Wayne
Years ago

Mitch Creek = Sam Mackinnon

Watching today's game

Saw slamming Sam and wondered is Mitch a second coming of Sam?

Both considered NBA prospects

Similar ish games

Who would u take in their prime (assuming Mitch is in his prime)

Athleticism?

Outside shooting?

Hustle?

IQ?

Finishing around the rim?

IMO both would have played NBA if they had better outside shots

I guess Mitch still has a chance.....

Topic #42595 | Report this topic

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

McKinnon's peak was kind of late. I think he was about 30-31 when he was NBL MVP.

I would take peak McKinnon over Creek at this stage, but I consider Creek an exciting talent who will probably get better over the next 2-3 years.

Reply #669013 | Report this post

Ricky Rubio  
Years ago

Don't make me fucking laugh.

Mitch Creek couldn't tie Smack's shoelaces

The only reason there's a comparison is because the talent is so watered down in the NBL it's not even funny.

Reply #669018 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

MacKinnon comfortably.

Reply #669022 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Creek has always been the second coming of Sam Mackinnon, their performances for the junior national team were almost identical.

The big difference was that Creek stepped into a tougher, older league when he was young than Mackinnon did in 1995, when there were a lot more teams and a lot more young players running around.

So it's taken Creek a little longer to get to this point of being a dominant force, but he is an absolute star now.

Reply #669028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Buford won the one on one tonight with Creek, in saying that I believe over season so far Creek is mvp.
I believe Sam was better at his peek but Creek got lots years left.

Reply #669031 | Report this post

BVL  
Years ago

Always felt McKinnon didn't reach his full potential because he never made NBA.

I know it was a different time, as OS players are more excepted now but Mc Kinnon never developed a reliable jump shot, something Creek is closer to doing.

I think Mc Kinnon was a better talent but Creek looks like he wants to make the jump to the next level.

Not sure if Mc Kinnon ever did?

Reply #669034 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

McKinnon was around for so long before the hype was eveb justified. I remember him getting talked up year after year and not thinking much of him til the end few years.

Reply #669040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not sure Creek even has an IQ.

Reply #669081 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

I always thought Mackinnon was so overrated. Not that being overrated means that he wasn't good. He struggled with so many injuries i believe he didnt reach his full potential

Reply #669104 | Report this post

Ceres 43  
Years ago

Kind of feel bad for Glenn Saville in this discussion. Same generation as Sam, just as good IIRCC - but for the hype machine, had the same tools, and was a greater competitor (for better or worse). Always enjoyed watching him more than Sam, personally.

Reply #669118 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Good point. He did the job without the hype McKinnon had the hype and hardly delivered.

Reply #669127 | Report this post

Snooch  
Years ago

Saville > Mackinnon

Reply #669128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope. Unquestionably nope.

Reply #669150 | Report this post

NannasAlwaysRight  
Years ago

McKinnon shits all over Creek.
What shit

Reply #669297 | Report this post

Sitiveni  
Years ago

Best NBL dunk ever was Sam's tomahawk on Ben Melmith or Pepper in Newcastle from memory. Still got it on tape.

Reply #669456 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mackinnon peaked in 2007 with MVP, DPOTY, Championship, GF MVP and All-NBL First Team. He was 31 years of age.

Mitch Creek is 25 years of age and entering the All-NBL team picture. Only has imports arguably ahead of him at his position, IMO (Conger, Tokoto, Buford). He's having a greater impact than the other local SFs - Newley, Blanchfield, etc.

Career shooting percentages:
Mackinnon: 50/35/56
Creek: 53/34/69

Mackinnon was 47% from three in his MVP season though. Averaged 19/9/4, playing 36.6 MPG.

Reply #669485 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Creeks got Childress, Moore and Deng playing minutes at small forward too.

Reply #669498 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, Mackinnon averaged 30+ MPG over his career. Creek is only just at 20 MPG.

Reply #669499 | Report this post

ferdterguson  
Years ago

Did Mackinnon ever play 40 minute games?

Reply #669502 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Don't think so. MPG and game length worth considering for any PPG and RPG comparison though Creek has a bit of work to match Mackinnon's APG regardless.

Reply #669509 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:34 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754