Isaac
Years ago

SF1v4 Game 2: Breakers vs United, March 5

Will the Breakers recover and make a series of it, or will United go 2-0 and sit waiting for their GF opponent to emerge?

Breakers are $1.65 favourites which strikes me as a touch short? Line is -2.5.

In the first game, Ili was one shining light while Newbill got to 19 points. Abercrombie managed only 5, Vukona fouled out with a single rebound and 4 turnovers, and Loe was 0/6 FG.

United got the first win without strong games from Goulding or Boone, and with Ware getting all the attention. Breakers will need more from their ranks and to suppress the Melbourne weapons this time - how do you like their chances?

Topic #42831 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think NZB are in the same boat as Perth an aging core winding down. Penney's done, Vukona's just about done and Abercrombie & Pledger both seem to be winding down a bit early too.

It's an interesting time for the Breakers with the transition to new ownership and looking to their future with Ili, Delany and Ngatai. Perhaps they'll be able to lure T. Webster & Fotu back from Europe.

Melbourne won game 1 convincingly with quiet games from everyone except Casper Ware and I can't see NZB being as fortunate this time.

I hope they win I'd like to see nothing more than Melb extended and roughed up heading into the GF but I think Melb have too many weapons for them to counter.

Reply #675861 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I know Abercrombie has been great over the years, but I still classify his career as an underachieving one. Never worked on the handle and never bulked up to impose his will on defenders

Reply #675885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@NBL
34m34 minutes ago
More
TFW you find out #NBL18Finals Game 2 between the @NZBreakers & @MelbUnitedHQ will be broadcast live on @SBSVICELAND today at 5:30pm AEDT

Reply #675887 | Report this post

Tribe  
Years ago

NZ to win at home i reckon

Reply #675904 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

We need Melbourne to help us out They have to be a little off their game.
Limit Casper to 20, Penny or Abercrombie???? to match that and Sosa or Newbill make some big plays down the stretch.
Otherwise Melbourne will close it out comfortably.

Reply #675919 | Report this post

NannasAlwaysRight  
Years ago

I reckon United will win the championship but Vukona, Ili and Newbill play well, it goes to game 3.
NZ at home are hard to stop but beatable.

Reply #675922 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Hoping NZ can get it done and at least give MU something to think about for game 3.
Both semis ending in sweeps would be bit of a downer.
Also hoping for Penney to have a good one in likely his last home game. What a legend this guy has been.

Reply #675939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No score ticker? Hopeless!

Reply #675940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see there is a Jamaican dog playing for Melbourne.

Reply #675942 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

16-4 start by New Zealand is handy.

Reply #675943 | Report this post

Spot Up  
Years ago

Nice 'defence' Tom, but the Oscars are all finished..

Reply #675946 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

God Majok is pathetic

Reply #675948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Second quarter and score graphic displaying 'Q1'?

Reply #675949 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Prather too focused on scoring. Even with that nice spin move, he drew two defenders and got one off his feet and tried for the shot instead of hitting a wide open Majok next to the basket.

Reply #675950 | Report this post

Spot Up  
Years ago

Always amusing when the commentators say that Goulding forces shots and they sound surprised. Never watched him play before?

Also commentators whinging about the calls is pathetically amateurish.

Reply #675952 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

United is completely shook.

No longer moving man and ball. They ain't winning the championship at this rate

Reply #675953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This game is a mess

Reply #675954 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Scoring has dried up. Momentum shifting to Melbourne. Need Penney in the game?? right now.

Reply #675957 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Melbourne too good, don't think NZ can recover.

Reply #675958 | Report this post

Duncan  
Years ago

My only question is where is Casey Frank???? Good game but the mute button could get some use soon

Reply #675959 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

What is Rob Loe doing. Two dumb fouls (the 1st Q one on Goulding too where he couldve been called 3 times) and he's lucky he hasn't been ejected already.

Reply #675960 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Wow... Ugggggllllllleeeeee game so far... If it ends up being Melb vs Adel GF, it will be concerning IF 36ers maintain their high scoring ability against a seriously challenged United offence. Lucky they have a great scrapped in Boone to keep them in touch.

Seems like some fans didn't realise that GM1 was much closer than final margin and NZ let the game slip away like they have so many games this season. As a result, even with a good NZ lead, I still don't have confidence in them to play the way they need to for long enough to close out games....

