Isaac
Years ago

Crows, 36ers in talks to form double-team

Two of South Australia's biggest sporting clubs, footy’s Adelaide Crows and basketball’s Adelaide 36ers, are in talks about joining forces.
Read the article

Summarising: commercial partnership that'd involve the Crows owning a stake. Ongoing, positive talks, but nothing signed. NBL aware. No one willing to comment. Plan would be for marketing/membership cross-promos and shared resources.

(Mod: Someone posted this earlier but I accidentally deleted it from my phone - the delete button is right next to the edit button...)

Topic #42851 | Report this topic

Reality  
Years ago

Makes complete sense. Give Crows a year round package to sell and can save costs behind the scenes as no need to double up on marketing/membership teams etc.

The synergies make complete sense and i'm surprised the Eagles and Lions haven't thought about this in those states respectively.

Reply #676456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"i'm surprised the Eagles...haven't thought about this"

Probably because the Wildcats don't need it.

Reply #676459 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The asking price from the Wildcats would put it out of reach.

Reply #676461 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

There was a loose relationship before, but no formal ownership. Those benefits included gym access etc, but with the new Adelaide Oval those benefits may have gone.

With the summer/winter season split, it would give sponsors more exposure.

Reply #676464 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Whispers are that it is more serious than just chat and what Isaac has said.

Reply #676474 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Due to the timing of the seasons it makes sense for front office staff like memberships, marketing & social media people.
On the other hand in a 2-team town (I know it's not 50/50 but still ...) does it risk alienating a lot of people?

Reply #676476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a port power member, my Sixers membership will not be renewed if this happens. Screw the Crows

Reply #676478 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I noticed this is on the front page of adelaide advertiser
seems pretty good..

Reply #676482 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

What the port fan said is likely to happen on a larger scale w victorian clubs.

Reply #676483 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Port fans not going anymore.....

Sounds like a great idea then;)

Reply #676486 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Of the eight teams , I loved Port and my first idol was fos williams....later , we went into the afl and that was exciting stuff....i used to go to tgames and training....
I don't follow afl all that much these days... my main interest is 36ers...

Reply #676488 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

The Port/crows hatred would happen with the wildcats if the eagles took a stake, Dockers fans would be annoyed.

Reply #676489 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

This is not just a whisper, this is very much gaining momentum. Makes sense and i believe will be successful. The Sixers wont change much, just a backing and alliance. Port fans saying they will throw their membership in is childish. As a Crows supporter if Port stepped up and wanted to allign with my Sixers i would be stoked, who cares! Long term viability, new members coming on board etc is what important.

Great timing in their Premiership year (jussayin)

Reply #676491 | Report this post

Power Supporter  
Years ago

Imagine being that juvenile and small minded that you would stop supporting the 6ers if the Crows got involved. Should Erin Phillips quit the Crows cause she loves Port?

Grow up, if you're sad and want to take your bat and ball home poss off, 6ers don’t need you!

Reply #676494 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Definitely small minded.
I'm an Essendon fan who would have no problem with Collingwood or Hawthorn having a team in NBL.

Reply #676499 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Statement (non-statement really) from the 36ers:

In response to the article in today's Advertiser, the Adelaide Basketball Club wishes to clarify, on behalf of its members, sponsors and supporters, that we explore multiple options, on an ongoing basis, to develop and improve both our on and off-court programmes.

Our sole objective is to ensure the long term success of the club for the benefit of both the South Australian basketball and the broader community.

Communication is a key priority and as such we will always endeavour to keep all of our stakeholders informed of any new initiatives as and when they arise.

Reply #676500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would the 36ers consider, red, yellow and teal as their new colours?

Reply #676512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Great timing in their Premiership year (jussayin)"

Didn't Richmond win the premiership over Adelaide in the AFL? What is Richmond's nickname? The Tigers. What did United used to be named? (justsayin)

Reply #676517 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Strikes me as very distracting timing given they're playing in Perth tomorrow.

I'm guessing it's a bit more than mere teaming up or a minority stake too?

Reply #676519 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

I think it is definitely something. I see it working.

The crows boys are very good supporters of the sixers with eddie, sauce and tex at heaps of home games every season.

i was being cheeky when mentioning premiership and really meant championship and was reffering to my sixers.

Reply #676534 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'm obviously a Victorian, but I would've thought gosh, they'd want an impeccable and iron clad business case for doing this, that would pretty much guarantee the long term sustainability of the 36ers program before putting pen to paper on anything like that.

Because the Crows and Power hate each other, right? So in theory, this could hinder the 36ers prospects for future growth, surely? With a substantial percentage of South Australians affiliating themselves with the Power- many of them would be less likely to support a basketball club that had strong connections with the Crows. I would've thought?

