Perth fan
Years ago

The cost of being part of the Red Army

Membership renewal prices just got released.

Looks like price increases across the board.

Not sure what extra value people are getting for the increases.

I'm sure someone will provide a breakdown.

All I know is my tickets went up an extra $150 each

Topic #42780 | Report this topic

He's the GOAT  
Years ago

Demand over quantity, my friend. And the Wildcats have more demand than any other team in the league. Good on them.

Reply #674414 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Reply #674416 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Gold tickets up $70

Reply #674417 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Captains Club $999 -> $1149
Platinum $949 -> $1049
Gold $699 -> $769
Silver $399 -> $449
Bronze $329 -> $359

(Prices for adults who are already members)

Reply #674419 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

I nice 'thank you' for breaking attendance records. I’ll pay it but I wonder what the tipping point is.

Reply #674421 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I read someehere that there was a period to multiple seasons where there was no increase, if that is true then an increase is understandable / bearable?

Reply #674422 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yes, my membership cost the same in 2015, '16 & '17, so the increase is totally understandable.
(Still hurts though!)

Reply #674424 | Report this post

Perth Fan  
Years ago

An increase is justified after three years of no increases.

However an increase to make up for the three years of no increases is a bit rough.

Will be interesting if the cats are swept out of the playoffs in the first round too.

Interestingly, the cats have set up a "automatic renewal" system too.

Reply #674425 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Yep, first time for a few years that the price has gone up. I'm happy with that.
I have silver memberships, so mine was up $50 - which if you break it down over 14 home games, is only $3.57 per game increase. Reasonable.

Reply #674428 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"Interestingly, the cats have set up a "automatic renewal" system too."

This was setup last year also, I like it as I don't need to do anything to renew - but I imagine some people might not like that option.

Reply #674429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It really would be interesting if another team came into the WA market how many fans would jump across.

Reply #674430 | Report this post

Perth Fan  
Years ago

I think more would jump than people expect.

The wildcats cater to casuals, families and lovers of dunk shots quite well with their "entertainment" offerings.

Paying for the dancers, the band, the dunk team etc all adds on to your membership cost.

A new team may not have all these things to start off with so maybe cheaper, especially if playing at a smaller venue.

Reply #674432 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I'd happily pay extra if it was an indication of more games ala Tasmania has a team and we get 16 home games... then I'd understand it

Reply #674435 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Derek Cooke must be getting paid a fortune!

Reply #674437 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Do people not wearing red stick out like I did when I attended a death metal concert at heaven nightclub wearing all white?

Reply #674440 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The fact that you have to renew before the playoffs have even finished is insane.

I'm also curious as to where you found those prices because they didn't appear to be in the email.

Reply #674441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have to click the link in the email.

Reply #674451 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I can only find the new member info on the site.

This really should be in the email, along with details of the payment plan.

Reply #674454 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

membership.wildcats.com.au

Reply #674458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats don't just want passionate members they want smart members. If you can't follow simple directions from an email with clear instructions and a link then consider joining the Perth Glory

Reply #674460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What part of "you have to click the link in the email" was too hard to understand?

Reply #674461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rsth

Reply #674462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Waiting for KR to call everyone dumb

Reply #674465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A bit off topic, but the Melbourne Cricket Club's (MCC) yearly membership subscription expires at the end of August each year.

Wonder why? Oh yeah, the AFL finals start in September. That's a strong reason to re-new your membership.

Smart Marketing for the MCC as there are guaranteed finals each year. However, what if the Wildcats don't make the finals?

Without me looking at the Wildcats website what do you get for those different membership categories? ie. Obviously entry to home games, walk up seating or a Permanent/Guaranteed reserved seat - where - does it depend on the Membership category?, etc.

Reply #674466 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What part of "you have to click the link in the email" was too hard to understand?
The only link I can find in the email goes to the home page of the membership site.

Under "Seating & Pricing" it only shows new member prices. Under "Packages" it only shows new member prices with bold text up the top claiming existing members will be sent other pricing information shortly.

Reply #674467 | Report this post

SK  
Years ago

KR - scroll down and click on 2018/19 renewals

Reply #674471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Having 3 captains club memberships for the last 10 years this might just be the final straw. a $150 increase per seat is a bit rich. Wouldn't surprise me if they have a decrease in memberships this season. Especially if they don't win a championship.

Reply #674472 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

On which page? I can't see any such link.

Reply #674474 | Report this post

SK  
Years ago

KR - membership.wildcats.com.au

Reply #674477 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I've figured it out.

Firefox:

Chrome:

Reply #674478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you so insecure that you had to post screenshots. lol

Reply #674517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Free NBL TV for your team will do for me.

NBL isn't worth the money they charge, especially if you have experienced NBA and college ball in the US.

Going to Melbourne this long weekend and even Melb Utd semi tickets are steep. Thought it was only a Wildcat thing but evidently not. Not worth it.

Also a price increase after the club didn't pay the money to adequately replace Marvin or Cooke. If you renew you're a sucker.

Reply #674518 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

My silver membership worked out to under $30 a game. If you can't see the value in that there’s something wrong. Watching NBL tv doesn’t come close to being at a live game.

Reply #674534 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Personally, the Cats kept their prices fixed during a couple of tough years for me, and now I'm happy to wear the increase.
But I have great Silver seats.

Be interesting to compare prices with similar seats for other teams in similar venues.

Reply #674535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The cost of being part of the Rort Army

Reply #674539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Train true come to think of it $30 isn't the point. It's all the bogan plebs that seem to be attracted to Cats games that you have to sit with. No thanks.

I remember back in the day the Cats crowd had normal people, now it's full of ferals.

