Anonymous
Years ago

Dictating the pace of play

Why were Perth trying to play at a furious pace?

Perth are BUILT as a defense first, half court grinding team. They are built to win games in the low 80s, high 70s.

The game should NEVER have been played at such a tempo that would allow the 36ers to score 107 points.

The game was lost in there tactics.

Why do a full court press time after time opening up the court and speeding up the game?

This game was lost between the ears by the Wildcats.

Topic #42824 | Report this topic

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I'll transfer my thoughts about the likely Melb v Adelaide GF from the Game 1 thread...

I've been saying it all year and I won't change my tune... Adelaide isn't as impressive as they look. They just dominate matchups.

In my opinion, the only team with an offence well balanced enough -- and frugal enough -- to slow Adelaide is Melbourne. United has an offence so balanced that they can't really be taken out of what they want to do. They'll score on you from almost any angle, so if they want to slow Adelaide they'll gear their offence to do so.

Once it gets to half-court, it's Adelaide on the ropes. All they get in the half-court is Johnson post-ups, basket cuts and offensive rebounds. Melbourne is super adept at covering cuts and cleaning the defensive glass, and their defence is underpinned by loading (from what I've seen when I've actually paid attention) so there will be help for Johnson's man.

Plus, Melbourne did a good job of hawking the NZ defensive rebounders to slow the outlet pass. In saying that, obviously Adelaide have the likes of Creek, Sobey, Childress who can rebound and run the break.

Shaping up as a fun grand final series. But one that should be played at a slower pace.

Perth is just playing lazy

Reply #675644 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Why were Perth trying to play at a furious pace?

Perth are BUILT as a defense first, half court grinding team. They are built to win games in the low 80s, high 70s.

Nope. I don't agree with that at all.

Reply #675646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So LUUC Perth are built to get into a game of run and gun?

They dont have no where near the offensive firepower as the Melbourne and Adelaide

Reply #675651 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Perth are 12-2 when they score 85 or better and 4-11 when they don't.

Reply #675660 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

So they can't score then.

Reply #675669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another howler by Gleeson, playing perfectly into the Sixers' hands. The guy is lost in terms of game plan.

Reply #675676 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

So LUUC Perth are built to get into a game of run and gun?

They dont have no where near the offensive firepower as the Melbourne and Adelaide

Of course we don't, but of the offense we do have, our strength is definitely not in the half court. When we're able to run we can look pretty good at least in patches. I find our half court stuff pretty painful to watch at times. So often the shot clock hits 10 without anything remotely constructive having been done.

Reply #675678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with both sides of the argument, to be honest.

i.e. that Perth trying to play with pace may lead into Adelaide's strength and that Perth still needs a bit of pace to help their own offense.

It is a very fine line to tread. But given the match-up, I think Perth should slow the game down. They just can't do anything about Adelaide once the game gets fast. Sure, Perth might not be pretty in the half-court either, but they've got a better chance turning it into an ugly half-court slog, rather than a track meet.

Your thoughts?

Reply #675710 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Perth's two wins over Adelaide they've scored 88 and 111, so they can certainly beat the 36ers in a quicker game.

However they were both in Perth, I don't think they can do that in Adelaide, so if they get to G3 I think they're going to need a different approach.

Reply #675713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was natural for the Cats' coaching staff to study the tapes of the regular season games and come to the conclusion that they were 2-2 and had a positive point differential playing a relatively quick game. But we have to remember Creek only played a minute or so in the first game, and in the second, Adelaide looked on top until the Wildcats had a dominant third quarter.

Was that third quarter something the Wildcats could repeat? How much of that was due to the Sixers executing poorly? The Cats gave it a shot, and it failed miserably. I think it's definitely time for a change in approach, or this thing will be over in two.

The Sixers are a horror match-up for Perth. Think Perth match-up better with Melbourne for sure.

Reply #675722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not expecting a change though. Gleeson is fairly stubborn in his ways. He'll just be preaching that the Wildcats need to "do it better". I'm not sure that will be enough against this Sixers outfit.

Reply #675723 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'd agree with that and going by what Gleeson was saying in the press conference after the game about lack of desire I'm not sure too much tactically will be changed.

Reply #675726 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It was one of Joey's first preseason training sessions
when he first started here in Adelaide.
Gibson stood still for a few seconds. dribbling .. looking around..
" Don't stop. " Joey yelled .
" Look " he said to the group. " Some of you are stressed out going at this pace , but doing it everyday , you'll get used to it. "

Reply #675728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where's the punchline?

Reply #675730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the wildcats last night were the punchline

Reply #675731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ zing

Reply #675781 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I've been saying it all year and I won't change my tune... Adelaide isn't as impressive as they look. They just dominate matchups.
Is that all of it though? They have excellent team chemistry from the looks of things. They play well to their strengths. And have a deep line-up that suits versatile, athletic players swarming at both ends.

They can obviously fall in a hole like any team, but I think they do more than just win individual match-ups. Whether it's enough to win a GF series is another matter.

If they get through Perth, Melbourne will present more of a challenge, as you said.

Reply #675839 | Report this post

The Wildcats just need to play 'Wildcats basketball'. In every game they've lost this season, and for the past 10 years it's been because they haven't played 'Wildcats basketball'. Just need to go back to playing 'Wildcats basketball', it's the only way.

Reply #675844 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"Is that all of it though?"

To me, the biggest differences in this Adelaide team to those of the last 10 years or so, are defence and confidence.

As a long time 36ers follower, I've been amazed at their defensive intensity and the fact that they never drop their heads. Some folks look at the high scores and don't realise just how good they've been defensively, as a team. Childress, Sobey and Creek are at the core of that.

That said, I agree that Melbourne have the best chance of beating the Sixers in these finals. Those two teams have the two best player groups left and both coaches have their players 100% on board. They both play attractive basketball, so a final series featuring them would be a treat for NBL fans.

Reply #675845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bwahaha nicely said Chairman, and remember to win you must win!

Reply #675869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd like to see Adelaide get tested against a team with discipline that could force them into a half-court game. Melbourne might be that team.

Reply #675894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The Wildcats just need to play 'Wildcats basketball'. In every game they've lost this season, and for the past 10 years it's been because they haven't played 'Wildcats basketball'. Just need to go back to playing 'Wildcats basketball', it's the only way."

Hahahahaha lol! (felt weird to type this rather than use the laughing emoji)

Reply #675896 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:23 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754