Years ago

Are there any aboriginals in the NBL?

I was trying to figure it out today couldnt think of any so thought I'd ask the fine people at hoops.
Who are some current NBL aboriginal players?

Topic #42596 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tod Blanchfield I beleive.

Reply #669038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai

Reply #669048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller and Adnam

Reply #669049 | Report this post

Years ago

Forgot Jawai still played tbh.

Reply #669051 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think he has too.

Reply #669056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

greg hire

Reply #669062 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I don't believe Jawai is Aboriginal.

Reply #669075 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He's not but most people don't know to differentiate between Indigenous and Aboriginal, he's Torres Strait Islander.

Reply #669077 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

People not knowing he's not Aboriginal doesn't make him Aboriginal.

Reply #669083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Tamuri Wigness an aboriginal ?

Reply #669085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Tamuri in the NBL? And no.

Reply #669087 | Report this post

Years ago

So if we're talkimg straight down the middle aboriginal who we got?

Reply #669101 | Report this post

Years ago

Googling hasn't gotten me any further in this research. Just list Jawai and Patty Mills.

Reply #669102 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Jawai isn't Aboriginal and Mills isn't in the NBL, so I'm not sure what list you're looking at.

Reply #669106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Other than Nate Jawai, there are definitely no players running around who look Indigenous. I guess there could always be a couple white players that claim heritage.

Reply #669108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Other than Nate Jawai, there are definitely no players running around who look Indigenous. I guess there could always be a couple white players that claim heritage."

If you've got it in you then you’re Indigenous. You obviously don’t know how Indigenous and native systems work.

This is a very typical statement made by non-indigenous (and most usually white people) who try to break us down in to percentages and castes to decide if we’re white enough to be “white”.

Reply #669110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you've got it in you then you're Indigenous. You obviously don’t know how Indigenous and native systems work.

This is a very typical statement made by non-indigenous (and most usually white people) who try to break us down in to percentages and castes to decide if we’re white enough to be "white".

LO,whoa buddy, unless you have a crystal ball shoved up your tailend,then unless its obvious to the eye nobody knows do they

thought this was a question beinging asked about aboriginal players in the NBL,perhaps you should have asked 'how many indigenous'players are currently in the NBL'
frankly it should not matter ,I see a player not the colour of their skin when I watch

Reply #669112 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

I think the cedar brothers were but not in nbl

Deba George another one I think

Reply #669116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure its just blanchfield. Jawai torres.

Deba george didnt play nbl but is aboriginal.

There is an aboriginal team that plays the nz Maori team every year but dont think they had anyone from the nbl playing.

Reply #669117 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Deba George plagued for cairns

Reply #669120 | Report this post

Bigwal  
Years ago

Deba was born in the Torres Strait. Played for the Taipans in 2011/12 I think.

Reply #669121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From a genealogical perspective you can't be any less than 1/8th of anything (ie your great grandparents)

Reply #669125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Change it to "Indigenous" and ask again...

Reply #669138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris Patton according to a Cairns Post article recently.

Reply #669139 | Report this post

Tribe  
Years ago

Chris Pattons bro plays AFL for GWS right? Almost certain they aren't Aboriginal

Reply #669146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AJ Ogilvey and Casper Ware

Reply #669147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KR to expert again. The Mattic of Hoops.

Reply #669148 | Report this post

Years ago

Was looking at a list of aboriginal sports people Kobe. Its the only list I could find.

So we're saying there is none? Whats up with that?

Reply #669159 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Does anything have to be up with it? If Aboriginal people were represented in the NBL at the same rate as in the entire population, there would be 1.9 Aboriginal players in the NBL.

Reply #669161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yet there is almost always zero, so something is up

Reply #669163 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There were at least two for a period of a few years not all that long ago - there were three for some of the 2012 season - and even expecting two requires Aboriginals to go into basketball at the same rate as others.

Reply #669165 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

8 teams with 8 local players per team. 64 spots. Indigenous population estimated to be about 3% of the broader Australian population, so 1-2 players within a set of around 64. Jawai is one current representative.

