Curtley
Years ago

Gaze back next season, Perry Ellis signs in Italy

Kings have stated Gaze will stay and be fired if and when they don't make playoffs.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/gaze-remains-kings-coach-but-now-it-s-finals-or-bust-20180227-p4z1ye.html

With Perry Ellis signing in Italy's Serie A it appears he won't be back despite it still being a logistical possibility.

Topic #42787 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

do u people think we should have a two way contact to keep star players like Perry Ellis ? that he signs one contact with two teams one in Europe one Nbl 6 months in Australia 6 months in europe

Reply #674612 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

Serie A finished before the NBL restarts.

Ellis will be back next season if he does not make the NBA from all reports.

Reply #674613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The real question though is will WookieE be back? The guy is hardcore Kings through and through but this may be the final straw.

Reply #674614 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

The manner and frequency that Wookiee complains points to a gender other than male.

Reply #674615 | Report this post

+  
Years ago

was great watching Ellis at Kansas and its great to see him here.

Reply #674616 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

@ anon - already jumped ship to the Taipans mid-season lol...

@ Lovebroker - not sure what YOUR name is supposed to mean, is that a pimp or something? And if complaining was a measure of gender, you're saying that there isn't a single male on this forum? How big is your bra? Oh, and have you met kettle?

With the timings of how seasons are run between here and Europe, there's no need for any contractual reasoning behind a two-way deal like the NBA and G-League, the benefit of which is having affiliate teams that allow for the smooth transition of players between both when NBA teams need them...

As most top NBL players have shown, they can pick up some games at the end of the NBL season to supplement their potentially more modest NBL salaries if needs be...

Reply #674620 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Just imagine if they had simply just let Vickerman be the coach last year, let him pick his team and kept him this season and going forward....

(Look where Vickermans team is now)

hired gaze as a 'coaching director' to get the PR move if thats so important (not sure I would have bothered)

If only.....

Reply #674637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FIBA has over 200 member countries. The G League is owned by the NBA. Slight difference.

The story here is that Kings must make the playoffs if the coach and GM want to keep their jobs. That's a big call by the owners before they even have a team signed.

"However, I have made it clear to the managing director [Jeff Van Groningen] and head coach heading into the 2018-19 season that anything other than reaching the play-offs will not be acceptable."

Reply #674638 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Dead Man Walking?

It would seem that anything other than a stupendous start to the season makes Gaze a marked man, and thereby ineffectual as coach?

Furthermore, whether it's "cause & effect" I don't know, but such conditional endorsements are usually seen as a precursor to sacking. ie Many people, including players, will read that simply as "Gaze will coach next season whilst we look for his replacement."

Reply #674641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The manner and frequency that Wookiee complains points to a gender other than male."

HAHAHAHAAHHAHAAHAHA.

and WookieE you must love pain by choosing the Taipans.

Reply #674643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also Gaze survives to the final year of his lucrative three year deal.

Some say it was $400K/season so Gaze is laughing. He has made it. Lucky.

Dollar bills, yo.

Reply #674644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ellis will only come back if he is the main import. He liked it early when he was the man, once randle came in he was unhappy

Reply #674681 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Then all he needs to do is get somebody to stir up Randle's missus. A pie & sauce later, he'll be the main man again.

Reply #674684 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

NBL to confirm its moving back to a 8 team finals series for 2019

Reply #674747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great motivation. I'm sure he's been stinking it up till his last year then deciding it's time to make playoffs. Stupid

Reply #674785 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"NBL to confirm its moving back to a 8 team finals series for 2019"

Still wouldn't count out Gaze missing the playoffs.

Reply #674787 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

It still doesn't feel that long ago that Sydney were top of the ladder and Powell was annoying everyone with his change room antics and singing.

I don't think Sydney are that far off the pace, I think they just need Copeland to um actually do something, in two years in the sideline it sounds like all he has done was put Gaze's dislocated finger back in place!

As for having Taipans as your second team, I know your pain, they can be so fun and exciting to watch and then brutally harsh on the eyes too... much like Joe Blake's antics

Reply #674792 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

It's the pussy cop out of them knowing they can't sack the G.O.A.T so they're acting tough like if he doesn't do his job he was supposed to do his first two seasons (they said the same thing about the playoffs in Year 1, if most recall) but all they'll need to do is NOT re-sign him... simples...

hired gaze as a 'coaching director' to get the PR move if thats so important (not sure I would have bothered)

I've said that from early on... TBH Gaze's hiring sort of helped revitalise the interest in the team as far as the media and the older, very casual fan, which is great, but it was always a trade off, which I didn't think was worth it over a more experienced coach, as there's only one thing Sydney "fans" like more than flash and that's winning...

Hiring him as the general manager or some other more high profile role that they could have put him in front of the camera all the time and it would have been just as effective and significantly minimised the "rookie coach" risk...

Reply #674807 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

There wasn't much that could be done in terms of saving money. Him resigning was the only avenue if the clause was in the contract. He telegraphed early on that it wasn't going to happen.

The slim hope was that money isn't a concern in the slightest if they were to go with someone else but obviously it was with what they have spent on everything else.

The ultimatum is moot really. Contracts were all structured to expire by end of season 3 anyways.If things go south in 18/19, that's when drastic changes can be expected.

Reply #674812 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

Gaze has achieved great things. We are now 2nd last, instead of last. It can only be better from here.

Reply #675146 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:52 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754