Luuuc
Years ago

Suspensions for Teys & Kernich-Drew

Brendan Teys (Adelaide) - Unduly Rough Play graded as Intentional, Body Contact and High Impact. Penalty – 2 games with no possibility of early plea.

Dexter Kernich-Drew (Perth) – Unduly Rough Play graded as Intentional, Body Contact and High Impact. Penalty – 2 games with no possibility of early plea.

Game Review Panel Charges - Perth vs Adelaide

Topic #42651 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Years ago

Lucas Walker (Perth) and Shannon Shorter (Adelaide) have been charged with Bench Clearing which carries a penalty of a $500 fine which can be reduced to a $375 fine with an early guilty plea.

Shannon Shorter, Nelson Larkins, Mitch Creek, Anthony Drmic, Majok Deng (Adelaide), Dexter Kernich-Drew, Jarrod Kenny and Clint Steindl (Perth) have all been charged with engaging in melee / brawl which carries a penalty of a $500 fine which can be reduced to a $375 fine with an early guilty plea.

Reply #670830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did Teys not engage in the melee?

Reply #670831 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I think he was under it

Reply #670836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Walker throwing Nelson? Nothing?

Reply #670837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nelson barging into Walker? Nothing?

Reply #670838 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Yeah. Walker got a sore ankle

Reply #670839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Nelson got what he deserved. All balanced out in the end.

Reply #670840 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Hopefully it spurs the 36ers on through the season now they've been riled up.

Reply #670841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While Teys' foul was a complete bitch move, I don’t see how what he did to Cummings was the same as what DKD did to him.

Reply #670842 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

That's what I was thinking

Reply #670845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think what Teys did to DKD happened on the play before which wasn't shown.

Reply #670850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This game alone will almost take care of the Christmas party for NBL HQ

Reply #670851 | Report this post

And both are two times worse than Conger hitting Newley in the head

Reply #670852 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Both players aren't that important to their teams.

Reply #670854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The referee that called the usf on steindl should be suspended.

Reply #670862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teys is Adelaide's captain

Reply #670865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrible, terrible call the USF. The NBL wonder why the refs get criticised all the time. That ref needs to be dropped and never referee NBL for at least this season.

Reply #670881 | Report this post

Except it was the right call as per the rules this season. Perth fans as uneducated as ever

Reply #670891 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

chaz What is the explicit rule then? There is no way he was trying to foul or trying to disguise the foul, he was defending the basket almost inside the keyway.

Even if as you say the call is correct (i am not so sure) surely this is not how it was meant to be interpreted and applied.

Reply #670893 | Report this post

If there is no defender between the ball and the basket you can not touch the offensive player from the side or behind.

I don't like it but that’s the rule

Reply #670895 | Report this post

Snooch  
Years ago

There's no way that's an usf. He was in a defensive position. That's not the rule. It was a poor call.

Reply #670900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it true Adelaide use the refs as character witnesses for their players to come to these decisions? Poor form is true.

Reply #670903 | Report this post

You have to be in front of the ball to have defensive position, Steindl hit Childress from the side.

Reply #670910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where was Steindl when Childress got the ball? Between the ball and the basket?

Reply #670911 | Report this post

That's irrelevant

It’s not that difficult to get

Reply #670915 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Just give up

Reply #670916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course it's relevant.

By the rule you posted above "if there is no defender between the ball and the basket.. ." Well if Steindl is that defender between the ball and the basket, how can he commit an USF under that rule?

Reply #670920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shut the fuck up Udog. Your whole contribution today has been "lol gleeson gonna cry" but now you're telling two people having a discussion about the rules to give up. You're a twat.

Reply #670924 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

The new rules are terrible and they've made a complete mess of them this year. This is my reason for saying give up. Thabks for your kind words also.

Reply #670927 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Could you not make a case 45 degrees is infront off?

It's madness and if that is how the nbl intends to call a usf then they are making a mockery of themselves and the sport.

I understand the desire to stop intentional fouls and the breakaway dunk, the "i was genuinely going for a Hail Mary steal" when i was the last defender in line stuff.

But to deem that play where he appeared to be playing genuine defence with hands out trying to stay between his player and the basket is insane!

If that is how you adjudicate the rule then the defender may as well get their moneys worth, and chuck a walker or a creek from friday nights game.

Reply #670928 | Report this post

Slam Drunk  
Years ago

Nothing beats Childress in Perth a few season back

Reply #670929 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I still cannot believe Childress only got a game for using his elbow and forearm in an attempt to remove Wagstaff's entire neck and head.

And Teys gets 2 games for a dirty foul while DKD gets same for a bit of push and shove.

Reply #670933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL refs need to go to Europe (or make them watch Euroleague) to learn how to call games with the new rules. They are completely misapplying them but they only watch NBA on TV so have no idea.

Reply #670938 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The Steindl call had nothing to do with the new rules.

I don't think that rule needs to exist anymore with the new rule in place, but it's been there for a long time.

Reply #670940 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think that's probably the best outcome

Reply #670967 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Perth got off lightly with the USF on Steinem and cancel the basket.

