Very Old
Years ago

Apology to Brett Hogan by News Corp.

On February 5 2017 this website published an article of and concerning NBL referee, Brett Hogan.

This website accepts that the allegations in the article were false and this website apologises to Mr Hogan for the embarrassment and hurt to feelings that it has caused him.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/apology-to-brett-hogan/news-story/970a5aee22bad4d4786478f81610b908

Topic #42740 | Report this topic

Train  
Years ago

What did the original article state? I take it the article is no longer available.

Reply #673516 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/40800-nbl-statement-joey-wright/

http://www.espn.com.au/espn/story/_/id/18620953/nbl-deny-adelaide-36ers-coach-joey-wright-racism-claims-referee-brett-hogan

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/adelaide-nbl-coach-fined-over-race-claim

Reply #673517 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

original article was here

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/adelaide-36ers-coach-joey-wright-in-racial-dispute-after-ejection/news-story/3379de24e132a61309a65daf779f0a56

flavour of it can be read here http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/joey-wright-ejected-as-adelaide-36ers-fall-to-new-zealand-breakers/news-story/f661d71ba165f26fcaee120ee8362a64

Reply #673519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this why Boti is no longer employed by the Advertiser?

Reply #673520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why didn't Boti just block Hogan on twitter, which is what he normally does when someone points out that he is wrong? Such a thin-skinned man for someone who dishes out so much shit to people.

Reply #673521 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Thanks@Very Old

Geez that was a while back, I remember it now. Took the advertiser a while with that apology.

Reply #673522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disgraceful by both Boti and Wright. Lucky they weren't sued.

Reply #673523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You will find proceedings were initiated

Reply #673524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes indeed they were. More I meant lucky they weren't followed on with.

Reply #673525 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Hmmm now that you brought it up, I don't recall seeing Hogan reffing any games this season.

Reply #673527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He retired from the NBL in November.

Reply #673528 | Report this post

It's not like Boti to let the truth get in the way of a story. He has spent the last 40 years making up stories and try to destroy careers.

Reply #673531 | Report this post

Handled very poorly by the NBL. Joey is smart enough to know he cant make up things as serious this without base.

Reply #673532 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Gee so basically if your black you can throw out the race card and you get a little slap on the wrist...imagine if the show is on the other foot??

Reply #673534 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Wow I can't believe Joey would do that.

I hope that Hogan didn't retire because of this incident.

Reply #673535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Gee so basically if your black you can throw out the race card and you get a little slap on the wrist...imagine if the show is on the other foot?? "

I think what it comes down to is if you're really unprofessional and a sore loser (Joey) you'll do or say anything to deflect blame.

Reply #673537 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

The race card seems to be used far too often, with news outlets pouncing on any story about allegations of racism.

These kinds of allegations stick and a short apology does very little to restore Hogan's reputation. Meanwhile, Wright losing credibility over his use of the race card will only be remembered by a few.

Reply #673538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"with news outlets pouncing on any story about allegations of racism."

This goes a step further. It seems Boti was complicit in ensuring the baseless allegations carried some weight, and its not the first time he has knowingly spoken complete crap in order to defend Joey and the Sixers.

Reply #673539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey Wright is a disgrace and should be booted from the league

Reply #673544 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

" in ensuring the baseless allegations" ??? i thought school was back by this week ?

http://www.espn.com.au/espn/story/_/id/18629023/adelaide-36ers-nbl-coach-joey-wright-fined-referee-race-claim

NBL 2017 - "The NBL's investigation at the time into that incident did not result in any findings in relation to any remarks or slurs of a racial nature," the NBL said in a statement.

Joey was reported and fined in 2017 for making the statement that a referee had been reported and suspended by the NBL FOR racial abuse in 2011, which was incorrect. This can be incorrect and baseless, even if racial abuse did occur and was part of the actions of the referee , but was but was - ignored by the panel - unsupported by the presented evidence - not a chargeable offense within the NBL rules and thus could not be part of the NBL finding.

Hmmm, it may also be that it is only News Corp that does NOT access to the audio of what was actually said by the referee to Wright, during the incident in which that referee was reported to AND suspended by the NBL for their conduct ( but NOT specifically for racial Abuse) while other private parties do.

Who Knows ?

Reply #673545 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Need to note, I have no doubt that Hogan is not racist, and I've personally heard many quiet (and loud) racist comments ON the NBL court addressed to, by, from and between players and coaches of almost every colour and ethnicity, but only by referees when off the court in the bar, and even that was back in the 80's and not said as a disparaging remake in itself( remember 80's ...somewhat unenlightened back then).

However there have been NBL coaches and players who have rubbed officials the wrong way, and those officials have subsequently developed a reputation that suggest they subsequently avoided giving any leeway to those players/coaches. just the way it is.

Reply #673548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"" in ensuring the baseless allegations" ??? i thought school was back by this week ?"

Was that an attempt at an insult?

Reply #673552 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:01 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754