Isaac
Years ago

BA and NBL combine to launch 3x3 Hustle

Basketball Australia and the National Basketball League (NBL) have joined forces to bring 3x3 basketball to all Australians with the unveiling of the 3x3 Hustle.

With 3x3 a major player on the international sporting landscape and an Olympic sport for the first time in Tokyo in 2020, the 3x3 Hustle will provide a pathway for aspiring players to go from the suburbs of Australia to competing on the world stage.

The 2008 AFL Brownlow Medalist Adam Cooney and Opals player and Melbourne Boomers Captain Jenna O'Hea were among those who joined representatives from Basketball Australia and the NBL at today’s announcement.

Basketball Australia Chair Ned Coten said the 3x3 Hustle would be the first professionally operated 3x3 product in Australia.
The 3x3 Hustle will have a number of entry levels from street level to the professional level. The Pro Hustle will consist of 16 men’s and women’s teams and will be played in April/May this year.

It will consist of eight professional teams and eight teams from the Big Hustle, a state based 3x3 championship to be played in the lead-up to the Pro Hustle.

There will also be a Street Hustle comprising of suburban teams and Urban Hustle made up of regional teams.

The 3x3 Hustle will be endorsed by FIBA with all events giving participants FIBA 3x3 World ranking points. Each team consists of three players and one substitute and is played on a half-court, with one basket. The game is a single period of 10 minutes with sudden death at 21 points.
More info

Topic #42580 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I read that, and it actually confuses me as to why the NBL would sink money into this area whilst trying to build its own brand still. There is already a company travelling the country called CLB that do 3 on 3 professionally and are a Fiba certified competition. The structure is already there and it is a lot less work for the NBL and BA to have to do! Makes no sense.

Reply #668591 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Because Larry Kastelman wants to own basketball in Australia. Simple as that.

Reply #668622 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

CLB came in making themselves look a bit silly by saying they were going to start up a league in competition with the NBL. Then they defaulted to it being a 3x3 league after LK smacked them about. LK will just kill them off commercially as he has BA in his pocket, meaning he then has the players as well.

Reply #668624 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

CLB talked big and produced little of note IMO.

I think this is a good idea by LK and the NBL. It might seem to be diverting attention and resources away from the main direction [the league itself] but with 3x3 in the Olympics and "urban/streetball" aspect which can draw in the younger market who love playing bball with their mates but don't often or at all go to the stadium to watch the NBL, this might just create that connection and produce some marketing reach.

One of the brilliant ideas is the way it levels up from effectively playing with your mates to Pros, with a level or two in the middle. If it was just the urban/street, then it's just trying to draw kids to play in the park; if it was just pros then it's just CLB where and people probably would have better things to do. But together where you see the pros and get revved up to play yourself with the potential to level up to the "Big 3x3"? There's some real potential in there. Especially with Basketball Australia, possible travel and Olympics.

I also wouldn't put it past them finding sponsors for this tournament and monetising it. I don't think NBL and WNBL stars would be able to do it if the plan is to travel the globe and play Olympics, but if it's timed in the off-season there's a possibility those players could use it to get some extra $$$.

Reply #668625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kestelman sure can hold a grudge. He's wanted to bury Matt Hollard ever since Matt announced the CLB winter league the day after Larry announced he was buying the NBL. Guess he's done that good and proper now.

Reply #668655 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

So will each NBL team be entering a team into the 3x3 Hustle? is that how i'm reading it?

Reply #668669 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Where did you get that from?

Reply #668685 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

"It will consist of eight professional teams and eight teams from the Big Hustle, a state based 3x3 championship to be played in the lead-up to the Pro Hustle."

will the nbl teams be the pro teams as mentioned above? otherwise, why would they be involved?

Reply #668690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

one at Harts mill the other day poorly organised and advertised. Boti on his blog said it was poor timing with BSA being without a CEO etc. but unless I had read Boti's blog I wouldn't have heard about that comp at all.

Reply #668730 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

What I don't get is them talking about this league changing the way 3 x 3 is played in Australia. How? Dribbling is optional? Dunks are worth double?

Reply #668740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I read that, and it actually confuses me as to why the NBL would sink money into this area whilst trying to build its own brand still. There is already a company travelling the country called CLB that do 3 on 3 professionally and are a Fiba certified competition. The structure is already there and it is a lot less work for the NBL and BA to have to do! Makes no sense."

Boti?

NBL has its own brand stable and building nicely now. This is the perfect timing for Kestelman to be getting creative again. Expansion doesn't have to only mean more NBL teams.

Reply #668742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is the NBL brand stable without any television revenue? Until that changes, the sport is still on very tenuous ground. If Justin Kestelman decides he doesn't like basketball anymore, Larry and his millions go bye bye in a hurry. Can’t say it’s a stable brand when ultimately it’s reliant on the whims of two people.

Reply #668808 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I have no idea what the finances are like, but it's stable in the sense that the structure is set up, sponsors are on board, and it feels in a good position to be looking at expansion options now.

Reply #668811 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Having said that, 3x3 is a very different beast. I'm not convinced it has any TV appeal or even a great deal of spectator appeal. I've watched quite a lot and I dunno ...
I'm interested to see what angle they go with to market it and who their target demo is.

Reply #668812 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/why-cant-we-get-along-ii/

Reply #668819 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Having said that, 3x3 is a very different beast. I'm not convinced it has any TV appeal or even a great deal of spectator appeal.
This. I've watched bits and pieces, but it just doesn't interest me. Games are only a few minutes long, too.

Reply #668823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To be clear - 3 on 3 has ZERO spectator appeal. It is not professional basketball, and any pursuit at setting up a 3 on 3 'structure' should be clear that it's only there to chase down a Gold Medal. That's fine, just don't pretend there is ANY commercial viability in 3 on 3 basketball.

No one who loves basketball and knows the game would ever pay to go see 3 on 3. We do not need 3 on 3 TV taking away from time that should go to the NBL, and corrupting what possible fans think passes for basketball.

Reply #668894 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:58 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754