Proud
Years ago

NBL 50th anniversary team

Now we have had a little bit of time to digest the 40th anniversary team and how so many forgot how great Phil Smyth and Cal Bruton were, it got me wondering about the next all time team and what we fans look for...

Let's take Bryce Cotton as an example, what accolades and achievements would he need for you to even consider having him replace Grace, McDonald or Heal?

Would he need to play for the next 10 years?
How many more MVP awards, club, league and grand final would he need?
Scoring titles ?
Wildcats club (or whomever else if he emulates Casey Prather) records?
Any other parameters that matter to you ?

I'd like to hear if people think that Lisch or Randle or Boone or anyone else currently in the league would make stronger cases for inclusion but remember Kirk Penney is a legend and he didn't get a look in.

Topic #42894 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton needs to play more than 5 seasons at very least to be in the conversation

Reply #677896 | Report this post

It's just natural that one or two season players, no matter how good, will get forgotten about by a majority of the more casual NBL fans over the journey and thus won't poll well. You'd really need to be a star in the league for a significant period so your name carries the familiarity long after you've left the NBL.

Reply #677898 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

Considering the first 5 has stayed almost the same (4/5) since the 20th Anniversary team it would take a minor miracle for any current player to overtake them.

- Multiple championships
- Consistently being rated in the top 2 or 3 at your position for 10+ seasons
- Club records and awards

It's a very high bar. For instance despite being the premier defensive player of his generation and possibly the best defensive player in NBL history (of course the 2nd part is open to opinion) Damian Martin won't get anywhere near an anniversary team like this.

Kirk Penney is the one that I believe if he had spent a longer time in the NBL would have been a chance to break into this sort of team.

Reply #677909 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Current players are less likely to make it as they usually end up going to NBA or Europe or some like Andersen come back from NBA and Europe.

Reply #677935 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I'm glad that I started this thread and agree with everything that has been said. Also I was thinking that in 10 years time that next generation will likely be the overriding voice but yeah you have to be a hell of a player for a very long time to even get in the conversation.

Thanks to everyone that's commented

Reply #678100 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:25 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754