Reply #675962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers staff watching this game quietly contemplating which part of the office the trophy would look best in

Reply #675963 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

*scrapper....

Reply #675965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep. Ware is as dirty and cocky as Goulding. Going for an Oscar best supporting flopper to favourite Goulding.

Reply #675967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ should have made more of their 2st half superiority. They blew it.

Reply #675969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*1st half

Reply #675970 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Abercrombie completely MIA

Reply #675971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good game!!

Reply #675972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers hit 7 3 pointers that qtr?

Reply #675973 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Majok is just... omg. What is going on upstairs with that guy?

They call him 'Majok Majok' in case he forgets the first time

Reply #675974 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Penney aint going to die wondering.

Reply #675976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OT!

Reply #675977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Christmas is killing NZ in OT

Reply #675979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clean the bloody floor

Reply #675980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sosa absoutely the wrong person lead gat last play and get Christmas off. And again with Sosa. Put Ili on, he deserves the time to show what he's got.

Reply #675982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next year Melbourne will be back to 3 imports.

Reply #675983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow these commentators

Reply #675986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOLding

Reply #675987 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Up by 3
Team loses ball on O
Brainless foul

Go cg43

Reply #675988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't forget the CG43 heroball shot earlier when Melbs offence was going well

Reply #675989 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Yeah but fouling out was a contribution towards game quality

Reply #675990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Take a bow, Boone

Reply #675991 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Yeah.

Won game for his team throughout the game.

Then won game in dying fraction of final second with final put back under pressure.

Reply #675992 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Wow. Boone was huge tonight, on a night where a number of guys on both teams were MIA.

Reply #675993 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

So much irrational hate for Goulding in here. Wares hero ball shot late in the 4th was terrible, not a peep. Goulding takes a real charge from Sosa and no call, not a peep.

Even the homer NZ commentators were able to say he played good D today.

Boone was huge today, he won that game.

Reply #675995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One of the best games of the year

Boone owned Christmas

Reply #675997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne back to playing like before Prather went down, to much one out and starters only. Adelaide should start favourite if the get job done against Perth, commentary was woefull not certain if they were at the game, lol.

Reply #676003 | Report this post

Tribe  
Years ago

Wow what a game

Reply #676004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes very enjoyable game.

Reply #676005 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Well Boone and Casper certainly justified their 1st team selections in this series

Was impressed with Goulding's game too. All around game including plenty of quality assists, defensive efforts as well as a few trademark carpark threes.

Could've gone either way so you do feel for NZ a bit. Would've been a bit of romance seeing Penney in a game 3.

Still, United's D got them there, locking down NZ down the stretch of Q4 after it looked like NZ were well placed for victory at one point.

Ultimately that's what I felt of NZ all season- not quite enough classy weapons. Solid team, well drilled, but They didn't quite have the elite talent to get through United's great D.

Adelaide though will present a different- and dare I say it, slightly more formidable- challenge

Reply #676006 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Christmas -26 in an OT game. Meanwhile, Boone runs rampant for Melbourne. Hard to overcome that difference.

Very entertaining game though!

Reply #676008 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Boone destroyed Christmas tonight.

Reply #676009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game of the year. Boone for Prime Minister

Reply #676010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PLEASE NBL, do not schedule both game 1 and game 3 on Friday nights when the majority have VJBL commitments. Please...

Reply #676013 | Report this post

Three to make two  
Years ago

Boone was huge. But did he travel on that last possession? Only saw it once at game speed but it looked like he had a few steps/hops in gathering the ball before the shot?

Reply #676015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boone fumbled the ball, he never had possession until his jump stop

Reply #676016 | Report this post

mike  
Years ago

wow - refs are terrible - Goulding and Ware look for a foul every play - offence and defence - was at the game - not sure how much was seen on camera but Goulding and Ware must have been on the floor 30 tims between them - poor Henare - took a technical and the game ends up a tie, but I can see why, as everybody in the stadium was predicting the flop before it happened and refs gave a foul every time - Boone was great - rest of Mel not So - Amercrobie had a terrible shooting night - thought breakers were far the better team - there are hardly any post up moves in NBL - players who cannot defend just hit the floor - leagUe is full of 3 pointer shooters and people giving screens, and guards who can get to the basket (or flop well ha ha - I think any big man import struggles - like netball or disney on ice compared to the NBA. I think PER VS MEL would have been physical and MEL vs ADL will b a high scoring shootout. Rant over - feel agreeved nearly every week with the refs.