I'm just Imagining myself, and sports I'm only a casual fan of- sports I occasionally attend but could be potentially persuaded to attend more frequently. BBL Cricket and NRL being 2 (I attended one match of each last year...).

I can honestly tell you, being a big St Kilda fan, if any of the NRL or BBL clubs started a strong partnership with say Collingwood, I would be less likely to develop more interest.

Reply #676552 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

As a Kings/Swans fan, if the Kings teamed up with GWS I'd have much less interest, especially if Kings branding changed. I couldn't care less if it was an NRL club but their supporters are parochial too.

If the NBL is smart they'd have some sort of agreement that shared resources and knowledge but not marketing/colours/name etc, however i'm guessing that's half the reason AFL/NRL clubs are interested.

Reply #676557 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"As a port power member, my Sixers membership will not be renewed if this happens. Screw the Crows"

Don't you love the Sixers more than you hate the Crows?

Reply #676572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Richmond Tigers AFL team should buy into the 36ers.
Hopefully that will deter both Crows and Port fans from attending, then it would be a much more enjoyable game day experience!

Reply #676576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I think Richmond Tigers AFL team should buy into the 36ers."

No way, then they may actually win the big one rather than fizzle at the business end of the season.

Reply #676593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wish I could make a ninth in an 8 team league joke but that's no longer valid

Reply #676599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I wish I could make a ninth in an 8 team league joke but that's no longer valid"

Nope.. New tradition is finishing clear on top and then not getting the job done at the business end of the season. South Australia leading the way on that one, first the Sixers followed suit by their 'partners' the Crows. But hey, live off the minor premiers title a year longer, because it sounds so cool.

Reply #676606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide - Tigers!

Reply #676607 | Report this post

Callisto28  
Years ago

"Due to the timing of the seasons it makes sense for front office staff like memberships, marketing & social media people."

Not really, unless you mean NBL front office.. The off season for AFL is busier than in season. Clubs spend all Oct-Nov on member retention, Feb to March on getting new members and general planning for the year. Pre season starts in Nov, so all workers are pretty much at capacity by Jan (even more if like the Crows, you also have all of the previous jobs to do for an AFLW team over summer).

Reply #676611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strikers crashed out a couple times after finishing top as well, then won it after finishing 2nd hopefully that's the pattern

Reply #676612 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

If the crows took over do you think we would get a membership shirt which was our teams colour?

Reply #676635 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Totally off topic but would anyone want Sydney Swans to have a deal like this with Illawarra, I mean same colours and it's not that far away?

If this happens would, could or should there be a Power consortium wanting into the NBL with their own team? I mean Port didn't feel very welcome after they replaced Fitzroy so maybe they try that again and then underachieve thereafter

Reply #676637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks + Swans = Yes. Only problem is GWS has been given the lower half of NSW, anywhere South of Sydney to recruit players. Not sure if that would present an issue.

Reply #676690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

St george Illawarra Dragons would be a winner, nrl and nbl.

Reply #676699 | Report this post

Power fans having a sook if the Crows buy a stake, or even just reach a business agreement is a bit pretty. As a Crows fan I wouldn't care if the Power were the team in question. In fact a couple of seasons ago when Randle had that knee injury leading in to the finals he was down at the Power HQ to use the anti-gravity machine for rehab. That was awesome, making use of facilities that the 36ers don't have and couldn't afford to have.
Power fans arking up now is a bit rich too since the Crows and 36ers have had varying commercial relationships off and on for the past 20 years. Did you throw in your memberships back then or did you not even fucking notice?
I'm a big 36ers fan, any other entity who can have a positive impact on the way the 36ers organisation is run is welcome.

Reply #676706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide Fanzzzzz

Reply #676707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Crows are definitely the weaker partner in this arrangement, they are mentally soft which could very easily rub off on the 36ers. This is the last thing they need at the moment.

Reply #677124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely people don't "hate" footy teams enough such that they'd stop supporting their basketball team just because it became a formal partner of the footy team.

So much hate out there. And even if this does happen... don't the Crows have a lot more fans than the Power?

Reply #677153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hugh Greenwood to play for both teams in the alignment?

Reply #677248 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

He could warm up playing footy in the arvo and play bball at night.

Mike Parsons used to do this with North Adelaide Roosters and West Adelaide Bearcats.

He may have looked a little bit tired some games though.

Reply #677254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Crows are definitely the weaker partner in this arrangement, they are mentally soft which could very easily rub off on the 36ers. This is the last thing they need at the moment.
Yet another poor troll.

Reply #677256 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I was listening to the radio this a.m. about it ..
Seems there is a third party , a sponsor... pretty keen on it .

Reply #677420 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:10 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754