The alternative was foul Steindl, basket counts and 1 shot plus Coach Tech Gleeson 1 & side.

Me Lyons saved Perth 1 free throw. You just know Gleeson would have lost his shot had Lyons counted the basket, therefore if the foul stopped a certain basket, then USF is the only call.

Reply #670972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With mere seconds left on the clock, the whole incident in Perth would not have taken place if Teys didn't cheap shot DKD. So he deserves the charge. As Captain of an NBL club he should be able to hold back his little bitch tendencies.

Lucas Walker should have been DQ foul for his reaction to Larkins. Larkins 'hit' on Walker is an old school box out. So that double foul was wrong.

Reply #670990 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I think sixers are appealing teys suspension.
larkins banged into walker much like petrie vukuna do most of the time...

Reply #670993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" the whole incident in Perth would not have taken place if Teys didn't cheap shot DKD."

Teys hit Cummings, thats what started it. It was dirty but wasn't overly vicious. He got an USF on the spot and thats all it deserved.

Reply #670994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An unsportsmanlike foul is a player contact foul which, in the judgement of an official is:

Contact by the defensive player from behind or laterally on an opponent in an attempt to stop the fast break and there is no defensive player between the offensive player and the opponent's basket.

The refs ignored the second part of the rule. Wrong decision.

Reply #670996 | Report this post

Pete  
Years ago

Teys copped an USF. It was deserved for the hard challenge. Should not be suspended.

DKD's blindside and attempted punch after deserves a suspension.

NBL were always going to hand out the same penalty to an Adl player as whatever DKD got. It's bullshit, but was always going to happen.

Larkins boxing out a big man is hardly worthy of a foul, let alone an USF. Walker dropping him by the head is at least an USF.

Reply #671002 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Interesting tweet from NBL media manager in response to an Advertiser comment piece about the league's double standards in its promotion.

Nick Johnston
‏@nick_nbl
The media is happy to play the incidents ad nauseam to drive traffic yet seemingly has none of the responsibility you want to lecture us about. What would you like us to do? Erase history?

https://twitter.com/reecehomfray/status/959718068426481664

Reply #671018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He completely missed the point of the criticism!

Reply #671019 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Points are hard to get with your head up your bum

Reply #671021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Teys hit Cummings, thats what started it. It was dirty but wasn't overly vicious. He got an USF on the spot and thats all it deserved."

Did you not watch the play before where Teys came from the side and hip and shouldered DKD? That is where a lot of it started. If the umpire had of teched them both when they were arguing around him instead of letting it go then it wouldn't have gotten to where it got to.

Reply #671022 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From the half-bakery: If you can't use for promotion something you penalise, can you include an and-1 in a highlights video?

I'd be interested to know if the NBA or AFL use biffo highlights to promote upcoming games? The NBA seem especially sensitive to it, going as far as to try and remove even the slightest taunts from the game.

Reply #671025 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Nice work from Boti:

At this point, all players charged should immediately secure paperwork for ownership of their own image rights, then charge the NBL $500 (or $375 for an early response) for any melee vision the league uses to promote its playoffs or other Perth-Adelaide matches over the next 40 years.

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/the-verdicts-are-in-/

Reply #671026 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Cambage would've got it down to $500 fines. Why didn’t the players use her as legal representation. Bugger

Reply #671087 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Zodiac

Interesting idea and would be fun to see it tried.

But I think the players waive their image rights for in-game footage just by playing in the league.

Reply #671088 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think that's the case too but I suspect Boti had his tongue in his cheek. The players get fined for being bad boys yet no doubt the NBL will use that footage to sell the competition for all it's worth.

Reply #671096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teys copped an USF. It was deserved for the hard challenge. Should not be suspended.

It was a hip and shoulder, not a basketball play at all. Similar to striking, has no place in the game.

Larkins boxing out a big man is hardly worthy of a foul, let alone an USF. Walker dropping him by the head is at least an USF.

Larkins dropped his shoulder and took a couple of steps into Walker. Looked like it would have hit around the solar plexus. IMO, Walker's response was worse, but you can't call that a regular box out.

From the half-bakery: If you can't use for promotion something you penalise, can you include an and-1 in a highlights video?

I think the difference is that most 'and 1' plays result from fouls occurring from legitimate defence. The infractions and conflict being discussed here are not part of the game.

Reply #671196 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The suggestion that this sort of thing should be memory-holed is absurd.

The NBL is unfortunately in a position where it's its only major broadcaster is itself. People say the NBA or AFL wouldn't promote something like this, but ESPN and Fox Footy absolutely would. NBL Media has to be given a level of independence from the operation of the actual league.

Reply #671200 | Report this post

Snooch  
Years ago

Give it a rest. NBL should never be using these sorts of incidents in its promotion. The NBL's GM of media and communications is condoning the use of these sort of incidents in its promotional material. Pretty sure he's an NBL employee - and as such isn't independent of the league.

Reply #671206 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Lol at the nbl tweet. Not a bright fellow. Of course they don't have the same responsibility, they don’t represent the leagues as a whole.

Reply #671212 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:54 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754