Isaac
Years ago

Steve Francis: I got a story to tell

I was just destroying people. But still, it was community college. My dream at that point — and this is going to sound funny to some people — but my dream was to be on a real college campus with my backpack on, walking to class. I would picture myself at Georgetown or Maryland, just on campus, chilling, walking to class. It was that simple. That was what I dreamed about.

A year later, I had Gary Williams and John Thompson calling about me. Oklahoma and Clemson were coming hard after me, too, but I'd grown up watching Len Bias and Patrick Ewing. For me, it was either Maryland or Georgetown, period.

And it was almost Georgetown. But I’ll never forget the conversation I had with John Thompson. He said, "Steve, we like you. We do. But I just had Allen Iverson. I can’t have you right after Allen. I just can’t have it, Steve. I’ll have a heart attack."
I had some dark days, no question. And I know people were asking, “What the hell happened to Steve Francis?” But the hardest part was reading some bullshit on the Internet saying that I was on crack. When I thought about my grandmother reading that, or my kids reading that ... that broke my heart. Listen, I sold crack when I was growing up. I’ll own up to that. But never in my life did I ever do crack.

What happened to Steve Francis? I was drinking heavily, is what happened. And that can be just as bad. In the span of a few years I lost basketball, I lost my whole identity, and I lost my stepfather, who committed suicide.

I just let go, man.

I just let go.
Whole thing is a great read: Full article

Topic #42856 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

And as a bonus:

Reply #676647 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

This guy made more than $100 million in his career and he's breaking into people's cars.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/12/12/steve-francis-turns-himself-in-for-florida-car-burglary-for-second-time/

Reply #676653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still think Houston should have kept him and Mobley rather than getting McGrady, just my opinion but it seemed the chemistry was better.

Reply #676654 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

thanks very much for finding this

Reply #676657 | Report this post

Tribe  
Years ago

Nah, no way it was just alcohol

Reply #676666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steve Francis was a near 24/7 alcoholic. He went to practice and arrived at games reaking of it.

Reply #676718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh you were there?

Reply #676871 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Good link to a great thought provoking read Isaac.

I read this article yesterday morning and was amazed @ his story pre NBA.

To go from being a "phone boy" using the phone box as a hoop to practice whilst @ “work”, to being the #2 pick in NBA draft within 4 years with only a season of Community College and a season of College 'ball @ Maryland, I personally found to be amazing.

Whilst it's a pity that he flamed out so hard and so soon, it’s good he recognises that he was a “punk” and didn’t listen to advice back then. Hopefully the man only goes up in life from here.
He shook off being a product of his upbringing and surroundings before, and made the NBA, who knows what he could do in the future.

I mean shit, just the fact that Marion Barry now has a statue erected of him, shows that DC obviously forgives mistakes and loves their own.

Reply #677121 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Steve Francis in trouble again.

Francis, 41, was arrested around 11:40 PM after police were called for a disturbance between two men at a hotel in Burbank.

Law enforcement sources tell us when cops arrived, Francis was intoxicated. He was arrested for being drunk in public.

Francis was transported to jail ... before being given a citation and released around 7 AM Monday morning.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/03/19/former-nba-all-star-steve-francis-cited-for-public-intoxication/

Reply #679212 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I loved Steve Francis and whilst he praises Yao, it's a shame that Hakeem couldn't instill more of his values on him.

I really hope it works out for him in the future.

Reply #682256 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I loved Steve Francis and whilst he praises Yao, it's a shame that Hakeem couldn't instill more of his values on him.

I really hope it works out for him in the future.

Reply #682257 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:05 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754