Udog
Years ago

Wildcats history lesson

THE Adelaide 36ers created a monster when Perth Wildcats used the blueprint of the club's 1986 "Invincibles" to rebuild their struggling NBL club.

The Wildcats substantially improved on Adelaide’s initial model over time and today against Illawarra, start their quest for a record eighth NBL championship, while the 36ers languish far behind on four.

Perth, now in its record 31st straight finals, entered the NBL in 1982, the same season as Adelaide.
“I knew what I had to do,” Bruton recalls with fondness, having played on Brisbane’s runner-up to that team.

“I looked at Adelaide’s 1986 team and said 'that’s our blueprint’ for success.

“The Wildcats’ owner at the time, Bob Williams, recruited me to build a championship team so I took a leaf out of Adelaide’s book.”

Bruton recruited frontcourt import duo James Crawford and Kendall “Tiny” Pinder as his foils for Adelaide’s rebounding beasts Mark Davis and Bill Jones.

He had himself to match up against old friend and adversary Al Green, with Alan Black and Mike Ellis as his answers for Darryl Pearce.
Full story (from Feb 2017)

Topic #42606 | Report this topic

Udog  
Years ago

Posted this in another thread but thought it was a good look at that period so have started it's own.

Reply #669310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When people start complaining about Wildcats fans starting pointless threads, just remember this one.

Reply #669318 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

Exactly, think everyone has an idea by now and that's why we cop it when we lose.

Reply #669321 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Didn't enjoy it then?

Reply #669323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why wouldn't we enjoy it? What do you think it means?

My point was that everyone complains about Cats fans starting threads but you post this info in one thread, then repeat in its own thread, in a really bad attempt to stir the pot.

Reply #669325 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Only if you don't like reading it I guess.

Reply #669331 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Or because it's a basketball forum, in an easy to ignore thread, and it might be of interest to some people here? It doesn't need to be seen as an endless fan battle.

If only every NBL team had a fan base as talkative. I don't think anyone even started a thread for Hawks-Taipans yesterday!

Reply #669332 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Most likely Adelaide Invicibles wouldda won a few more ...but they sacked the coach......

Reply #669333 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

That was the biggest stuff up ever for the club. Set them back about 10 years after that.

Reply #669339 | Report this post

Blaze Bandi  
Years ago

Love the cats

Reply #669340 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Isaac is right. You don't have to read it. It's not inappropriate either considering it's the leagues 40th anniversary.

Reply #669357 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Why did they sack the coach?

Reply #669374 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Apparently for smoking doobies. There was a bit more to it under the surface though.

Reply #669386 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

It was a brilliant team though and Ken Cole was a great coach and massive personality.

Reply #669387 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Most of the team refused to play so they had to bring him back for the remainder of the season but it was the end of an era and much too short at that.

Reply #669391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for sharing..

Reply #669409 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Cal followed the blueprint to perfection and got himself sacked after a championship. The irony

Reply #669450 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:43 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754