Anonymous
Years ago

End of an era

2010-2017 each GF series had either Perth or NZ appear in it, and only those two won during that time.

But it's over now. Let us rejoice for a new era.

Topic #42859 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

Literally end of an era I would think. Painfully obvious that both sides need to shake up their local player core.

Reply #676989 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

As key players, Abercrombie and Wagstaff were mediocre for both teams. Plus, with the exceptions of Cotton and Newbill, they sure could recruit better in the imports department.

Reply #676993 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Fans of any other teams would be happy with 4 titles in 8 years.

Reply #676994 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Smart fans would want continued success for their club

Reply #676996 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Perth are capable of rebuilding quickly. Will extend playoff streak yet again.

Reply #676998 | Report this post

NannasAlwaysRight  
Years ago

You cant win them every time. But you can try.
Tokoto just wasn't in his own league like Cotton. Good player, solid but those imports help win games.

Reply #677000 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Perth's issues are with the local players IMO, not the imports. We may have had some pretty handy imports come through, but having that core of Martin, Redhage & Knight, and Wagstaff off the bench, gave us a really solid cake to put some icing on top of.
Most other seasons an import combo of one star, one quality starter, and one role player would have gone ok because the reliance wouldn't have fallen so much onto them. Our aussie strength and depth has eroded away in recent years. That will happen when you've got such stability.

Reply #677003 | Report this post

Perth fan  
Years ago

Changing of the guard. It is poetic. Melbourne and Adelaide had to go through the NZ and Perth.

Couldn't script it any better.

Reply #677008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide please do not leave your brooms in Perth Arena. If things go to plan you will be needing them again this month.

Reply #677009 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Disappointing it ended this way, I would have preferred to see one of the other teams beat either Perth or NZ in the grand final.

Reply #677019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you wanted a grand final that didn't have the 2 best teams? I don't get it but ok I often don't get you

Reply #677021 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If we're extending the hypothetical as far as Perth or NZ making the grand final, I see no reason we can't extend it further and have one of them be a top-two team.

I still would've preferred NZ to get over Melbourne regardless, though.

Reply #677025 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I absolutely did not want to see either of Perth or New Zealand in the Grand Final series so I am happy as hell it ended this way. I have huge respect for those clubs but I can't watch the same script play out again and again and enjoy it.

Adelaide have got the heart in this. I think they're going to win the series in 4 and finish it off in Adelaide.

Reply #677026 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Of Pfft, how many of these threads do we need?

Perth failed to win their 4th title in 5 seasons, and suddenly the sky is falling in.

It would have been awesome to pull out another "come from behind" championship, but at the end of the day I'd have to admit that this is better for the league.

Interesting times ahead, to see how they go about regrouping, but reality in NBL is that they could easily bounce back with the right recruits.

Reply #677028 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I absolutely did not want to see either of Perth or New Zealand in the Grand Final series so I am happy as hell it ended this way. I have huge respect for those clubs but I can't watch the same script play out again and again and enjoy it.

Adelaide have got the heart in this. I think they're going to win the series in 4 and finish it off in Adelaide.
Having another team best one of the two most dominant clubs the league has seen, in the grand final, at the top of their game, would've been a fantastic way to move out of the Perth/NZ era.

Having them both fizzle and get swept in the semis is just a bit of an anticlimax.

Reply #677029 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Dazz, not everything is about Perth.

Reply #677030 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

When Adelaide or Melbourne have more than a GF appearance under their belt and have some silverware in the cupboard we can start talking about era's ending.
NZ and Perth very well may be back in the winners circle next season with some savvy recruitment so because both teams were soundly beaten in their semi's I don't think there will be any panic in Perth or Auckland.

Reply #677035 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Mystro

So, by your own proviso, we can already start talking about the end of an era.

You placed 2 conditions on this, and by definition 1 of them must happen. No team other than Adelaide or Melbourne can get the silverwear this year.

Maybe the end of an era has arrived, but the beginning of a new era could be decided in the next 3-5 games. Or maybe other teams step up next season and we get 2 new grand finalists.

Reply #677038 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Yes one of those teams is going to win a title this season and rightfully so.
Perth & NZ have dominated for a decade.

When they have multiple championships in consecutive seasons we can talk about dynasty's & era's.

Reply #677039 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

Perth just needs to upgrade on Cooke and get another outside shooter.

Reply #677046 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No idea why they went with Steindl.

