Anonymous
Years ago

Bendigo should get the next NBL team

Hear me out.

All this talk about NBL expansions I think that Bendigo should have a shot as a representative of regional Victoria. I'll pluck out some key reasons to support.

- Bendigo Stadium has a 10 court precinct with a brand new show court that seats 4000 without added seating
- Bendigo stadium is the largest provider of grassroots basketball in the state
- the city already hosts the popular and successful WNBL team spirit and the SEABL team the braves. Both teams have had great successes and support.
- Basketball in Bendigo has seen rises every year at a grass roots level
- Bendigo is a growth corridor with over 115,000 population it is the biggest inland city in Australia

I think Bendigo as a regional representative of Shepparton, Maryborough, Kyneton, Echuca, Castlemaine etc. could make it even more attractive.

Thoughts?

Topic #42587 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

No point having a population of 115000 as a selling point when only 4000 can attend. There would be minimal opportunity for commercial growth.

NO.

Reply #668736 | Report this post

GM  
Years ago

yeah and Ben Harvey can Coach.

Reply #668741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not too dissimilar to Cairns populations, I like the idea.

Reply #668747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bendigo can barely support a WNBL team with about 7 people in attendance each home game. Are we sure the NBL will survive there? Townsville kills it with their WNBL team (big crowds) but they couldn't keep an NBL team afloat.

Reply #668749 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Bendigo is a good town, in fact I'm here now!

Any team must be strong off court.
Bendigo is slightly larger than Cairns so the draw for spectators should be there. As far as viability is concerned they would need to do their sums. The natural sponsors are Bendigo Bank and La Trobe Uni whose focus is on rural health.

The big question is how would it fit into the leagues plan?

Reply #668752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Their WNBL team is barely surviving.

Jack what are you doing in Bendigo?

Reply #668761 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Visiting family and as we speak having a coffee in the Coffee Club

Reply #668767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not at their house?

Reply #668768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bendigo isn't the largest inland city in Australia.
Both Canberra and Toowoomba are both bigger.
Besides that, I don’t think Bendigo’s size is big enough to support an NBL side from a sponsorship point of view.
Plenty of bigger centres that are definitely in front of them purely based on population:
Ie Hobart, Canberra, Newcastle, Geelong, Gold Coast

Reply #668773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Their WNBL team has had ups and downs but the SEABL team has always been a strong team with good backing. The braves always seem to get the highest quality imports and put together a competitive team.

Bendigo Bank is pretty loyal to both with support throughout the decades.

Reply #668774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The new facilities at Bendigo Stadium are nice. $16.5 million on top of what was already a basketball mecca. If you get a chance check it out

Reply #668777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, nah.
Harvey can coach but as already mentioned the WNBL team isn't that great.
Their mens seabl team draws not many, despite the dollars being spent and their recent success's has done nothing to draw any more people. It will be interesting to see how long the 4000 seat stadium is used for in a seabl season. The novelty will soon wear off I expect and the crowd numbers will go back to normal.
I don't think regional teams are the answer at all.
Why not Ballarat? Penrith? West Sydney? Kalgoorlie?
Hobart are already in discussion and should be the next team in. The NBL are planning games there next season already.

Reply #668778 | Report this post

Slopernator  
Years ago

Cairns population just under 140k. Would have been close to current Bendigo population when they entered the league. There are some similarities, strong well established SEABL/QBL presence, regional centre with natural sponsors. That being said, we're in different times, I would think Bendigo would be pretty far down the totem pole as far as possible entrance.

Reply #668780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben Harvey is a money chasing sellout

Reply #668785 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Point 1 - 4000 doesn't cut it - the amount spent on salaries for the talent level the NBL wants will require more than 4000 particularly in the medium term future.

Point 2 - That’s a good point, if it can translate commercially

Point 3 - That’s competition for basketball consumption/consumer dollar - probably to the detriment of the preexisting seabl and the wnbl team. Not ideal for a minor market.

Point 4 - That seems to be connected to point 2

Point 5 - It’s a minor market for a league that is aiming for big sponsors and coverage. I’m not sure many if any minor markets will be capable of coping with NBL growth at this rate - we’ve already got Cairns and Illawarra.

I think it’s more attractive sponsor coverage and fan reach wise to go for a second Melbourne team, a second NZ side and perhaps if Perth is super strong, a second Perth team (although I still need to be convinced).

Reply #668791 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

No. I'm against anymore regional teams entering the league for now. A second Melbourne team should be the first priority. Not sold on Hobart or Wellington.

Reply #668797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah right , would love to seem my team play Bendigo ... Not

Reply #668801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring back the tigers!!!

Reply #668805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Tigers at local level have nothing SFA.
No home, no money and other than lots if kids playing for them, nothing.
Their Seabl entry is poor.
Gaze gone. Proving how bad he was.

Reply #668814 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

It's hard to think of viable expansion plans, because we just don't have enough decent sized cities.

Reply #668830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never a good star5 when yo7 have to start your sales pitch with 'hear me out' it’s a massive no from me. Large cities with large potential for growth only or leave the league as is.

Reply #668832 | Report this post

Concerned fan  
Years ago

The bloke who started this thread must have read my mind.

Bendigo is a great team with friendly people.

It would also strike a blow against kickball which is bloody dominant.

Reply #668852 | Report this post

Concerned fan  
Years ago

Sorry fellas I meant it is a great town

Reply #668853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If only the NBL had a second tier league like this:
1 WA team
1 SA team
1 Melb based team
1 Regional Vic team
Geelong
Sydney
Gold Coast
Townsville
Newcastle
Tasmanian team

10 teams, 18 games . Top 4 playoff
Play from June to late August
2 imports per team.

Reply #668873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA left the seabl. Brisbane too. NSW as well. Aint gonna happen.

Reply #668882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What sort of fantasy discussion is this. Everyone knows Wagga Wagga is Australia's biggest inland town (measured by BMI).

Reply #668890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless they've moved the border last time I looked mt gambier was in SA.

Reply #668891 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

A 2nd division comp could potentially work in the East. But you already have the SEABL

Reply #668924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I meant to say Adel left the seabl. Apologies

Reply #668934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bendigo cannot sustain an NBL side. Melbourne has almost 5 million people, 100% the next Victorian team will be Melbourne based.

That said I think the inevitable 2nd Melbourne team should be in the ilk of the Victorian Titans or South Dragons and therefore appeal to the entire state of VIC. Play a couple home games Bendigo, have clinics in country VIC etc.

Reply #669088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harvey assisting with the Hawks as an Asst. I notice.

Reply #669151 | Report this post

NannasAlwaysRight  
Years ago

Geelong didn't work and that was a town at the time of 245,000, now some 335,000.

In saying that, Cairns and Illawarra work well but big business needs to support a NBL franchise and unemployment as well as business haven't got the money in central Victoria. The Braves are as far as they can go

Reply #669298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"In saying that, Cairns and Illawarra work well but big business needs to support a NBL franchise"
This exactly the opposite of what Kestleman wants for new franchises.
He wants small ownerships groups without having to rely on big business to see clubs through.
Grassroots basketball is equally important and all new franchises will have to address that issue as well.

Reply #669304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, you are on the money, so to speak. Geelong didn't work, yeah like South East Melbourne, Coburg, South Dragons and the list goes on didn't work.

How many of those franchises had a 4,000 seat show court to use like Bendigo have just built? In those days it was very different, so Nannaisalwayswrong!

Reply #669320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #731311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #731313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hobart is already in.

Reply #731491 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:41 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754