Anonymous
Years ago

Essendon, Hawthorn NBL teams "If and its a big if"

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/02/25/two-afl-clubs-leading-way-to-own-nbl-team/

Essendon was talked up pretty big over the last few weeks for a new NBL team.

According to the above article it's an "If and it's a big if".

Now I'm really confused. That quote sounds like it's unlikely.

Topic #42799 | Report this topic

Reality  
Years ago

They also talk big about an Esports teams...they haven;t relaised they'll be paying the Esports players bigger contracts than the AFL players!

Reply #674847 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Essendon has an Esports team.
https://oce.lolesports.com/oce-opl/opl-2018-split-1/teams/bombers-413

Reply #674860 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

There's a lots of barriers to climb over and hoops to jump through in order to enter the NBL.

Each proposal should be taken on merit.

Reply #674862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More importantly it talks about the Hawks fragile financial position. What's the new owner proposing to help with that?

Reply #674867 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Only issue is. What about all the supporters of the other 9 melbourne AFL teams. Surely they wont follow a new team in am AFL teams colours...

Reply #674875 | Report this post

!  
Years ago

just think about what is going on here

Reply #674887 | Report this post

Hopscotch 35  
Years ago

No AFL club is coming out and saying they're investigating NBL teams, it's coming from either LK or reporters. A Melbourne based AFL team got very close about 4 years ago, but shelved the idea, and then canned it altogehter. Would be genuinely surprised if it happened anytime in next few years.

Reply #674916 | Report this post

Bob Sels  
Years ago

It's just LK huffing and puffing.

Let's see, we've had the following so far re: "new teams":

1.) 2nd NZ team (Kiwis said not paying for a licence)/TAS team (in the works but this has never directly involved LK)
2.) Gold Coast team with Chinese players
3.) AFL teams

What have I missed out?

and what will he come up with next?

Reply #674928 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

As the saying goes, there's no such thing as bad publicity,

Getting the NBL is the news is a positive, even if most of these never come off.

Reply #674952 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

We had Big Joe come out and say that he wanted an NBL team playing out of NT as well but now he works for 36ers so I'm sure that is dead to rights.

Forgetting the whole AFL affiliations things, I think Essendon would like Bogut to come over as joint owner or something like that and when Essendon gets bored which we know they will then Bogut will have to rely on his name and his charm and hopefully brand awareness to get new owners in... I prefer that idea over Hawthorn but then again Gleeson could return to them ?

Reply #674961 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

We had Big Joe come out and say that he wanted an NBL team playing out of NT as well but now he works for 36ers so I'm sure that is dead to rights.

Forgetting the whole AFL affiliations things, I think Essendon would like Bogut to come over as joint owner or something like that and when Essendon gets bored which we know they will then Bogut will have to rely on his name and his charm and hopefully brand awareness to get new owners in... I prefer that idea over Hawthorn but then again Gleeson could return to them ?

Reply #674962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, did someone say Bogut and charm?

Reply #674981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here's a radical idea....what if the top, or lets say two top 2 teams from SEABL get promoted to the NBL for the following year. Would need propping up a bit financially from the NBL obviously, but there is your 10 team competition, provides a bit of variety for fans, and gives SEABL teams something to strive for. Also would be cheaper I would imagine than starting a permanent new franchise from scratch. A lot more thought needs to go in to it obviously but just throwing it out there......
Thoughts?

Reply #674988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too much talent disparity. They would get slaughtered. Where would they play and how many fans would they have? How would they suddenly boost their income? I don't seem practical to me at all.

Reply #674989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So, Mt Gambier win SEABL and play NBL out of the Icehouse? Do they get new players or do the SEABL players quit their jobs to get pounded for a season? Do they play NBL a couple weeks after they win? How could it possibly work?

Reply #674998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"A lot more thought needs to go into it..."

Happy to be proven wrong, but there is no chance this idea could possibly work. Waste of time thinking about it.

Reply #674999 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Lets be real about the NBL for a second.

They just had a team go under (Townsville) and have a couple of other not turning a buck.

NZ has new ownership which could be good or bad time will tell.

Outside of crazy rumors there isn't many options for expansion on the table that are realistic.

More pressing issues should be Brisbane/Sydney and getting them competitive and viable particularly Brisbane as they have some major finance and engagement issues before we even get to the poor on court product.

Reply #675010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ AFL teams coming in is not a crazy rumour. Plenty being done to make this a reality.

Reply #675017 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

I would be surprised if the AFL teams aren't looking into it. It's pretty clear the AFL wants to dominate the sporting market as much as possible in Australia so expansion into basketball after having made moves already into netball wouldn't be out of the question.

Reply #675018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah and when they get bored of it they'll leave us hanging the can for it. Not a good idea.

Reply #675022 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Or if/when they can't profit from it, they'll pull the pin. I agree I'd be treading carefully - don't think the AFL teams would be going into a venture like this for the good of basketball.

Reply #675029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Essendon should get Hird to coach, he is great.

Reply #675066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah the AFL Clubs can't afford $5mill for a few years to experiment with the NBL. Bullshit.

Reply #675079 | Report this post

Tribe  
Years ago

More i think about it, the more i'd prefer to see the NBL continue with the same 8 teams next year. No expansion.

There's enough going on with Illawarra, Brisbane and Sydney and ensuring they are sustainable.

Reply #675109 | Report this post

hopscotch 35  
Years ago

Anon '017, what clubs specifically are doing plenty to make this a reality?

Essendon - club has a a "how good/cool would this be if it panned out?!" without any actual commitment from the Dons

Hawthorn – "We'll never say never" is just lip service because they’re being nice. They are hunting for funding for a huge home stadium in Dingley and need cold hard cash to fund...which aint an NBL team

Reply #675183 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:04 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754