Isaac
Years ago

Cambage cited for hit to Batkovic

MELBOURNE Boomers superstar Liz Cambage's hopes of playing in the WNBL grand final decider are in severe doubt, with an off-ball hit to Suzy Batkovic in Game 2 to be scrutinised by the league’s Match Review Panel.
Cambage was colossal in the Boomers’ thrilling one-point in the second grand final game on Thursday night, scoring three clutch baskets in the fourth term to inspire her side to victory.

But a second quarter incident, where Cambage made contact with the Townsville Fire star’s torso, threatens to overshadow Melbourne’s win and put the club’s chances of taking out its second WNBL title in jeopardy.

Batkovic hit the floor immediately after contact from Cambage, with referees stopping play momentarily to allow her to catch her breath.
Video in this Fox Sports article

On the first watch, it's hard to see much but on replay you can see her direct a first dead-on into Batkovic's chest. Looks like an unnatural, dirty play. Normally you'd see players fend off with the forearm or some sort of hand-check.

Topic #42546 | Report this topic

Pickem  
Years ago

Will be suspended - $476
Won't be suspended - $1.001

Reply #667374 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Shockingly, she didn't get suspended.

Reply #667390 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

She is the ultimate victim blames every else for her actions and is the worst sporting example to young people I have seen in a while. Her parents I'm sure are embarrassed by her actions especially the language. I for one will never cheer for her again.

Reply #667415 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

No father in her life, just her foul mouth mum.

Reply #667447 | Report this post

Pickem  
Years ago

Bogut signs gonna be everywhere on Sunday night

Reply #667457 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

It's only a nipple cripple. Can’t see what all the fuss is about, Suzy could walk afterwards couldn’t she.

Reply #667547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It doesn't look as bad at Batkovic made it look.

Reply #667561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like batkovic, but she was hamming up the contact the whole game

Reply #667562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look it's a knock to the sternum. Heat of the moment, wasnt too forceful, but definitely deliberate. It’s gamesmanship, and Suzy played it for all its worth. Cambage has a history and it should have been an unsportsman like foul. Which arguably could have lost them the game. But since no technical was called in the game I think the officials share some culpability. A hefty fine and add another stain to her reputation as a dirty player then move on. But I would be very weary if I were her in the next game. I wouldn’t be surprised if she has an early exit due to foul trouble.

Reply #667563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FFS, if you think that's worth a suspension, especially for a Grand Final, Go watch netball.

Reply #667572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

get out of here...............Netball you get pinged for breathing...obstruction is called like its part of a syndrome all umpires are inflicted with lol. You throw a punch or knee someone and your team is penalized because your out of play

Reply #667575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #667588 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Nothing on the WNBL web about Liz getting fined.
I guess they are hoping no one notices.

Reply #667833 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:31 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754