Reply #676017 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

LV - 36ers a "slightly more formidable" challenge (assuming they make the GF)? I would suggest increasing the strength of the adjective used to describe how formidable the challenge will be ;P

Reply #676018 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Is it possible for a team to 'limp to the championship'?

If so, that's United.

Reply #676020 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Hate this result. Melbourne give us fits should we make the gf. They seem to have our number most of the time.

Reply #676021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mike go back and watch that last play of regulation for a perfect example of the home cooking that NZ received. Melbourne were in foul trouble at least the last two quarters and overtime, while NZ had one foul. Makes things difficult, especially with you claiming that Melbourne had the refs in their pocket. And what was with the cheap shot the NZ scorers threw poor Chris, having three fouls on the scoreboard and he was actually on four? Poor form.

Perth-Adelaide will go to Game 3 and that will be tight. Expect them to hit back at home on Friday. Should be good.

Reply #676024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Hate this result. Melbourne give us fits should we make the gf. They seem to have our number most of the time. "

Wrong thread bruh. This is Melbourne-New Zealand.

Reply #676025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather did not come off the entire 4th Q plus overtime.
No reason for him to not be starting over Moller.

Reply #676028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbournes offence is not as functional with Goulding,Ware and Prather together, Prather got weary and Penny hit what could have been the winning three, his defence was ok, Moller was very good early when Melbourne kept turning the ball over but coach seems to stick with his stars.

Reply #676034 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Ultimately that's what I felt of NZ all season- not quite enough classy weapons. Solid team, well drilled, but They didn't quite have the elite talent to get through United's great D."

Big difference was Abercrombie stopped hitting shots after a very good start to the year. He shot 41% from 3pt in wins and 23% in losses. In the six-game losing streak to end the year he was 3/21 and 8/48 in last 12 games!

They couldn't survive losing his input. Without him spreading the floor their offence was very different, especially in fourth quarters where he has been big for them in recent years.

With Penney injured for much of the run home they just didn't have the wing power they did early in the year.

Given that, signing Christmas was probably the biggest thing that held them back, in hindsight they needed a more versatile player.

Reply #676041 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

That Breakers start to the Game reminded me of that Fremantle Dockers 'purple wall' prelim game against the Sydney Swans in 2013.

Amazing D. As good a period of intense D as you've seen from Perth at any point in the last decade

Reply #676045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last night's game showed me how much I am going to miss Kirk Penney. Amazing talent, amazing player. The league lost a great one. Thanks for the memories Kirk.

Reply #676046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul

You are exactly right

Reply #676050 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Boone and his last basket.

He just imposed his will on the game and forced that sucker into the hoop. I thought it was a good microcosm of his whole game last night... and all his good games.

He doesn't have length or reliable foul shooting.

He does have strength, power, hops and a determined persistence to finish off near the basket. Boone is a colossus in the paint. Is there any other centre/ pf with this combo in the same quantity?

If ADL win, they could try Childress on him for crafty D. Childress could strip the ball a few times and lower his confidence levels. When Childress tires, bring on Hodgson for close guarding with hard fouls, not his usual stupid fouls. Wear him down. Johnson too soft except on rare occasions.

Reply #676055 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That Newbill foul seemed smart at the time, but if he didn't commit it I'm not sure Melbourne would've got a particularly good look off.

Reply #676061 | Report this post

Tribe  
Years ago

I was surprised that people thought it was a good foul. 2.7 seconds to go, Ware's only option was to attempt a 3 pointer under immense pressure.

Reply #676069 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Regarding the Newbill foul, you have got to play the %'s and make that play. Granted it didn't work out for NZ ultimately but fouling Ware in that instance was the right thing to do. Great call by the MU players on that last inbound play too. It looked like they called it themselves without going to Vickerman. Great leadership by Vickerman to let them do that too. Overall, a fantastic game by both teams and a tremendous advert for the league.

