John
Years ago

Any solid NBL expansion plans?

I know expansion has been talked about a lot, but are there any concrete, or near concrete, plans for expansion for the 2018/2019 season ?

Topic #42563 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope.

Reply #668081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rumour is Wellington want the next license. Would this affect the breakers at all?

Reply #668108 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Don't expand yet. I’d like another Melbourne team but doubt Larry would allow that.

Reply #668126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Expect 2 more teams over the next 1-3 years. One with AFL affiliation.

Reply #668134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hobart are trying to get a team in and have had meetings with Larry K.

Reply #668146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hobart and another Melbourne team (AFL club with involvement in other sports *cough* Collingwood) are the priority above Wellington in the coming 2 years.

Reply #668148 | Report this post

SM  
Years ago

A 10 team competition is the NBL's goal for the foreseeable future. The NBL are wresting with the idea of having an AFL affiliate team play in Melbourne and Perth.

A 2nd Melbourne/VIC team will happen within a couple years. Whilst i love AFL, I'm not convinced an AFL aligned team is a good idea. I'd like to support a 2nd Melbourne team, but if it was say, Collingwood, I wouldn't watch it, nor would anyone who wasn't a Collingwood supporter. I like the idea of a Victorian team, thus meaning they represent the state. Play at Margaret Court Arena (State Basketball Centre is too small) plus a couple home games in Bendigo or Geelong.

10th team I think should between Wellington and Perth. The crowds Perth are getting are too good to not at least consider a 2nd team. Considering Perth only has 2 AFL teams, perhaps an AFL affiliate (Fremantle Dockers) could work.

I can't see Hobart getting a team. Issue is they don't have a great basketball arena. If I'm not mistaken, it is the Derwent Entertainment Centre, which would be pretty shit for Basketball. An entire length of the court has no seating.

Reply #668192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully Hobart and South east Melbourne team - Magic or dragons

Reply #668193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They play out of the Derwent entertainment centre for seabl, suposed to be excellent. Hobart and south eastern magic for me.

Reply #668200 | Report this post

Rabbit70  
Years ago

Hobart Devils

Wellington Orcas

Reply #668203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

derwent is good for seabl, not for nbl

Reply #668204 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I don't really want another NZ team in the league. Their courts and broadcasting looks really crappy, and I just don't like the idea of them becoming dominant in our league. One NZ team is enough, thanks.

Reply #668214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The is no reason that the DEC can't have extra portable seats put back down the bench side. It's a perfect basketball venue with a new all purpose floor / court recently installed.
I would guess that without those extra seats it would still hold over 4000+.
Chargers have a 3 year program to be in the NBL. Year one is over and year 2 commenced this year.
NBL have already had talks with the Chargers President and Kestleman basically said if you get the ownership structure right you will be in.
Chargers last season did approx 11,000 kids in schools, camps, clinics etc.
Grassroots stuff which the NBL stopped doing years ago.

Reply #668220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dec is a good venue.

Reply #668222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They need to fix the broadcast side which shows a brick wall behind the court which looks awful on TV.

Reply #668229 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I agree with ME about NZ court not looking good.
I have no problem with second NZ based side.

Reply #668233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK surely is working on the NSEC court? It is shocking.

Reply #668234 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think the affiliation with an AFL team is good as these Clubs are starting to see themselves as sporting clubs, not just AFL clubs. We have seen that with Collingwood and netball.

A Collingwood NBL team. OMG They would be more hated than Perth and can you imagine their teeth and tats, and that's just on the cheer squad girls.

Reply #668236 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Are Wellington still being considered? Last I heard (which was a while ago), their owner didn't want to pay a license fee to enter the NBL, or something along those lines?

Thinking that LK would have told Wellington that they've had their chance and now no longer a priority with Melbourne and Hobart more favoured.

I'm off the NZ expansion too. Agree with above posters re their ugly courts and broadcasting. Plus they annoyingly refer to the NBL as ANBL which I get, but I hate that.

Reply #668237 | Report this post

Concerned fan  
Years ago

They simply must put a team in regional Australia preferably Victoria. How about Ballarat? I would also accept Bendigo.

Otherwise kickball will become too dominant there.

Reply #668249 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think we've covered it before, but an NBL team needs about $4M to 6M to function. There's only so much you can get through ticket sales, so sponsorship is necessary and the NBL needs a large sponsor with TV rights to get money into the league. Merch sales only go a certain way as well as the raffle girls.

I'm sure there's some break even numbers too on crowd levels. An NBL team probably needs 3,000 (min) as a paying crowd to survive. Look at how quickly things went pear shaped when Townsville crowds dropped.