Reply #677048 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Mystro, Adelaide won titles in 98, 99 and 02

Reply #677050 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

You forgot one. 86 was the first as the 36ers. They also won one when they were the Bearcats before the transition to 36ers.

Reply #677058 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

They had plenty of opportunity to replace Cooke.

Reply #677060 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I didn't forget it, I was replying to Mystro's comment of winning consecutive titles, 3 in 5 years is pretty good

Reply #677064 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Ah. I see. Well hopefully they can add another to the total list in a few weeks. Then work on 3 in 5 years after that!

Reply #677068 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

3 in a row is much better

Reply #677072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, my dick is bigger!!!

Reply #677078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some would argue Mystro that a decade is actually ten years, hence not a decade of domination by NZ and Perth but 8 years.

Reply #677084 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Bit of rebuilding required for sure, but I can see the Cats getting back up there. Cant win every year but you can certainly remain a contender. Wouldnt necessarily call it the end of an era but definately some changes needed to refresh this team.

Adelaide and Melbourne should be very good for a few years to come but I would expect Perth and NZ to not go away so easily. Particularly Perth. They'll bounce back.

Reply #677089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is hopefully the loss the Wildcats had to have... As annoying as it is missing on a three-peat.

The way we played through this season and going out like this will surely see the Cats recruit a lot better for next season, bringing in some fresh local talent and choosing the right imports. The roster needs an overhaul, and winning the title again would not have seen that.

Would love to think this might prompt a change in coach with Nielsen stepping up, but this seems unlikely unfortunately.

I'm sure the Cats will be back better than ever next season.

Reply #677100 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Perth going forward will need to go over their whole list. Recent recruiting stategies in signing Walker and Steindl just because they are available didn't
work, they need to target specific players with the skillset they want. Both Steindl and Walker were too inconsistent at previous club before Perth signed them. Walker was the same when Sixers signed him. Looked great at training, was good in pre season and started season like a star before going back to habits. Hire had a very ordinary season apart from a 3/4 court buzzer beater. Wagstaff has relied heavily on Redhage and is not a 1st pick player. As much as I even hate to think it they even need to go as far as looking at Damo. His offensive output is a massive liability which was very evident this season and as he gets older his defence won't be able to keep up with younger stars. His role on the team may now need to be greatly reduced.

Reply #677101 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Martin would be effective off the bench.
His leadership if Perth do go with youth next season would be invaluable

Reply #677102 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Unfair to be critical of the Walker move IMO. He's a guy who was out of the league, and for half the season had turned into a legit starting-calibre player.
Regressed in the 2nd half of the season, but is still a decent depth guy IMO.

Reply #677104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The unique thing about the NBL is how quickly a team can rebuild. With no draft, small rosters and so many players in the league on short term deals you can roll out almost a completely new roster each season. Will be an exciting time for both teams this offseason.

Love the Wildcats core and the stability that has brought so much success, but it will be exciting for fans to have a lot of new faces next season while still keeping a few key guys.

While it may the end of an era for NZ and Perth's cores, I don't think it'll be the end of the era of them being playoff/title contenders. I expect both teams to put together good rosters and contend next season instead of spending a year or two down the bottom of the ladder.

Reply #677111 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Everyone knows Walker is a great trainer and he benefitted initially from most teams showing little respect to him (and also having not scouted Tokoto). I suspect Walker's downturn has synergy to Tokoto's lack of range being revealled.

Walker also needs lots of court time but this can be detrimental to team performance if too much is expected of him. He struggles to get a feel for the game off the bench.

I think the quality of the league has left him behind and teams won't be so complacent next season.

Trade him to Cairns with Cooke Jr for Gliddon or the Hawks for Kay and Ellis :-)

Reply #677112 | Report this post

Cat's 4 life  
Years ago

Didn't put a team together to go for a three peat to be honest, played well in patches through the season.

Knight retiring was pivotal and didn't recover from that. Overall made the finals and probably a good thing for the league having other teams in the gf.

Reply #677128 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

@luuc
Hindsight is great as Perth could have signed someone else. Walker was exactly the same here at Sixers. Signed in preseason after starring at training. Worked himself into starting 5 at the beginning of season and then became a shadow of himself the longer he was at Adelaide. History repeating at Perth.

Reply #677136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's good for the league to have some new teams in the GF, if nothing more than the perception that the league is "stale". Hopefully Melbourne and Adelaide put on a good show and Melbourne win.

