Isaac
Years ago

Kawhi and the Spurs

Jalen Rose has suggested that Kawhi wants out of San Antonio. Apparently frustrated with team medical staff, and with the club's inability to attract studs so they can compete with the elite teams.

There's an argument on r/NBA that Rose has flip-flopped since he said Kawhi was staying put the day before, but I'd say he's received new info since.

Can only go by Kawhi's public persona, but it seems a bit out of character for a robot. He's the stud, and they added Aldridge. Did he think they should've gone for Irving, but Pop was wary? There are dozens of teams competing for the same elite players, and the Spurs are a solid team regardless. They're fourth in the West with Leonard having missed a lot of games. They might fall off a cliff when Parker, Manu and Pau retire, but Parker frees up $15m and Pau is currently set for $16m each of the next two seasons. (Shit, applause for Pau's agent!)

Chris Paul can only join so many teams... Meanwhile, Lillard has requested a private meeting with Paul Allen over the Blazers' direction. And Jordan says he's open to trading Kemba.

So, how do you think this will play out? What should the Spurs be doing to aggressively bolster their roster if that's a concern? Is Murray enough as the replacement for Parker or do they need more?

Topic #42574 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

The Spurs were 20 points up against Golden State before Kawhi went down.

Tony Parker had played his best basketball in 2 or 3 years throughout the playoffs before he got injured too.

With Parker playing like that and Kawhi on court, all signs suggested the Spurs would've pushed Golden State in a competitive series.

And Golden State are the best NBA team in 20 years, on paper.

He's playing for the best coach ever, he's already won a championship which is more than guys like Westbrook, Paul or Harden have done.

So what exactly is Kawhi talking about (if true?)?

Reply #668451 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Spurs in the news with controversy??? Well, this feels different.

Is it possible he leaves? Sure, I mean Duncan was very close to leaving to Orlando back in the day and Pop was close to being fired. Both were very close to happening, imagine if they did.

Jalen [I can't believe it] makes a good point: the Spurs look like the guy in overalls. Lots of players want to win their own way, join a super team and crush through everyone. Spurs aren't like that, they work hard and play like a team with high standards - it's no Hollywood or street ball.

With that said, they sorted out their Aldridge issue, I think they'll sort out Kawhi.

Spurs are 30-18 sitting top 4 in the west and will be in the playoffs for the gazillionth year in a row even with the battle of injuries between Kawhi and Parker.

Reply #668452 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Spurs are 30-18 and 4th in the West (3rd until a day or two ago) and that's with Kawhi and Parker having missed most of the season and Rudy Gay missing the last 15 games.

I don't think anything will come of this rumour, though. Given the Spurs history you'd have to feel confident this will blow over.

Reply #668453 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Pop already told Aldridge they wouldn't trade him unless they received a KD-caliber player in return. Imagine what they would hypothetically be after for Kawhi considering he's under contract for 2.5 more seasons.

Not gonna happen unless Kawhi forces the Spurs' hand, which doesn't sound like Kawhi at all.

I expect that once the injury frustrations are behind him this will all blow over. Perhaps the medical and coaching staff need to be a little more empathetic in the meantime.

Reply #668458 | Report this post

BVL  
Years ago

They should put Kawhi on Ice for most of this year as they aint going to compete with Houston or GSW.

But they do need a big fish. I think Lillards the one, as much as I love Parker and Manu are they taking us forward or there for sentimental value.

Im all for them playing out this year but when GSW start to slide in the next 1-2 years the Spurs need to be ready with some young studs.

Reply #668505 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

It's the spurs. They don’t need to chase studs. They always manage to develop talent themselves that others overlook, and case in point is Leonard. He wouldn’t be putting anything to anyone that will talk to media about what’s happening there I imagine. So this seems completely rumour based from people who don’t really know for sure.

They do need somebody who can take the reigns at PG however. Murray could be the answer but we won’t know just yet.

Expect some small moves made at end of season to bring in some younger talent. Maybe Pau will take a smaller contract change up to stay and compete?

Reply #668516 | Report this post

BVL  
Years ago

Yes it's nice to have a familiar group each year with the Spurs but are they a genuine chance to win it all?

You play pro sports to win championships not to have feel good moments with a bunch of veterans.

As a Spus fan I would love to see a change up, add Lillard, even if you had to give up Murray and a Vet and they could be a chance to go further.

I think Lillard would revel in the organsiation as I feel he has a deep desire to win.

Reply #668524 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I think many were saying that every year post 2005. But 5 championships in 20 years at a rate of one every 4 years talks some real substance to the process.

Reply #668526 | Report this post

BVL  
Years ago

Yes I agree but they also had the best power forward of all time.

The system only works if you have the players to deliver on it.

I just can't see the Spurs winning the western conference in the next 5 years unless they make personal changes.

Reply #668532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You think that kawhi Leonard and the spurs would let this get out in public? The media is having you all on. This is the same team that has only ever had one player request a trade and the only way we the public found out was through Popovich casually dropping it in an interview after the fact when it had been resolved.

Reply #668550 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Kawhi just wants to play for the team who drafted him.

Reply #668632 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Spurs will go close to winning with Aldridge & Kwahi..perhaps not beating GSW but with injuries etc you never know so better to be the Spurs and fighting for a top 3 finish in the West than being on a team thats gonna be the 8th seed or out of theplayoffs with a rotation of bad coachs and poor team play!

I think Kwahi stays and the spurs find a way to get another piece to get them back on top

Reply #668636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reality, the spurs were up 20+ in game 1 of conference finals last year in Oakland before Zaza Pachulia made his biggest contribution of the year and gave Leonard no landing room on a jumper. Don't try to make out like they can't go with the Warriors with a fit team.

BVL, theres just no way that Dame Dolla will put his ego aside to play for the spurs and their system. Period

Reply #668972 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:19 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754