Benno
Years ago

Should NBL go back to 48 mins?

WIth "Next Stars" coming into effect next season and rosters increasing to 12 contracted players, plus development players. Would it be a smart idea to increase from 40 minutes to 48?

Topic #42822 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think so.

Barely enough minutes for a rotation of eight players he way the league is trending.

Are rosters really shifting to 12 + devs? Going to be plenty of players getting splinters.

Reply #675582 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

If NBL ever wants to be on FTA again permanently and long term, I think they need to stay to the 2 hour broadcast package they currently have.

Reply #675588 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I think they should if they are serious about looking more NBA and becoming more of a breeding ground for young up and coming talent.

This isn't about records actually being viable to be broken.

This should be about delivering more value for money for those that attend games and some games (wildcats) just seem to be so quick and with the price of games increasing and it likely that we won't get new teams, it seems fair that we get 48 minute games.

Also with the NBL.tv it makes sense that they do this also.

I understand that LKG wants to make his $ back and to do that he needs a FTA tv deal and this trumps all other things I've mentioned above

Reply #675598 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

40 minutes has always been shit.

Reply #675606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even in state leagues when it went to 40 minute games and there were scores in the 50's that's terrible should never have changed. It was done for the lazy refs

Reply #675608 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

I actually don't mind 40 minutes, I find the action is usually a bit more intense. I often find myself getting bored with blow out nba games that tend to drag on for longer.

If the nbl are introducing more teams and more games in a season, then maybe we will see more player rotation with the increased workload of games. That might even out the increase in roster numbers a bit

Reply #675613 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I prefer 48 min but doubt it will change

Reply #675615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes! Go to 48!!

Reply #675617 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I got the impression of 48 mins being a help to 36ers this season...

Reply #675622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

40mins is awful. What a shocking change.

Reply #675668 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Keep it FIBA, where the medals are.

Reply #675727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've always been a purest and hated the change to 40, but taking into account the obvious advantages for TV coverage and that fact every other Sport is looking at shorter versions I now think the 40 minute game should stay.

Reply #675733 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What's purist about 48-minute games?

Reply #675735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

purist = lets blindly copy the NBA

Reply #675736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because NBL was always 48 before.

Reply #675738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The term purist is usually associated to the historic norm. That amongst other things includes 48 minutes.

Reply #675739 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

NBL games weren't always 48 minutes.

Reply #675742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They were during the golden era. We were raised on it.

Reply #675745 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

But they weren't always, and haven't been ever in almost every other basketball league in the world.

Reply #675749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So? 48mins is what we are used to.

Reply #675751 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That has nothing to do with it being purist.

And really, everyone ought to be used to 40 minutes by now. There's a large number of NBL fans who have never known anything else.

I always found the 'but people won't have 40-50 point games as much anymore' argument pretty silly. There's nothing magic about 40 or 50, it's the rarity that makes it special.

Reply #675756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't get it.

Reply #675760 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

48 minutes was better.

Reply #675761 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The big rise in crowds since the switch from 48 minutes proves that 40-minute games are far superior ;-).

Reply #675772 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

The stadiums being smaller was probably a factor not to discount in comparing those figures.

Reply #675774 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

The 90's saw a boom in popularity and stadiums started getting bigger. They were playing 48 minute games then.

Reply #675775 | Report this post

NannasAlwaysRight  
Years ago

I preferred 12min quarters but the NBL wanted everything FIBA orientated if memory serves me correct.
So we got stuck with 10min quarters and alas, stay with what works. When things change, it screws everyone up somehow. Players play longer, memberships go higher. ticket prices reflect that

Reply #675925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, they changed because of TV broadcasters, I believe Ten/One at the time, complained that games weren't fitting into a two hour window.

Reply #675928 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It was the year before the Ten deal.

Reply #676030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ah yes it was to get Ten on board.

Reply #676049 | Report this post

Rabbit41  
Years ago

40 minutes is much better than 48. NBA clearly has that wrong. The 40 minute game allows for much better TV broadcasts, much more watchable games, and is much friendlier for the sponsors and broadcasters also, as it nicely fits in that 2 hour broadcast window, and the ends of games are not constantly stopped for commercials.

NBA game can be really hard to watch at the 48 minutes, with all the stops for TV timeouts.

Reply #676056 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The number of timeouts has nothing to do with 40 vs 48 minutes.

Reply #676060 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Go 44

Reply #676328 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:23 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754