Reply #677148 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Some weird recruiting for sure.
Walker was a good pickup, if you were looking for a bench player or 11th man. Cracking the starting 5 was a bonus, but also concerning that there was nobody there to keep him out. Problem is that they have too many players who are "great off the bench"

It's almost as if they didn't plan for Knight's injury or retirement? Cooke was just woeful, and Having Steindl as their go-to replacement just didn't work. Again, he's another guy that would be a handy pickup as your 11th player.

But still the reality is that with a couple of good replacements, they could easily be back on top.

Reply #677156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was lazy recruiting.

No real GM in charge anymore and it shows.

Reply #677163 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

It had to happen eventually.

Perth were lucky last year in that they managed to avoid their two biggest threats for the title (Adelaide and Melbourne). Thus it looked like they dominated the playoffs, but it was more about matchups than anything.

Well done to Perth and NZ for the past 8 years, but with Knight and Penney now gone, and Wagstaff, Martin, Vukona, Abercrombie, Pledger all on the wrong side of 30, it's time to regroup.

Still- 2 quality programs both strong financial backing. There's no reason why they can't both make a couple of tweaks and end up back playing for the championship next season.

Reply #677324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Regardless of what way Perth go they need to get one top Australian Player this offseason.

Cotton and Tokoto were fine as imports the problem was they got Cooke Jr based on having Knight and then when he retired Steindl was the only decent Australian available.

Would go for this
Martin/Kenny
Gliddon/Steindl
Import SF (that can score - Damo and Gliddon aren't that aggressive)/Walker/Hire
Import PF (Perry Ellis type with defense/Wagstaff
Brandt/Import C - (Charles Jackson/Egwu type player)

Or

Martin/Kenny
Import G (Prob can't afford Cotton but flat out scorer)/Steindl
Import SF/Walker/Hire
Import PF/Wagstaff
Daniel Johnson/Brandt

Reply #677327 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Please no more Greg Hire.

Reply #677331 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

I think Wildcats will be going for Devondrick, Cotton, Prather, Martin, Wagstaff, Stiendle, Kenny, Brandt, Daniel Johnson, Gliddon, then players like Bragg and Lochlan Cummings as fringe/development players.

Reply #677334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would Prather go back to Perth though? Didn't he have a falling out over there.

Reply #677336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Perth were lucky last year in that they managed to avoid their two biggest threats for the title (Adelaide and Melbourne)."

Melbourne? LOL! They were no threat at all. Cats swept them in the reg season.

Reply #677345 | Report this post

Original JR  
Years ago

The wildcats weren't the team of seasons past this year due to their Australian players. If you compare to Adelaide who have Sobey, Creek, DJ and a host of other very good locals the wildcats Aussies don’t cut it. If you compare to Melbourne with Goulding, etc and some experienced Aussie internationals off the bench, again the Wildcat unit doesn’t cut it.
Think of it this way- take the imports out of the Adelaide and Melbourne teams then play then against the Perth Aussie content. The result would be embarrassing to Perth. They would even get smashed by the Breakers locals. Wildcats have relied
on imported talent too much this season.
Going forward, keep Cotton, Martin, Brandt and the recruit the best Aussie content possible after which, and only after which compliment them with imports. A complete rebuild is needed if this team make it back to the Championship round next year. Good targets would be Jervis, McCarron, Ellis, Isaac Humphries, Cadee, literally any Aussie
playing for the 36ers and a few others.
Hire, Wagstaff, Kenny are past their used by dates. I would consider Walker a possibility as a bench player. I would keep Steindl, I think there is a spot for him. Then get themselves some guys returning from the NCAA such as Pinder to build for the future.
No tweaking of this lineup, a complete rebuild is required.

Reply #677741 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Perth don't seem to have the naturalized Americans floating around like they used to either.

Reply #677747 | Report this post

Original JR  
Years ago

Udog, what you say is true. Many of their championships, in fact all except one was built upon naturalised imports making their Aussie contingent extremely tough and then complimenting that with excellent imported talent.
The Wildcats should look at Lee Roberts who is a naturalised player currently playing in Italy and who will return to play state league to be close to family and friends. He is a can't miss prospect who will give them an excellent talent at the 3/4 spot.

Reply #677755 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

You sure Lee Roberts is already naturalised? I thought he hasn't fulfilled the length of stay requirement?