The AFL pretty much has all the car companies stitched up with every AFL club getting sponsored by one club or another. Cars are the second biggest purchase after a house, so their marketing budget is pretty high. Need a family friendly FMCG that needs to spend a few $M on marketing. I read somewhere that successful FMCG companies spend 5 to 10% of their turnover on marketing, so probably need to find a company willing to invest in sponsorship of a team.

Reply #668255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Short term
Hobart Derwent or new stadium in a couple of years.
South east Melbourne team in the expanded state basketball centre. Showcourt holds 8000.

Mid term
Wellington
Fremantle

Long term
Gold Coast
Canberra

Reply #668258 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Have any of the above mentioned teams though been slated for a 2018 entry ?

Reply #668275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No. John.

Would like to see at some point down the track
Perth
Freo
Adelaide
Darwin
Cairns
Townsville
Cairns
Brisbane
Gold Coast
Canberra
Illawarra
Sydney
West Sydney
Melbourne
Geelong
South Melb
Hobart
Auckland
Wellington
Christchurch

20 teams split into two conferences.
Play other 9 teams twice,
Play each non conference team once.

Can only dream

Reply #668290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bendigo

Reply #668293 | Report this post

Concerned fan  
Years ago

Yes Bendigo is an excellent idea

Reply #668296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Freo... obviously you have no idea about Perth. Wouldn't work.

Reply #668297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great explanation... thanks for clearing that up.

Reply #668299 | Report this post

Eah  
Years ago

Hobart need to sort their home arena if they want a team. For those who don't know what it looks like, link below.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5886ec5fe6f2e1097e90f6a0/58ae456ebebafb364664f887/5983afb7e4fcb5fed2bc661d/1501803264208/001+untitled-0902_1.jpg?format=1500w

Reply #668301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Freo or second WA team .

Reply #668302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth can't sustain two teams lmao

Reply #668303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whats happening with the gold coast Asian backed team

Reply #668304 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

If we go down the AFL route with an NBL expansion team then there is only one team we could have and that is Geelong, they have their own supporter base, they are already of the mindset of us against the world, Melbourne United still get Melbourne all to themselves but can set up a rivalry and derby games can be held at the big stadiums.

I really want to see Tasmania get a team that goes to Hobart, Launceston and maybe even Devonport and perhaps even have their home jersey in the colours of the region they are playing in front of (more jersey sales that way potentially too) and hopefully Bubbles returns home and becomes the face.

I'd love the Cannons to return even as an AIS type team like the WNBL had but not sure how imports would work with that but I'm sure they would help development playing against them in training each day.

Perth/Fremantle and Wellington and Gold Coast Asian team can wait.

A few years back Big Joe said he was trying to get an NBL team in Darwin, I think if the league is prosperous then that could be an interesting place to play some games if not have a team there too

Reply #668316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Asian talk is exactly that all talk. No substance.
The DEC is perfect for NBL as it was previously.
No point putting up extra seating on the bench side when there is 4000 other seats available.

Reply #668328 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I wouldn't mind actually seeing a "B" league with the level a little under the NBL standard and about SEABL, but still entertaining enough to be worth a night out. Salaries would be pretty low but maybe the league would be populated by development players and the old crusty player retired from the NBL

Reply #668363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

B level coaches like Gleeson and Lemanis could coach in it.

Reply #668383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea Jack it's called the SEABL. WA and SA other than Mt Gambier chose not to compete.
So let's reinvent a B League because?

Reply #668417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

as a wildcats supporter who is slowly losing interest in the cats whilst my interest in nbl grows, i would love to see a second perth team to jump behind - i can actually make it my team and be there from the beginning instead of feeling disconnected from the cats

Reply #668483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

every special snowflake deserves their own new franchise

Reply #668484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"as a wildcats supporter who is slowly losing interest in the cats whilst my interest in nbl grows, i would love to see a second perth team to jump behind - i can actually make it my team and be there from the beginning instead of feeling disconnected from the cats"

out of curiosity what is it that makes you feel 'disconnected'? or is it just a handful of losses and people start losing interest? lol

Reply #668485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am a former Cats supporter but turned off by the regime in place plus bad style of ball. Although a new team would be nice I don't think it is viable in Perth.

Reply #668508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Golden State Warriors are the new NBL team

Reply #668827 | Report this post

graeme gray  
Years ago

hoprfully canberra ,hobart ,goldcoast,south melbourne,townsville

Reply #669253 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:19 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754