Anonymous
Years ago

Jr NBA World championship

https://jrnbawc.nba.com/index.html

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FabUTd3eMHA

Topic #42623 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

The NBA, along with Basketball Australia announced that the Eltham Wildcats and Bulleen Boomers, the respective 2017 Australian Under-14 Boys and Girls Club Champions, will be representing Australia in the Jr. NBA World Championship, which will feature boys and girls teams ages 14 and under from around the world

Eltham Wildcats, Bulleen Boomers to represent Australia in Jr NBA World Championship

This is very cool. Well done to everyone involved in getting this done!

Reply #669717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will it be the same 2017 team or the current 2018 u14 team?

Reply #669729 | Report this post

James  
Years ago

It's the team from 2017.

Reply #669731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Be interesting in future years if players swap clubs.

Reply #669732 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Pretty amazing experience for those born 2004/2005 wow!

There's a lot of talent in both of those teams, that's for sure

Reply #669737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same system as the little league World Series baseball.

Not fair on nz though as they are not apart of the club champs and there is only 1 spot open for the Asia pacific region.

Reply #669748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually looking at, there might be two spots in our region.

Reply #669750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dandenong and Sydney must be kicking themselves.

What an opportunity!

Reply #669752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's nice that this has been organised in the spirit of the event (i.e., genuine club/regional sides rather than a BA all-star team or something). Should think both teams have a great chance to make it to the US and be very competitive when they get there.

#732, I'd almost be concerned about the opposite - with the extra opportunity available for winning club champs, are we more likely to see players switching to form super teams the year before the event? Southern Districts have a proud (/s) history of nabbing players from other Brisbane clubs to bolster their teams when they have qualified for club champs. I hope that doesn't become the norm with kids trying to get to this new event.

Reply #669754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought the same thing. Success over development.

Reply #669755 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

The reaction when the kids got told was priceless

Reply #669777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bulleen-Girls U14

HC-Travis Heal
AC-Julie Ore
DC-Sophia Ikosiedekas
M-Fonda Kourmadias

Emily Maltezoa 04 (154cm)
Kiralee Collings 04 (160cm)
Maggie Sullivan 04 (165cm)
Aleisha Cadee 04 (166cm)
Tessari Heal 04 (167cm)
Jordyn Kourmadias 04 (167cm)
Sarah Calvisi 04 (167cm)
Ally Marshall 04 (168cm)
Amisyn Leigh 04 (171cm)
Tabitha Betsin 05 (179cm)
Holly Griffiths 04 (181cm)
Ella McIntyre 04 (181cm)

Eltham-Boys U14

HC-Craig Stratford
AC-Amy Vine
AC-Carly Stones
M-Tania Weddle

Brody Glenn 04 (148cm)
Joshua Weddle 04 (162cm)
Zahn Agosta 04 (164cm)
Anton Stratov 04 (165cm)
Kristian Ferranato 05 (175cm)
Harrison Stones 04 (177cm)
Thomas Neale 04 (179cm)
Bradley Moorey 04 (180cm)
Henry Way 04 (183cm)
Riley Lewis 04 (183cm)

Reply #669827 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

How do people have children's heights. Or was that done on the day of the announcement.

Reply #669861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's on the u14 club Champ team list.

Reply #669865 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Being a parent of a 13 year old and one who has found their way in to some of the high performance pathways/squads, i feel like hitting the "eject button" on all of this when i see their heights being referenced or their names thrown around (can you NOT do that, seriously)

So much pressure on these kids, some will handle it well and some won't. I really hope their parents are working hard to ensure they are doing other things besides basketball.

The opportunity itself is so awesome and i hope they have the best time over there, but as basketball fans on Hoops can we just try and lay off naming 13 year olds on public forums.

Reply #669883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Names are already listed in public with age, d.o.b and height.

http://basketball.net.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/2017_U14_Girls-Team-Lists-for-Release.pdf

Reply #669884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://basketball.net.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/2017_U14_Boys-Team-Lists-for-Release.pdf

If it's a problem the mod can get rid of the post.

Reply #669885 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The forum guideline on naming U18 players is mostly about judging the performance or worthiness of players. They can be named (especially as the details are already public) in a purely informational manner.

if it goes beyond that, report posts and I will delete or block where appropriate.

Reply #669886 | Report this post

Norman  
Years ago

I think this is great - sorry Australia but Melbourne clubs will have an ownership on this trip for sometime. They will be schooled in the USA - Aussies play good team games and work hard but nowhere near as talented and competitive as USA.

Reply #670359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree, junior programs in the US are far more advanced.

It's not like the baseball where you have some Asian nations on par with the US at youth level.

Reply #670366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know the favourites in the vjbl this year?

Reply #670367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are two brackets - a US one and an overseas one. So unless the Aus teams make the final they won't play against any US sides.

Reply #670372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1 team for the whole of Europe.

Reply #670385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My question is when will this be held? And if it clashes with this year's U14s nationals, and the Eltham boys qualify, which does young Ferranato pick to attend?

Reply #670393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It doesn't clash.

Reply #670397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norman you do realise Australia are the current U17 World champions in Womens and very competitive in the Mens side of it. US Basketball doesn't get really serious until year 9 when all high schools start their Varsity and Junior Varsity competitions. This is when US kids start training loads more than we do here in Aust. I think you will find the Aussies going over are very competitive at this age.

Reply #670999 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

^ yes to above. The US have some awesome juniors with brilliant skills, but not many 'super teams' at 13 years old.

I hope the mullets are back by the Eltham boys.

Reply #671051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

13y.o kids are far more advanced individually in the u.s than Australia.
As a team, we might have the edge.

Reply #671055 | Report this post

Norman  
Years ago

yes I am aware of u17s - that is our national team - this is about club teams.

I presume the american teams will be AAU champions - the really good AAU teams are at a completely higher level than what we are used to here. 185cm 13-14yos that can dunk - yes our team games might be good but the Aussie teams have to get a lot better in a lot of other areas. I have no idea how they will get a European rep - that team alone will be exceptional as well. Still I'm all for this competition.

Reply #671101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Club based teams, just like little league baseball.
1 club represents and entire region.

They don't pick the best players from that region and put them together.

Reply #671121 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:17 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754