Isaac
Years ago

Mark Cuban fined US$600k for tanking comment

The NBA fined outspoken Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban $600,000 on Wednesday for comments about tanking during a podcast with Hall of Famer Julius Erving.

Commissioner Adam Silver said the fine was for "public statements detrimental to the NBA." The league said the podcast with Erving was posted Sunday, the day the All-Star game was played in Los Angeles.

Cuban said during the 30-minute interview that he met recently with some of his players and told them "losing is our best option." Cuban was trying to illustrate to Erving how he believes he is a transparent owner.

"I'm probably not supposed to say this, but I just had dinner with a bunch of our guys the other night," Cuban said. "And here we are. We weren't competing for the playoffs. I was like, 'Look, losing is our best option.'

"Adam would hate to be hearing that. But at least I sat down and I explained it to them. And I explained what our plans are going to be this summer, that we're not going to tank again. This is like a year and a half of tanking. That was too brutal for me."
Full story

Tops his previous best - $500k for criticising refs.

Topic #42759 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

Cuban & the Mavs will likely be getting a much bigger fine than that shortly.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/02/21/report-mavericks-have-animal-house-predatory-work-environment-team-investigating/

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/02/21/statement-defending-self-by-former-mavs-employee-makes-things-sound-worse/

Reply #673960 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

600K doesn't even touch the sides!!

nearly half of the teams are tanking so not sure why you can;t talk about it!

The NBA might soon need to look at a split format like the Scottish premier league as its starting to become a joke!

The rule change just give 3 teams a bigger chance at the 1st pick so gives teams more reason to tank as you can be a 1 in 3 shot at getting it!

Reply #673962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cuban is honest but will pay for his honesty. and now it looks like NBA are getting revenge by workplace BS. That's what happens when you open your mouth. But sitll I appreciate his honesty but NBA and Silver will make him pay.

Reply #674015 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Dallas should be stripped of its draft pick for next year. Teams wouldn't tank if that was at risk, as opposed to fines that are meaningless to guys like Cuban.

It's crazy he's being fined for "detrimental statements" but no consequences for actually tanking.

Reply #674019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because then ten or so teams would be fined for tanking... slippery slope.

Reply #674021 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Playing your bench out of position for the rest of the year isn't the same as playing your usual rotation and deliberately missing shots or not playing D. I wonder if he'd stated that they want to give the bench players more opportunities (which is effectively tanking), would he get even an email from the head office?

Reply #674024 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:05 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754