Reply #677766 | Report this post

Original JR  
Years ago

I think he qualifies to play as an Aussie in the NBL. Given he is a winner through and through from college through professional ranks around the world he would fit perfectly into the Wildcats culture of team first. He has an excellent resume.

Put it this way, Serie A teams in Italy are looking at him is NBL teams would be crazy not to.

His college team went 33-0 in his senior season, albeit NCAA D2 but that just tells you the quality of his character.

He has highlights on YouTube easily found by searching his name.

Reply #678060 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

JR what type of player is he?

Reply #678061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Roberts

Reply #678062 | Report this post

Original JR  
Years ago

Todd- athletic 3/4 shoots the 3 ball well, can play offensively off the post either back to basket or facing up. Has an excellent mid range jumper, explosive first step is about 6'6 or 6’7’ in height. Great rebounder for his size and a quick leaper who gets up well and does so quickly. He is big in effort levels and hustle plays which make him a can’t miss.

Main thing is that he is a great team personality and would suit any winning program. He always makes the extra pass. As you will see from his resume he is not one of those guys who is only interested in chasing his numbers, quite the opposite actually which is why he has won championships in US college ball, Argentina as well as here in the SBL. He absolutely dominated the grand final here last year. His numbers are excellent whilst being very unselfish.

He had an Aussie wife and soon to be born first child so he is a grown man who takes his profession very seriously. Very mature mindset.

Check him out on YouTube he has plenty of highlights there

Reply #678065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's 31 though.

Reply #678066 | Report this post

Original JR  
Years ago

https://youtu.be/ILG7FVac2NM

He is a young 31 though, never had any serious injuries and stays in shape

Reply #678068 | Report this post

Original JR  
Years ago

I made an error.. he has an Aussie wife!!

Reply #678069 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

Thanks JR.

Sounds like a no brainer to me.

Reply #678073 | Report this post

Original JR  
Years ago

Todd I agree, he would add signifcant value to any team as an Aussie

Reply #678074 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I'm so eager to see Devondrick Walker play here. Hopefully not for Perth, but even so I'd be all right with it. Would be a star in the NBL

Reply #678078 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

As I understand it, having a spouse here only entitles Roberts to an initial partner visa that also commences permanent residency. To become citizen, he has to go through the same process as any other permanent resident which includes a minimum of 9 months every year where he has to be on the country.

AFAIK he has yet to do that as his playing contracts since he became PR has forced him outside Australia for longer than the maximum 3 months every year he's here? Unless I'm mistaken he is an import for the Redbacks?

Reply #678090 | Report this post

Years ago

Think of it this way- take the imports out of the Adelaide and Melbourne teams then play then against the Perth Aussie content. The result would be embarrassing to Perth. They would even get smashed by the Breakers locals. Wildcats have relied
on imported talent too much this season.

WTF have you been smoking?
Take Ware, Boone, and Prather/Felix out of Melbourne and they basically don't have a team. Every team relies on imports, thus it has always and will be. Perth still managed to do better than half the league, but their problem was that only two of their imports really delivered.

Reply #678091 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Roberts was an SBL import last year and all you need to play as a local in the SBL is PR. I believe the NBL requires full citizenship.

Reply #678093 | Report this post

Original JR  
Years ago

I don't smoke. Goulding, Wesley, Moller, Anderson, Barlow, Majok beat Perth’s unit of Australians. Pretty obvious to all I would’ve thought.

Reply #678120 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think Perth's crew are too abysmal (Martin, Kenny, Wagstaff, Brandt, Walker) but they don't really have scorers in that group. Melbourne at least have Goulding and Wesley.

Adelaide probably have both covered though - solid scoring almost the whole way through? They could likely start Sobey, Drmic, Creek, Johnson and Hodgson against a full-strength NBL team and not embarrass themselves. Kinda remarkable to start with that and then have three pretty competent imports as well.

If I were Perth (or anyone), I'd be going for Gliddon, Norton and Kay.

Reply #678124 | Report this post

Original JR  
Years ago

Koberulz I believe he has citizenship

Reply #678134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne run there offence for Goulding,Ware and Wesley, Adelaide offence is more open to allow anyone to score. Melbourne has scorers but they play team first. Melbourne beat nz in the semi but I thought it got a bit mixed up again with Prather in the line up. Tonight will be interesting to see how all plays out.

Reply #678161 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:23 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754