Tribe
Years ago

Should the NBL season be shortened?

I'm not suggesting that there should be less games.
But does anyone else think the season is stupidly long for 28, 40-minutes games per team?.
Personally I don't think the nbl finals should occur at the same time the AFL and NRL seasons commence.

Why not compact the season into 15ish rounds with teams consistently playing twice a week. Regular season over in Jan and finals completed by late Feb/early March?

Topic #42893 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

A large proportion of nbl fans aren't heavily invested and probably lose some interest once the afl season starts. We can't pretend that the nbl will ever compete with the afl in popularity.
It should be over by now

Reply #677846 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

They lost two weeks to WC Qualifiers this year.

I think 28-games as is the case at present is good. If it's a condensed season then you end up with a lot of bruise-free low intensity matches, which I wouldn't like to see happen to the league. Then there's what happened to WNBL's introduction of a condensed season, whereby fatigue and injuries turned the competition into a farce.

Reply #677847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What? It already was shortened a few seasons ago. We have one of the shortest seasons in world basketball. It needs to be lengthened, basketball is all about reps. Most NBL games the players look rusty.

Reply #677849 | Report this post

SM  
Years ago

Anon if the players look rusty it's because they're rusty. it would have nothing to do with the fact they have to play one 40 minute game a week.
I wouldn't mind it being slightly shortened as long as they maintain 28 games.

Reply #677851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They need more games, not enough of them and all they do is practice. Yes let's shorten an already shortened season, crazy.

Reply #677852 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

No. couldn't give a whatsit about AFL or nrl. finish the regular season before these codes start and run the finals over the first few weeks. there'll be enough interest and ticket sales from fans invested in their team getting to the finals

Reply #677854 | Report this post

Tribe  
Years ago

I don't think we have polar opposite opinions Anon. All the players do is practice and if the nbl keep the 28 game model, why not compact it a little and avoid the footy season?
Like I said, I'm not suggesting reducing games.

Reply #677856 | Report this post

Hawky  
Years ago

CT... that's the silliest thing I’ve heard in a long while. You cannot compete with the AFL (biggest sporting code) and the NRL.

When there isn’t anything to really report on prior to those seasons commencing and at the conclusion of the big bash, the NBL needs to grab all the media it can and run its finals PRIOR to the start of the AFL/ NRL seasons.

To say that you couldn’t give a 'whatsit’ about those codes is all well and good, but the majority of fans would have interest in multiple sports. In addition, only so far the family budget will stretch for many people and we don’t want them to have the choice of football or NBL as I fear the NBL would lose out Mose of the time. .

Reply #677859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It should not be shorter, maybe start earlier, in the nrl or afl half the teams don't play finals and the others start getting knocked out. Start mid September and finish early March, hopefully we get two more teams in shortly and play more games with lists of now 12 with extra import the players should cope.

Reply #677861 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I would be all for starting the season a bit earlier. The NBL's crowds are always at their best early in the season and once the Big Bash starts up interest begins to wane and as we've seen over the last few weeks of the regular season plus playoffs there is little interest in the NBL once the footy codes preseason games start.

I think it's worth the gamble to start the season 3-4 weeks earlier despite footy finals being on so people can go straight from that into an already up and running NBL season rather than this lacklustre finals build up into the end of March.

Reply #677862 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

The length of the NBL season is fine. Does not need to be shorter. Its not their fault we are getting inundated with AFL preseason news. I find this boring anyway, and I follow the AFL.

If they make it shorter (despite maintaining 28 games) it then looks too much like a boutique mini league which will be hard to take too seriously. Whats the point of following a competition for just 15 weeks in a year. Makes it look like a try-out league for something better.

If theres a comp that definitely needs to be shorter its the A-League. That season just drags on all summer and deep into the AFL/NRL seasons. And they only play 1 game a week over what 28 rounds?

Reply #677863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Length is fine, can't regularly play too many mid week games as school/trainings/social etc would affect attendance. If there was free to air though a Monday night prime time game could attract new fans instead of reality shows, would give sports fans another option. Of course bbl will always take precedence but before and after give it a shot.
But definitely have finals at least week before football codes, similar to juniors here coinciding with Adelaide show and losing wayville.

Reply #677864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CT, those footy fans/general public who like the NBL without being overly invested, are equally, if not more important than the devoted fans.

Why not showcase the pinnacle of the NBL during the quiet period before the footy season. Cricket basically winds down by February, and most people find AFL preseason and AFLW (no offence) quite boring.

Reply #677865 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

To say all the players do is practice may have once been right, but since the season was condensed they play on average a game every 4-5 days, or 3 games every 2 weeks.

The two FIBA breaks, combined with venue availability have created a later finish to the playoffs, and I think they need to condense the SF and GF schedule more so they are finishing this week coming.

