Anonymous
Years ago

Is this Tai Wesley's best season yet?

Is this the best season Tai Wesley has had in a long time? Not only statistics, but overall game impact. What is his money value to a team as a local?

Topic #42581 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Playing well as he knows he will be classed as an import next season.

Reply #668597 | Report this post

Eah  
Years ago

Fantastic value as a local, run of the mill value as an import.

Regardless of his nationality, he was welcomed to the NBL as a local and moved his family over. To tell him now he must play as an import is disgraceful.

Reply #668605 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Grown man moves. He has a family to feed. 17 kids. At least he's playing like it

Reply #668607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would he be told he will be reclassified as an import? Disgraceful is a bit harsh, if he indeed isnt an Australian passport holder, and the import rules are being tightened.

Reply #668611 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Wesley actually only has one son, but I've heard that the little guy takes really long showers, never turns the lights off when he leaves a room, and has a tapeworm.

Reply #668612 | Report this post

Wesley isn't an Aussie or a Kiwi. He shouldn’t have ever been allowed to play in the NBL as a local. He has a Guam passport and was signed by the Breakers after Basketball Australia said that they wanted more reach into the Oceania region.

There are a couple of other players this rule effects but the NBL is looking the other way on those.

Reply #668618 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Who are the others?

Reply #668620 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Remember Ernest Ross? Another grown man

Reply #668623 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Never should of allowed it to occur in the first place but as long as the rule is clear and made known early enough i'm sure Tai will find another gig.

Can't have a rule for a few and not everyone just because they are already in the league and they are a nice person.

Reply #668633 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

If Tai was an import he certainly is better than a large number of other imports who have graced our league this year!

Cooke Jr, Tyler, Smooch, Evens, Egwu, Johnson.

Hopefully they make the Indian guys imports to thou as that would seem unfair as those blokes are taking the spots of young aussies who should be on the rosters.

Reply #668634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wesley's daughter was born in melbourne

Reply #668635 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Is this reclassification thing taking the piss or have I just not paid attention to something legit?

Reply #668637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He came into the league under the Oceania rule but would normally be classed as an import. That rule no longer exists (hasn't for this whole season) but as Wesley was signed under that rule, he is allowed to stay under that rule for this contract...which ends this season.

People are now saying he should be allowed to stay as a local forever because he moved his family here/he's a nice guy.

Reply #668643 | Report this post

ferdterguson  
Years ago

He is married with a kid here in Australia (Australian wife I think). Has been around a while now. I don't think he'd be too far off becoming an Australian.

*He should probably hang around and play SEABL instead of taking off to the NZNBL every year.

*I would love to see him play in the SEABL. I think he'd dominate.

Reply #668645 | Report this post

HomicideRulz  
Years ago

100%. I'm telling you right now, Tai Wesley is a grown man. He's married with a wife and 5 children to feed.

He's balling out. The more grown man in existence.

Grown Man Tai Wesley. 100%

Reply #668647 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Tai would get at least one more multi-year contract as an import, IMO. Known quality, and having a hell of a season.

Reply #668648 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Better than any Cairns import.
Better than Cooke Jr.

Reply #668651 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Haven't seen his games, but agree he'd get a gig as an import given his proven abilities. A few teams could make use of him.

Reply #668652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His wife is not Australian, he will get another gig as an import. You cant have one rule for some and not others. I'd even take him ahead of Ellis from the Kings. The rumour I heard is he's looking for a good euro gig.

Reply #668660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't be mad if Perth spent an import spot on him next season.

Reply #668671 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Since when is the Oceania rule not a rule anymore? Or did we just swap it for the Asia rule?

I agree that he'd get a job as an import for sure, and based on his play this season especially, would have preferred him over Ellis at the Kings for sure...

Reply #668672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oceania rule was swapped for the Asian rule, that's why we play through Asia now.

Reply #668682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"People are now saying he should be allowed to stay as a local forever because he moved his family here/he's a nice guy."

No, because he is grandfathered into the old rule. If he left to play overseas then came back and tried to re-claim the previous rights, then different story. But he has been staple in the NBL for some time now.

Reply #668687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being grand-fathered in to his existing contract is fine, but not for the rest of his career.

