Anonymous
Years ago

New Melbourne Team

I'm hearing the NBL are within 2 weeks of giving an answer on a new NBL team for Melbourne next season. Anyone got more info?

Topic #42633 | Report this topic

Qean  
Years ago

Ask knox

Reply #669934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hi Knox, can I ask you?

Reply #669935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knox, Knox who's there.

Reply #669937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #669938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully it's not called the boomers.

Reply #669939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could be called the Magpies

Reply #669940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they add Collingwood Asa team, it'll show kestleman has no idea.

Reply #669942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is BS

Reply #669947 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It would seem odd to me, since the whole point of blowing up the Tigers brand and changing to United was to move away from being a team with a limited supporter base and a majority of fans for whom the old brand would always be a rival.
I wonder how many Victorian basketball fans aren't footy fans.

Reply #669948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luuuc, Collingwood don't have a "limited" supporter base. One of the larger supporter bases in the AFL.

Reply #669951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kestleman has plenty of idea mate, he saved a league that was going to become a glorified SEABL if that. Now it's flying again. List some of the "idea" you have?

Reply #669953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only team guaranteed large support is one in the south east of Melbourne.
S.e Melbourne magic south dragons etc.

People will associate Collingwood with football which will turn people away.

Reply #669954 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I know they have a large (possibly the largest) AFL supporter base in Victoria, but it still puts them into a "faction" of sorts, where you're basically going to put off fans of 8 of the 9 Melbourne AFL teams from becoming a fan of the basketball team.
I don't know how big a factor it would be. Just putting it out there. Maybe the footy club sees potential for adding current non-AFL basketball fans to their membership.

Reply #669956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There will simply not be a second melbourne team. End of

Reply #669957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There will be multiple AFL teams with NBL teams in the next three years. A few in Melb too.

Reply #669958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luuuc, all they need is a "faction" of their 100,000 or so members to come each week and they'll kill it.

Reply #669959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most successful Euro teams do it this way also

Reply #669961 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

When you have two teams it's fine to be factional for one; when there’s only one team it’s stupid to be factional

Reply #669962 | Report this post

ferdterguson  
Years ago

The Richwood Pigers?

Reply #669965 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

LK getting United more support, by bringing in Collingwood you automatically get 80% of the sporting public in Melb supporting the non-magpie team.

Reply #669971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure that theory won't work.

Reply #669976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shhhhh BOGUT......

Reply #669977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A team with current & ex NBA players as minority owners would be great for league....BOGUT, Ingles, Mills, Simmons

Perhaps Exum as starting PG

Reply #669981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big mistake.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collingwood_Warriors_S.C.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlton_SC

Reply #669997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The timing was off, that's all. The A-League wasn’t kicking

Reply #670018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah right. A-League is struggling.

Reply #670020 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

I think a team representing the south east suburbs of Melb would go very well. Not sure if I'd use the names magic or dragons though. Dragons did seem to have a good fan base though.

Reply #670021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perfect time for kestleman to take over the wnbl and align the teams with there Nbl counterparts. Same setup as a league/w league.
Later on adding a youth/dp league thats sit under the nbl/wnbl so that all these players sitting on the bench can prove themselves in real games.

Bendigo scrapped until Bendigo men's team comes with expansion.
Dandenong gets absorbed into s.e Melbourne team. Some games at Dandenong, some at SBC.

Men's and women's
United
S.E Melbourne
Sydney
Illawarra
Perth
Adelaide
Brisbane
Cairns/Townsville (split into two in the long term)
Auckland

Expansion
Bendigo
Hobart
Perth 2
Wellington
Newcastle
Canberra
Townsville/Cairns

16 team comp.

Reply #670054 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Why even bother playing at Dandenong or sbc? I don't think either are big enough to sustain an nbl team in Melb. Maybe Margaret court at the very least

Reply #670063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No money in women's sport.

Reply #670072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its definitely not knox

Reply #670099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knox cant afford a seabl team.

Reply #670152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have you guys not read about the sbc expansion?

250 mill revamp with 8000+ seat arena.
5000+ more seats than the current show court...

Reply #670187 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Isn't the SBC likely to become the next Waverley Park/VFL Park?

Reply #670221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never drag down the NBL by adding the WNBL. No way. That is a fast way to lose cash.

Reply #670228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If a new Melbourne team plays at MSAC OR if its affiliated with Collingwood in any way, it'll be proof that Kestelman and his family have no idea.

Reply #670229 | Report this post

Anono  
Years ago

If Collingwood were awarded a team surely it would make sense for them to play out of Margaret Court Arena. It's across the road from Collingwoods Headquarters and training facilities, is in Melbournes Sporting precinct so is accessible to everybody.

Reply #670256 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Why wouldnt they just play at Hisense?