People have mentioned other recent players: George, Cedars, Demos, Mills, etc.

Reply #669166 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Demos as well? In that case there were four in the league simultaneously in 2012 with him, Mills, and the Cedar brothers.

Reply #669170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't tell KR Jawai is aboriginal Isaac.
KR said "Jawai isn't Aboriginal"
Indigenous sums it up.

Reply #669197 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I assume you're the same anon who in the Cal Bruton thread is whining about me thinking I know more than you despite not actually rebutting any of my arguments?

At least here you're making an argument, even if it's completely wrong.

Reply #669203 | Report this post

Years ago

Is it just they prefer AFL?

Reply #669207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Craig Moller

Reply #669225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If we are going "Indigenous", don't forget Kerry Williams from the Taipans.

Reply #669228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills is from the Torres Strait KR.So wrong again. Still.

Reply #669231 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I can't be "wrong again still" because one requires me being wrong about a different thing, and the other requires me being wrong about the same thing.

And neither applies because I wasn't wrong the first time.

But you get one Internet Point for the Mills thing, so good for you.

Reply #669247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can confirm koberulz is of 100% wanker descent.

Reply #669287 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That speaks to a rather large misunderstanding of biology.

Reply #669288 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

Basketball, at least along the eastern side of the continent isn't very popular among Aboriginal communities, except among Koori people in Victoria. I have no idea about WA.

Many play in our own community tournaments, choosing not to play in other leagues. Mainstream basketball isn't seen as being inclusive of Aboriginal people and if you look back over threads on ozhoops and elsewhere, you'll find racist and ignorant comments about us. That sort of environment is why Patty Mills father created an Indigenous club, the Shadows. It's also why our best young players either end up playing rugby league or AFL, or just playing with their families in knock out tournaments.

Reply #669289 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

Btw, as far as identity goes, the way we look at it - you're either Aboriginal or you're not, regardless of colour. It's still a coffee, even if it has milk in it.

Skin tone usually means nothing. We all know who is or isn't. To us its usually obvious.

Reply #669290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Mainstream basketball isn't seen as being inclusive of Aboriginal people and if you look back over threads on ozhoops and elsewhere, you'll find racist and ignorant comments about us."

To be fair Ozhoops tends to sh_t on anyone regardless of race. Some very toxic people were on that site which eventually led to its downfall.

Reply #669294 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I was just about to lock the thread to finish the pedantic arguing, but glad I didn't. Thanks Jay.

Reply #669295 | Report this post

dc  
Years ago

Tim Duggan 1996 Gold Coast Rollers.
Great kid .

Reply #669319 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Some experts here are truely pathetic. Patrick has Torres straight heritage on his dad's side , and aboriginal on his mum's. Only been reported in the local, national and international press for about 15 years.

Reply #669553 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Spot Quiz. First player (s) of indigenous heritage to have played for a winning team in a GF in Aust Nat leagues nbl, wnbl , or/and USA WNBA, include year and team for bonus point.

Reply #669556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah don't tell Kobewanker.
I don't know. Morseau?

Reply #669567 | Report this post

Years ago

Thanks Isaac for not locking the thread that insight from Jay was the kind of response I was hoping to find once you filter through the crap you find some good posts.

Reply #669653 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"It's still a coffee, even if it has milk in it."

Yep, good point, well done Jay, that's pretty much quote of the year.

As far as heritage is concerned it's interesting that a lot of DNA tests don't actually measure Australian Aborigine. We should all be proud of our heritage as it's generally unlikely that you are 100% of something. I did mine recently. 50% British & Irish, 35% Western European, 10% Scandinavian and 5% Eastern European. Could be worse.....

Reply #669658 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah I would guess Danny Morseu as well. St Kilda Saints - 1979 NBL Champs.

Reply #669661 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Actually I think my guess is wrong. Someone else have a crack.

Reply #669662 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Pretty sure you were just off by a year - Morseu was on the Saints in 1980.