Reply #668698 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

He moved his family here and is a nice bloke isn't an argument as plenty of other import have come out with their families and they all seemed like nice people!

Once this contract is done he'll be an import!

The Asian rule is terrible and doesn't help our league or Aussie players trying to get jobs when we pick these Asian player who aren;t up to it

Reply #668705 | Report this post

BVL  
Years ago

Melbounre could be torn here.

He has reveled in Vickermans system this year, although he's been in foul trouble the last two games.

United would have to give up there import 3 man spot and hope to sign an Aussie.

And no Moller isn't the answer.

You cant drop Prather or Felix and expect to have the same production.

A Mitch Creek type would be perfect but there ain't many of them around.

Reply #668706 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I think it'd be fair if the rule was grandfathered for existing players.

I'm not suggesting it's completely unreasonable, though.

Moller can start at 3 and Utd can use an import spot on him. He's earnt it. And United can put excess $ into getting more quality Aussies.

Reply #668710 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

WookieE - yes Asia rule replaced Oceania rule

However, from what I've read, the Asia rule is restricted to selected countries. The countries concerned are decided based on potential tv audience. That was the description provided in an article about Wesley's situation, a couple of months ago. Sorry, don't have a reference and can't recall where it was published.

So Singh (India) was covered by the Asia rule but Wesley (Guam) was not. Wesley and Melbourne were given a year's grace to see out the second year of his pre-existing contract.

Reply #668716 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Ah ok, thanks... Well, if they were made aware of it and the rules have changed, not much they can do... Obviously no problem with him seeing his contract out under those circumstances, but things have changed... It's just a bonus that United are the ones being disadvantaged this time...

How about the Kings swap Singh for him? Sounds fair... Do it like the NRL and take them now to see out the season...

Reply #668743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

use an import spot on him. He's earnt it. And United can put excess $ into getting more quality Aussies.

Wesley has earned it but will look to Europe so it might mean no big deal in the end. As an import nearly all NBL sides would take him.
Moller has earned the 3 man starting spot also, has been very solid.

Reply #668748 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There's no Asia rule either, just a list of countries the NBL thinks could benefit the league with media attention. India's on the list, Guam isn't.

Reply #668755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you dont need to worry about united losing there 3 man.

Boone is out... Bogut signs as the 5

Import PG - Import SF - Import 4

E.g

Ware/Dan Dillon/Adnam
Goulding/Hooley
Prather/Moller
Wesley/Local 4
Bogut/Majok or local college guy e.g landale.

Reply #668821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now you're talking. Make it happen Larry!

Reply #668828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wesley is naturalising and will be allowed to play as a local next year.

Reply #668836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wesley will fail the character check on his Australian citizenship by naturalization application as all Australian post players must be willing and skilled passers. Wesley is neither.

Reply #668887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, do you even watch games bro? Wesley not a good post passer!? That's actually been the one thing he’s done exceptionally well this season. Now crawl back into your box until you watch some more games.

Reply #668918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tai, is that you? Or one of his 19 kids? I've watched all the games. Have you seen any? Wesley has a loser mentality. He actually said earlier this season when Melb played OKC that he models his game on Carmelo. Interesting.

Tai has decent assist numbers this season because United have run the offense through him at times, and he does eventually make the glaringly obvious pass at times. He still looks like he would rather get in 10 dribbles and crawl to a left shoulder jump hook than make smart, winning basketball plays though. His passing has gotten better this season, but he is still not a winning player.

This is of course all irrelevant as he can't stay on the guard because he can't guard anyone.

Reply #669030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

L#030

You lost your white stick in the stadium and you've been deaf for years so I'll leave your opinion with you.

Reply #669036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good decision - don't engage with the substance of what I've said as you know it to be correct and cannot debate it. Thanks for coming.

Reply #669039 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I've been as critical of Tai in the past as anyone, but hard to say he's not playing winning basketball so far this year given he's often been the best player on the #1 team in the competition. His passing has been better, sure, but it's his defense that was his biggest issue in the past. He's not a lockdown defender now or anything, but he isn't glaringly bad like he was in past seasons.

Reply #669042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#030 you're take in the game is in LaLa Land. Please, go take your Valium and sleep some.

Reply #669107 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:48 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754