Reply #670258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Their will be an AFL team 'swooping' in

Reply #670265 | Report this post

Anono  
Years ago

I imagine that as a new entrant they're unlikely to attract 8,000-10,000 to their games straight up. Margaret Court Arena would be a better option if you're getting 6,000ish

Reply #670274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prefer to see expansion in NZ.

I grew up diehard SE Melb Magic, tentatively got behind Victoria Titans, but lost interest in the NBL until the United rebranding due to my deep hatred for the Tigers and any other team that popped up disappeared as quickly as they came. A second Melbourne team makes no sense given the "United" ethos and I struggle to see the fan base exists to back another team.

Reply #670301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would easily get 5000-10000 a game in the S.E.

Reply #670308 | Report this post

Anono  
Years ago

5-6000, sure. Don't see a basis for more than that straight up, especially not "easily", in their first season

Reply #670316 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Expansion should be on the back burner. League is present in the major money markets and needs invest in winning the public back to make it profitable.

It's been proved time and time again in this league that entering new teams is not a solution, tired of seeing teams fold. Develop the popularity of the league and enter new teams when the public demand one.

Reply #670333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SBC would need to have a serious parking upgrade if they want to more than double the capacity of the stadium. And it stinks like a tip out there!!

Melbourne team would have to be SE based. I reckon the only AFL team that would work would be Hawthorn. Maybe they have plans to put in a basketball stadium in their big Dingley relocation project...

Whichever AFL teams end up having NBL teams, I would recommend naming them differently. Would require some creativity. Hawthorn and Collingwood exist as basketball clubs already. One is quite successful and the other is growing rapidly.

Reply #670347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe someone can copy the herald sun article on the state basketball centres proposed 250 million dollar upgrade posted last month.

Reply #670348 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

16 team comp would be better w two divisions.

Reply #670349 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

BTown, expansion is exactly what the league needs right now in my opinion. Theres many reasons for past failed attempts, with bad timing (eg bringing new teams when the league was shit) and too many teams at various stages being among them (13-14 teams is probably too many even during the so called golden years)

Right now the league is looking healthy again and with the league being an 8 team competition for quite a long time now, its time to start expanding or risk becoming stale and boring, which its in danger of doing if no new teams come in. 8 teams is a bit low for a professional league.

Reply #670353 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Collingwood is getting a team.

Reply #670455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not Collingwood

Reply #670882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmania and S.E team coming soon.

Reply #670887 | Report this post

Over it  
Years ago

MELBOURNE THUNDER???

Reply #672846 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

It absolutely makes sense, and the NBL would be nuts to not be looking at all options.
The league is barely viable, and a couple of teams are a year-to-year proposition. ONly takes a couple of those to stagger, and the league becomes a joke.

The biggest audience for BBL generally is still Melbourne, the alltime attendance record still belongs to a Melbourne Derby final, and you have the stadiums to cash in on them.
Bottomline is that it is allround the cheapest expansion option available.

The idea of an NBL franchise makes some sense for many Melbourne AFL teams. (Although ironically perhaps less so for Collingwood.)
They already have the gyms, training facilities, management, membership, and sponsorship staff in place (many of whom have extreme peaks in their work-year.)
They are mostly locked in a grim struggle for new members and sponsors in a saturated ultra-competitive market. And the market they are all chasing is youth without existing affiliations. Considering they are all legacy clubs ostensibly based in the city, its not even as though they can rely on geographical location.

Imagine if you could successfully launch a 2nd team in Melbourne, and grow that supporter base to its potential. Converting those people to your AFL cause would be a salivating prospect for some of the struggling clubs.

Also need to appreciate that by and large NBL players can be asked to work a lot harder in community events, and here you have the opportunity to build your brand year-round.

Now yes, from the NBL perspective, I think that say re-birthing the Saints as an AFL offshoot would be limiting, but perhaps there's a happy medium somewhere.

Lets also not forget what I will call the "Freo Fenomenon."
I cheered the Eagles to victory in 92 & 94 sitting next to guys who will now swear to my face that they "didn't follow AFL" until Freo joined. Excluding those permanently ensconced in Cafes, The City of Fremantle has a population of about 28. (There's a far larger population in East Fremantle, but they mostly hate those in the south and support the Eagles.) Yet despite this Fremantle is one of the most financially successful teams in the AFL, with a membership that most Melbourne clubs would murder for.
Point is, that for whatever reason, it may be possible to pull together substantial support for a 2nd Melbourne team.

Reply #672860 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

It's Geelong sponsored by Geelong Cats of the AFL

Reply #672889 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Already been in the media, no Geelong team possible without at least a 5,000 seat stadium, so while that's a nice dream, it will remain a dream until they start building something.

South Dragons, just call them Melbourne Dragons if need be and be done with it I reckon.....

Reply #673622 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:44 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754