Reply #669664 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

He was on the Saints in 79 as well, was one of their leading scorers, and they won the title that, but I don't think he actually played in the GF

Reply #669665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wrong again Kobe.
"Among the players on the 1979 and 1980 championship teams were Larry Sengstock, Robbie Cadee, Tony Barnett, Danny Morseau, Steve Breheny and the amazing American Rocky Smith."
From the official Melb Utd website.
http://www.melbourneutd.com.au/pages/35366-history-history.
No wonder people pull you up all the time with your so knowledgeable knowledge. Generally wrong.

Reply #669670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Settle down anon.

Reply #669673 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He was on the Saints in 79 as well, was one of their leading scorers, and they won the title that, but I don't think he actually played in the GF
He didn't, but he did in 1980.

Wrong again Kobe.
"Among the players on the 1979 and 1980 championship teams were Larry Sengstock, Robbie Cadee, Tony Barnett, Danny Morseau, Steve Breheny and the amazing American Rocky Smith."
From the official Melb Utd website.
http://www.melbourneutd.com.au/pages/35366-history-history.
You should have no trouble finding footage of Morseu playing in the 1979 grand final then. You're trusting a source that can't even spell the guy's name.

Reply #669674 | Report this post

Rufus  
Years ago

How time goes by and people forget the trailblazers!!!
Claude Williams was one of the first Aboriginal players in the NBL in 1979 (along with Danny Morseau) playing for the Sydney Astronauts and then the Sydney Supersonics in 1983.
He was also the all time leading Indigenous scorer with 39 points against the Melbourne Tigers (Andrew Gaze's team) in 1984.
In 1988 he became the first and ONLY head coach in the NBL in 1988 (Sydney Kings) before coaching the Newcastle Falcons in 1989 and 1990.

Reply #776743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rufus, did you just make the same typo that Melbourne United allegedly made? I sense koberulz stopping by any moment to call you out. BTW<,someone needs to contact Google as it is misspelt a lot there too.

Reply #776746 | Report this post

Rufus  
Years ago

Hey Anonymous,
Danny Morseau was on the St Kilda roster in 1979 and 1980 but not sure from memory if he played in both G/F's. He injured his knee and may have missed one or the other. Unfortunately the knee injury cut short his memorable career.
By the way, Graham Davis (also Aborigine) played for the Sydney Kings team in their inaugural team in the NBL in 1988.

Reply #776755 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's Morseu, not Morseau.

I notice the anon from earlier has been unable to provide footage of Morseu in the 1979 grand final, too.

Reply #776757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DANNY MORSEU

1979. Not sure how the table will show here but here is his 1979 stats.
Field 3 point Rebounds F/Throws Points AV

PL A M % A M % FL AS BL ST TO DA OF DE TOT A M % TOT PPG

16 220 110 50 0 0 0 46 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 44 32 73 252 16

Can somemone fix that please.

Reply #776771 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Don't forget there were other Aboriginal and indigenous Australians playing high level basketball who would have played NBL, if it had existed before 1979.

eg Michael Almaty- 1964 Olympics, represented NT in Australian championships. He was an on court genius for his spatial awareness and slick passing.

Since the start of the NBL, I highly doubt that any Australian-based Olympian would not play NBL.

Reply #776853 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

For anyone still wondering if there are any new indigenous players in the NBL this season, Davo Hickey at the Phoenix is indigenous.

Reply #776857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"By the way, Graham Davis (also Aborigine) played for the Sydney Kings team in their inaugural team in the NBL in 1988."

GD is one of the hardest and toughest players I have ever seen. Great guy

Reply #776859 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Indigenous Australians make up about 3% of the population.

So In a league with about 72 local players, you'd only need 2 to be considered representative.

It's claimed they make up 10% of the AFL. I personally would have guessed a little lower than that, but I suppose not all are obvious, so its probably about right.

I don't know how the average physical characteristics compare against the population average. It's fair to say, on a casual observation, that's there's quite a few small guys in the AFL, who would simply be too short for even the NBL. But I have also know some very tall & hard guys.

Perhaps as the influence of basketball spreads, along with the necessary infrastructure, we may see an uptick in participation?

Reply #776923 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:03 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754