Reply #677874 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

I see more growth coming from families and kids who drag their families along than from trying to magically catch the attention of the 'casual fan'. kids and families don't go to midweek games and making the season longer produces fewer midweek games, whereas a shorter season increases them.

everyone keeps talking about casual fans and harking back to a golden age when nbl was in the public consciousness but I'm not convinced those days are going to come back through marketing and media alone. grow the game through grassroots involvement, make it easy for people to take their kids, make people fans early on and they'll keep coming when they're older. you can't do that if your team plays half it's games on a school night

Reply #677877 | Report this post

SM  
Years ago

I bet majority of the players would prefer to play 2 games consistently per week.
It's their full time job.

I'd like to see the regular season keep 28 games but go over 4 months, with playoffs to go over 1 month. Therefore 5 months in total.
EG Regular season to run over the months of Oct, Nov, Dec and Jan. With playoffs played in Feb, concluded by the start of March.

I don't see that being too short at all. For example:

The NFL season goes over 5 months (including playoffs)
The AFL season goes over 6 months (including finals)

Reply #677878 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

It will be interesting come Game-3 where Crows fans need to make the decision whether to watch AFL Bombers v Crows or United v 36ers played at the same time. Same for Port fans too I guess - do they rather watch 36ers try for the win or Crows getting beaten?

Reply #677879 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

I think the season is too long for the small number of teams. If it was a larger competition then running for 6 months would be fine but I get bored watching the same teams playing each other repeatedly up to 9 times per season.

Reply #677883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shortened No.
But I tend to agree that with the finals being drawn out abit for various reasons I think it has been lost a bit in the lead up the the footy seasons.

Starting a couple of weeks earlier could work. By mid Sept there are only 2 finals on for each code and generally Friday/Saturday night.

The fixture can be worked around where games are played in the early rounds given that by July there is generally a good idea of which footy teams will be playing finals.

Reply #677888 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Unfortunately you just cant avoid football. Starting during the football finals would be madness as its hype overdrive at that point, even with less games. The games are bigger, and media attention is nationwide even if your local team isnt in it.

During the summer there is still plenty going on - trade week, offseason updates, the football never really stops other than when the cricket is in full gear and that gets top coverage. Then after that, tennis.

Agree with condensing the finals though, however that makes it harder to sell tickets in a shorter timeframe. Its one of those things the NBL will never win I think.

Reply #677894 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

It's not ideal that the finals will clash with the first round or two of the AFL.

But 28 games is a good number and has been consistent for a number of years, and the first game was 5th October- a few days after the Grand Final. It's probably not realistic to condense the 28 games into a shorter time period.

The clash with FIBA won't happen next year because the qualifiers won't be required again- is that right? If so, the season won't clash with the AFL next year?

Reply #677905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

christ NO,you only have to look at the disaster the WNBL just had with their first shortened season

Reply #677908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next year will be Olympic qualifiers so I imagine there will be similar breaks for internationals

Reply #677913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If there were more teams I think the playoffs would be better, even a top five system, top seed gets bye, winner 2/3 play 1, 4/5 elimination, etc. At the moment coming top doesn't really give too much rewards. Even this year teams weren't really playing for positions but more for matchups since its elimination from 1-4. Sure there's home court, but if you match up well it might well be advantageous to drop down ladder.

Reply #677914 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

NBL is getting boring. Same Teams playing the same X and O's.

We can need a 2 more teams.

Reply #677927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure where the Olympic Qualifying stuff come from (that is the World Cup) but the windows are the exact same next year with the addition of a window in the middle of September.

So the remaining windows are...

28 June - 2 July 2018
13 September - 18 September 2018
29 November - 3 December 2018
21 February - 25 February 2019

Reply #677930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If they make it shorter (despite maintaining 28 games) it then looks too much like a boutique mini league which will be hard to take too seriously. Whats the point of following a competition for just 15 weeks in a year. Makes it look like a try-out league for something better."

It is already a try-out league now - play well and get a contract in Europe, or play well and you are a lower tier player get a contract in NZ or state leagues locally. The NBL isn't really the pinnacle but just another league to play in now for these players.

The season is ALREADY shortened. Top tier leagues around the world play (including playoffs) from September-May (Europe) or October-June (NBA).

and what is all this talk about AFL/NRL? Fact is no matter what time of year there are many sports on vying for viewers. Do you not have the attention span to watch two games at the same time (36ers/AFL example)? Actually two games at the same time are better as if one is boring you have an alternative, especially now with TV+streaming combo and multiple TVs in the home.

Reply #677947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also I'd like to add what others have commented - that eight teams is getting boring. Either add new teams or take more care compiling the schedule - i.e. Sixers and Utd only facing each other early in the season was a joke, so much so that we will only see the real teams play off against each other in the GF series! Not good but luckily they both made it to the GF.

Reply #677948 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Grand Final series should run from Friday to the following weekend. Not over 3 weekends.

Reply #678027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, they are doing it right this season (finally).

In the past playoff series have been too squeezed together, as if to rush the most important part of the season.

Finally they are giving it the spacing it deserves which should mean higher quality yet fans aren't happy? You can't win.

Reply #678043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeh but they didn't get it right this season.

Reply #678116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How so?

Reply #678141 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Fine the way it is maybe tweak it a bit.
Bring back 48 minute games with 12 man squads being brought in.

Reply #678147 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:59 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754