Reply #674540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KR trying to prove everything again.

Reply #674541 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Figured out to use a proper browser, KR? Although, as a web dev, stuffing something up that doesn't work in Firefox is pretty hard to do...

Reply #674547 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I wonder how long Perth can keep breaking attendance records?

Especially if they lose to Adelaide. Knight has gone- one of the favourite sons. A substantial price increase on what were already expensive memberships.

Good on them, hopefully they keep drawing the numbers. But it can't continue forever.

Reply #674550 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Interesting. Way above CPI and wage price growth over the last 4 years in WA (4%-5% between December 2014 and December 2017). Suggests other factors are driving the increase. Higher team salaries? Less sponsorship revenue with WA economy having slowed so much over the last few years?

It'll be interesting to see how large the membership increases will be for other clubs.

Reply #674554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The cost of doing business in WA remains expensive, despite the downturn impacting wages a lot.

But the boom is back!

Reply #674556 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Interesting. Way above CPI and wage price growth over the last 4 years in WA (4%-5% between December 2014 and December 2017). Suggests other factors are driving the increase.

If I had to guess, I'd say the reason for the change is "because we can"
It seemed like more games than not, the Cats had to open up the very top section of seats due to high demand. The crowds were amazing this season and getting close to maxxed-out, so I think it would have been bad business not to increase the prices.

Reply #674558 | Report this post

Perth Fan  
Years ago

I'd love to see a comparison of Perth's pricing structured compared to other clubs.

Actually a comparison of all clubs general admission prices would be very interesting.

Reply #674566 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

@Perthfan - In addition to that, It would be interesting to see what the gap between members and non members prices are. The price per game gap between members and non members is ridiculous.

I would be paying double to buy my seat as a non member. It makes sense I guess to encourage fans to purchase a memberships, but I would think twice about paying $60-70 per game for where i sit.

Reply #674568 | Report this post

Perth Fan  
Years ago

$150 per game for a captains club seat!

It kinda hurts/sucks for long time members (i'm talking 20+ years) who get no loyalty discounts, yet if you sign up for a membership with one game left you get members price for renewal.

Makes sense for new members, but i can see why some long time members get upset over it.

At the end of the day, the only way the price increases stop is if people refuse to renew.

I can't see that happening this season.

Reply #674585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WookiE so you're a web developer? Can you create a sick NBL page kthx.

Reply #674603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WookieE *

Reply #674604 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

correct me if i'm wrong but there are 14 games a season, so

Captains Club
Renewing member: $1,149 = $82 per game
New member: $1,599 = $114 per game

bummed to see the price rise, but after 3 years of no rise it was inevitable. although a smaller increment would have been better!!

Reply #674609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think its a pretty cheap and disgusting move by the cats here. To automatically renew and charge members for next season without even telling anyone that they have increased the prices by up to 15%. The email advising that I would be renewed and charged for next season made no mention of anything, I had to click on a link to the membership page to see the price (also didn't mention the increased prices). Nothing justifying it either.

I remember last year getting an email about how our membership prices were frozen from increases.

Reply #674619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" I had to click on a link to the membership page to see the price"

So you worked it out then?

Was auto-renew a problem last year, or only this year when the price went up?

Reply #674621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The auto-renew isn't the problem. it works fine. But to auto renew someone without telling them the price has increased is very sneaky.

They should say in the email that there have been changes in the price and direct you to those changes.

Not a lot to ask.

Reply #674622 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Gotta love all the haters using this as yet another excuse to attack the Cats.
If you're not a fan, and/or don't go to Cats' games, what do you care??

For those of us that are fans, yes its tough if you're struggling to raise a family, etc, and/or suffering from the employment downturn. That's why for many years I only made it to a couple of games a year.
You can still support the team without attending games, and NBL TV is better than all the years when we had nothing but an occasional game on Foxtel.

As for "loyalty"? I get to keep the same seats I've always had, and at a substantial discount to new signings. What else do you expect?
Try going to a concert of any other event at PA, and see how much those same seats cost

Reply #674634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"But to auto renew someone without telling them the price has increased is very sneaky."

From the email...

..." please refer to the Renewal Guide online at membership.wildcats.com.au. All renewing prices and payment dates are included in this guide."

All the information you requested was provided in the email.

Reply #674636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"employment downturn"

The Wildcats seem to be oblivious to the economic downturn. They are in lala land. They'll soon find out, though.

Reply #674651 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"They'll soon find out, though."

Here come the doomsday preachers again. Been hearing that for about 4 years now.

It's not like there aren't budget seats available, Level 4 has been open every game this season and offers adult tickets for $20, Bronze is $50 for an adult. The memberships make it even cheaper. IMO, even after the increase, a membership is insane value.

Reply #674669 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Is the money the real cost though?

To quote TISM:

"It takes a great person to get an idea
But don't go public, it'll ruin the plan
'Cause no matter how intelligent or clever you are
You're only as good as your fans...
As a Mistral employee once told me
You're only as good as your fans"

Or

“Each... (Wildcat fan) kills the thing he loves
The fisherman caught in his own net.
It's frightening that you deserve
The audience that you get”

Reply #674670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sucker born every minute.

Reply #674671 | Report this post

NannasAlwaysRight  
Years ago

I think its a case of; you get what you pay for.
Look at the big picture. To enjoy success costs more than $20 a game. Its comes in at around $50 for an adult to go and be entertained.
I think any tipping point is, either when a new team from the West comes in (if that ever happens) or if success doesn't eventuate. The other side of the flip is, can you afford football, soccer, afl and every other item you currently enjoy?

Reply #674724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're getting $20 performances for $50 this season.

Reply #674753 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:07 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754