Luuuc
Years ago

NZ Breakers announce new ownership

@lukesicari

The @NZBreakers have announced a press conference tomorrow, for a "significant announcement on the future of the club in the Australian National Basketball League." #NBL18

Topic #42773 | Report this topic

Ingles13  
Years ago

Interesting

Reply #674300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://twitter.com/NZBreakers/status/967603649965772800?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E2

Reply #674301 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

Name change to Auckland Breakers?

Reply #674302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope its a name change it would mean another nz team is coming to the league

Reply #674303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Announcing new owners! You heard it here first

Reply #674305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually I heard it on twitter first.

Reply #674308 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

'Their future in the NBL' used to mean the club no longer had one.

Reply #674311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've also go the names of the new owners, you got that on Twitter too?

Reply #674319 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I hear they bought the whole team for sux fufty and 2 sheep.

Reply #674362 | Report this post

Dave Marshall  
Years ago

It is indeed new owners.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/101768150/nba-stars-move-in-to-take-control-of-breakers

A consortium headed up by Matt Walsh, an NZ player who played two games for Miami. There are some other members with ownership interests in Swansea City FC, and also Shawn Marion.

The Blackwells will stay on as minority shareholders.

Reply #674383 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Sounds like a pretty big deal for the Breakers going forward. I think an overhaul of their core is probably (over)due, so great timing too.

Reply #674384 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A consortium including two former NBA players and a co-owner of English Premier League club Swansea City will become the new majority shareholders in the Breakers, New Zealand's successful basketball franchise.

Long time club owners and directors Paul and Liz Blackwell announced on Monday that a newly formed company, Breakers Basketball Ltd, will take control of the club from March 1, on the eve of the club's eight appearance in 11 years in the NBL semifinals.

The consortium is headed by former NBA player Matt Walsh, along with business partners Adam Goodman, Romie Chaudhari, Dan Katz and Shawn Marion.
Had never heard of Matt Walsh. Wonder what brought Shawn Marion's interest to NZ?

Reply #674388 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Isaac, I wonder if Shawn Marion has a relationship/links to Sean Marks? This is a thought that comes to mind, that maybe Shawn has a relationship with a NZ basketballer and it has led to this?

No idea, just guessing. A great thing having business and basketball people with significant wealth behind them invested in the team.

Reply #674398 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Will they be called the New Zealand T-Rex's now then?

Reply #674423 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

For those wanting a second NZ team, does this help that at all ?

It certainly sounds like this club will remain prosperous

Reply #674436 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Im sure these guys would of have some good contacts that would help bring quality players into the NBL. Which is super exciting!

Reply #674438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I cant see Paul Henare staying?

Reply #674439 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Boucher will still be running the show but Walsh will be working closely with him.
Henare will still remain Coach.

great news for the club. a stable ownership group with experience and plenty of $

Reply #674446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not sure it is great news

Paul and Liz Blackwell are the best owners anyone could hope for

Matt Walsh retired from professional basketball 2 years ago. Now he runs the show. Atleast dillion Boucher spent many years learning the ropes before he was gm. This guys has the keys and he is on his learners licence from driving on the wrong side of the road.

Reply #674463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul and Liz are still in the ownership group. Boucher is still in the management team. Walsh has stated no big changes from a basketball perspective, but plenty new from commercial aspect.

Reply #674514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does this mean no more NSEC? Pleasssssse

Reply #674516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can a 10 year journeyman with 2 years commercial experience add anything. Where I come from we call them graduates.

Reply #674915 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

If there's no friction with Walsh coming into the administration, it will most likely be a very good outcome for the organisation.

Reply #674946 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:01 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754