up each game. The refs had no issue with this, but for whatever reason the photo shoots were never used.
So don't think it's an issue of the refs wanting to remain anonymous.

Reply #666557 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:37 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754