Small fish
Years ago

3 Umpires - Premier League 2018

It seems the District clubs have now voted to have three Referees on each Premier League match (Men & Woman) this year.

Is this good progress towards equality or does this make it harder for consistent umpiring with more Referees required?

Constructive Thoughts?

Topic #42786 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

It helps refs development and more consistency with calls i would think

Reply #674570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

half the current refs aren't up to it. Adding more will just make the standard drop.

Reply #674571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again it comes down to if the new ones are up to it. Good experience though, worst thing about refs going up in a class is they feel they have to make calls which an experienced ref will let go. But to become experienced you need games under the belt, the main issue for me is that they get proper guidance and feedback and take it on board.

Reply #674575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dilution of an already shallow pool [to mix metaphors] and the crazy focus on mechanics at the expense of accurate calling with three refs should be raising big red warning flags here.

And I'm surprised to read that the clubs did vote for this.

Hope I'm wrong, but I'm expecting problems, particularly in the absence of strong education and active guidance/correction of all refs, not just the 'newbies'.

Reply #674580 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

How much bigger are we making the courts?
I can only assume a fair bit bigger if we need a third umpire, otherwise they will be tripping over each other.
Will only lead to more confusing calls.

Reply #674583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coaches are really concerned. The general consensus is that it's going to be a horrid year with a new travelling rule, new unsportsmanlike rule and a lot of refs umpiring who are just not up to it. Plus refs doubling up from women’s to men’s.

Reply #674584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The pressure it puts on the referees at the lower levels is immense. As experienced refs are pushed up due the 50% increase in refs, the lower levels are left with young, inexperienced rookies with little support.

One solution that some pea-brain decided upon is to have refs double up and do the men's game after a women's game. As a coach I hate seeing a ref double up. After we have prepared all week for the game, I'd like to think that the refs have thought and talked a little about the game beforehand rather than quickly running from a critique to another game a few minutes later of vastly different skill, physicality and intensity. There are very few with sufficient experience to do this effectively. I think it is lazy and a very poor practice.

Reply #674586 | Report this post

Small fish  
Years ago

I think the above anon is correct in terms of pressure at lower levels because they will bring up new Refs then they will think they are it & a bit and no longer ref juniors etc.
I want to be positive and say that 3 person umpiring will be a good thing because it will make it easier for younger refs to develop however I am not sure that its going to work they way some might want it to

I wonder if the change has happened because of a new CEO?

Reply #674589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But its ok for the young kid on a Friday night to referee 4 straight div 1s

I'd suggest the states best, most experienced and fittest referees should be able to handle doubling up if the Friday night guys and girls are expected to do 4 straight.

Reply #674590 | Report this post

rip curl  
Years ago

No I would say it's not ok
That’s an entirely bigger problem

Reply #674593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Three from two refs has led to more inaccurate calls. Look at NBL. Less is more in this case.

Reply #674594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and this decision just makes things on Fridays worse. The more unqualified referees that get pushed up the less that make themselves available. The less quality and numbers for the rest of the grades.

Reply #674596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doing junior games back to back is a lot different getting up and back in premier league. Maybe they can have a refs bench and have subs.

Reply #674784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refereeing back to back games is not an issue based on the physical part of it. We all see plenty of refs that cruise through four games a night, but is this the model you want at a semi-pro level?

It is adjusting to the differences between the games that is the concern of coaches. Referees (like most people) perform better when they know the teams involved and the level of competition and have familiarity with players, styles and physicality. If they come from a women's game, they will be reacting to the men's game and not be producing their best performance.

This happens with our NBL TV announcers too as they bounce from game to game and give generic comments without really drilling into the matchup. In the US, each team has a pair of announcers and the national guys focus heavily for a few days on a single game.

Reply #674802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no refs cruise through 4 games in one night. That's almost 5 hours straight without break. And going from u12s to u18s is a bigger adjustment to make than going from Womens to Mens.

Remembering that it would be the Senior SA refs being asked to double up not the rookies. If NBL/WNBL/SEABL referees can't manage this then why do we expect kids to on a Friday.

Reply #674823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was talking one of the men's coaches and his comment was he has his assistant coaches whistling terrible calls at training trying to get his guys used to what he expects this season.

Reply #674910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then this coach is a moron

Reply #674912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How else do you work on emotional control after bad calls? I don't mind the idea if it’s every now and then to test guys out emotionally.

Reply #674932 | Report this post

!  
Years ago

no different than new players and coaches starting - the refs have to start somewhere

Reply #675087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Premier League by it's own title should be more than a place to start. It should be elite, places earned, a level of competition only the best in SA achieve.
Having 50 referees at this level, at least 30 of whom aren't capable is irresponsible to the players and every club who strive to succeed at this level and another example of why the Clubs have lost all faith in BSA to run competitions.

Reply #675092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So let's just run 2 man on both comps, only use 20 referees and have absolutely ZERO development of referees in SA. Then when those referees are burnt out you can appoint 20 rookies with no experience! Brilliant, as always SA thinking about the future just like their steadfast policy of only 10 elite clubs.

Reply #675096 | Report this post

Interesting  
Years ago

The last poster is exaggerating
it's more like this:

3 person for Men’s games are fine
2 person for woman is ok

30 Referees with the best performing allocated matches each week
The next 20 Referees develop in Yourh league, premier league reserves, division 1 & 2 District juniors?

The point is by having three on woman’s would mean more are needed each week & as it is,most of them are youth league or division 2 refs, at best

BSA employ mike Gibson to develop Referees
If he does his job in the grass roots through to District juniors & seniors then many will be placing up there hands for a deserved spot in the Elite senior comp

That’s my best effort at a sensible comment on this topic

Reply #675098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Premier League Reserves, Youth League, Senior Divisions 1 - 5, Junior Nationals, Junior Division 1.... there's plenty of levels to develop referees to a required standard before doing Premier League. There needs to be a progression but using PL as a Referee Development League is ridiculous.

Reply #675100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

M Gibson = fail

Reply #675107 | Report this post

The Rooster  
Years ago

Some lambs to the slaughter given the significant differential between to the top and rookies - that's not development

Reply #675580 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:11 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754