Anonymous
Years ago

Potential Big Bash TV rights impact on the NBL?

Theres been a lot of talk lately about how 9 and Fox are going to try and poach the Big Bash from 10. This would probably rule out 7 (Tennis, AFLW, AFLX?) and 9 (International Cricket Test/ODI/T20 and Big Bash) from being able to broadcast NBL during the summer.

It would however it does leave a pretty big hole for Channel 10 and its major summer sports. Could this open the door for the NBL to potentially be broadcast on FTA with channel 10? I think I have heard before though the two didn't have the best relationship in the past.

Right now though channel 10 (or 11 or One) probably does seem like the leagues best chance to try get on mainstream free to air TV in the near future.

Topic #42809 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some of the reports I've seen/heard on this have said how Fox "badly want in on the Big bash deal because they have no major Australian summer sports apart from the A-League"

*cough* NBL *cough*

Reply #675170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After the way the NBL was treated last time it was on ten I would rather channel 44 picked it up, even if that only exists in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth.

Reply #675175 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The community channels are being moved to online only in a few months time.

Reply #675179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's been a few years though. I haven't really kept up with all of Channel 10's issues, but aren't they under some sort of new management or something? Plus with LK running things and the league on the rise, it could be time to sort some sort of free to air deal out. Would be huge for the league.

Reply #675182 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I don't think NBL TV ratings justify main FTA channel exposure or any significant $$$ for the rights yet.

Reply #675186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think they'd be after a big $ deal just yet, but just a small short term deal that atleast gets them on mainstream FTA to boost their ratings and exposure. Pretty sure the big bash had a huge increase in ratings after going from Fox to Channel 10.

Reply #675187 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Channel 10? No thanks. Any sport that isnt AFL or NRL takes a massive risk by going to Ten. Cant ever trust them again.

Reply #675199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get the 30 million that Mal gave Rupie and we have both the NBL and wnbl on the abc or sbs, win win.

Reply #675202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL now pay for all the coverage of their own League. They have NO FTA coverage at all. The FOX stuff is paid by the NBL.

Reply #675211 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They have NO FTA coverage at all.
Except for the three games a week that are on FTA, you mean?

Reply #675212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More free to air coverage than we had under the channel 10 deal

Reply #675218 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

My 2 cents worth. Sorry it's long.

Channel 10 were bought out by a big US network. They talked up access to the US network’s reality tv and drama productions. Sport was hardly mentioned.

But if 10 lose BBL, they have nothing for summer sport. In the bad old days they also had no major sports. I think that’s why they tried NBL. Channel 10 were always the poor cousin. Channel 7 were also well behind the Packer behemoth that was channel 9. But channel 7 worked with the VFL/AFL and the rise of the AFL empire helped push 7 up in ratings and share value. Channel 10 got left behind. They had V8s (I don’t know if they still do and don’t care either) but V8s will probably lose interest now you can’t buy or dream of buying an "Aussie" Falcodore.

Channel 10 tried to compete in news by getting a clear run in an earlier time slot, and even poached George Donician (sp?) from sbs, but I’m not sure it ever really worked for ratings/ad revenue. Would they want to poach the NBL from sbs? I think the sbs timeslots should work for getting kids and families interested (not much competition and after kids play their weekend sport) but kids and families now are so entwined in Netflix and live streaming that a lot of them don’t even bother with fta tv.

New media (social media, Netflix/streaming) will/has change/d the landscape for how we consume entertainment. Therefore entertainment producers (including sports) need to think ahead of current trends. People used to watch sport as a family on the lounge before sitting down for a meal at the family dinner table. Now kids are in their rooms on social media and a lot of them eat there away from family too. In the UK, only about 30% of households even have a family dining table. Will Aus follow this trend? Therefore the NBL really need to market the product to kids/teens and their parents in different ways. Selling a sports product and growing it will get harder, not easier. I think the NBL app, Fox and fta mix is LK’s way of trying to do a difficult job. It’s probably best to have this diversified strategy, but how will they know which parts of this strategy are working?

Reply #675234 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Channel 10 might be better than sbs for "fluff pieces" promoting teams and league doing school visits etc.

ABC journos/reporters can't cover events like school fetes or events without major code of conduct/ conflict of interest related paperwork and approval. The problem is they have to be seen to not be biased. Commercial networks seem to be able to plug sponsors’ and advertisers’ businesses with no such scrutiny. So channel 10 could plug a school clinic, but public broadcasters (both abc and sbs) would find it much more difficult.

Source: abc reporter/ newsreader

Reply #675236 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

I loved coming home to the late night Friday game replay on ABC this year. Paid the $5 for NBL TV. FTA coverage was good this year.

Reply #675237 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:43 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754