Reply #676079 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Yeah good point Paul. Abercrombie certainly started well and then faded this year. Newbill turned out a lot better than I expected based on his modest resume, but with Penney slowing down and Abercrombie horribly out of form by year end, this made up for it.

I thought they needed more mobility from their bigs and this was evident in different ways in each game- Game 1 being exposed on the pick and rolls and also Casper taking them to the hoop. And Game 2 where they kept losing Boone on his cuts around the hoop.

Maybe if Delaney was fit they would've had more options. Also surprised they kept Christmas and sat Pledger so long yesterday.

Ultimately it's about playing well at this time of year. I'm glad we got a tight series as predicted.

Reply #676082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You wouldn't know it being in Melbourne. At the sports bar at Crown I had to ask them to put TVs on it despite no other live events being on. Then once on no one ever even looked at the screens. Melbourne make a GF but no Melburnians care frankly.

Reply #676083 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yes , great game , enjoyed it ..
(other than abercrombie disappointment .. didn't look like scoring....)

Reply #676084 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Melbourne now get a very decent break going into the GF series. If the other semi series goes to 3 games it stretches out even longer.

Reply #676088 | Report this post

Tribe  
Years ago

Anon, its not a Melbourne thing. The NBL doesn't get much exposure, period.
In fairness, the win last night got a good run on the Herald Sun and a few other news outlets.

A couple colleagues at work who don't know anything about basketball have come up to me saying, 'i heard Melbourne won last night'

But yes, even if Melbourne win, they won't be plastered on the front pages. Probably only Cairns and Perth could do that.

Reply #676091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I understand that Tribe.

But actually being in Melbourne and in a sports bar area it shocked me at how it is such a non-factor.

Don't get me wrong in Perth it's not a big deal either but people would look up at the screen and say "oh Wildcats are playing in a semi" but in Melbourne people weren't even doing that or what was on the screen didn't even register to them! It doesn't help "Melbourne United" is an ambigious name with no history either.

Reply #676102 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I still hate the fact that Melbourne United sounds like the local soccer team.

Reply #676109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly. If you say the name to people they will think "is that a soccer team?"

I understand why they chose United - to gather all the ex Tigers/Magic/Giants/Titans etc. fans together under a generic name but the problem is it is a common soccer club denonym.

Reply #676110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United members received a text message with presale ticket details. Game 1: Friday 16th. Game 3: Friday 23rd. I have six front row endline tickets with the United bench directly in front of me that I have had for a few seasons which I will not be able to use due to VJBL commitments.

Reply #676137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Melbourne now get a very decent break going into the GF series. If the other semi series goes to 3 games it stretches out even longer."

Dates are set regardless of what happens in the other series, whoever it is playing. Tickets on sale at 4pm AEST

Reply #676138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pro sport doesn't take a back seat to juniors. What world do you live in?

Reply #676155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happened with the Sosa technical foul in the first half. I was at the game and it looked like a very soft call. Would have liked to have seen the reply. Was it?

Reply #676168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Link to short video clip of last few seconds of game winner? Thanks.

Reply #676178 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Penny! Class act......

Reply #676183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Pro sport doesn't take a back seat to juniors. What world do you live in?"

So why are games not scheduled at 4am? Because no one would go. Without the fans there is no pro sport, dumbass.

Reply #676193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct pro sport revolves around the fans' sleeping patterns NOT junior sport. Your point?

Reply #676198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#193 4am is a great time for live sport! What a brilliant marketing ploy, IDIOT.

Reply #676203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man the Adelaide comprehension is running rampant in this thread. Wow.

Reply #676243 | Report this post

DaAnswer  
Years ago

Awesome game, done and dusted, but am still disappointed this didn't go to a game 3! Credit 2 individual performances that killed the Breakers, really did sum up their season - started so well (both games), only to fall flat at the final siren. Really think the Breakers 'forgot how to win', no killer instinct - last 5-6 games they were up and 4th quarters killed them.

End of regulation Sosa trying to be the hero, had Loe open on Ware and on the rebound a wide open Penny who had been on fire! Were they better going for the Ili drive? Goulding charge or flop?

Thought Christmas did some nice things, but was a liability in OT and Boone's final putback... on replay I thought he did travel - but impossible for refs to call that!

Now to decide who to support for finals!!

Reply #676358 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:08 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754