Anonymous
Years ago

NBL Rumour Mill

With the Finals about to start, what are some of the biggest NBL rumours for free agency and the offseason?

Will a team shift locations?
Will their be an AFL owned team in the league?
What free agents have you heard will move team?
looking at team balance and change of coaches etc, what free agents would be best placed where?

lots to discuss, and I'm sure some people on here will have knowledge of these questions

Topic #42895 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gliddon to Perth

Reply #677895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogus to Kings. 100%.

Reply #677910 | Report this post

Red64  
Years ago

Channel 7 keen to start broadcast NBL next season. Likely on 7mate.

Reply #677915 | Report this post

Red64  
Years ago

Also - new Melbourne side still a season away. Trying to be fast tracked but cutting it fine now.

Reply #677916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kickert as good as gone from Brisbane

Reply #677920 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

New Melb team trying to get Bogut on board

Reply #677926 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Hawthorn are front runners for the new team in Melbourne.

Reply #677933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But will the 'new' Melb team be new? or does the Tweet from current Illawarra Hawks owner a week or so ago show that, where's there's smoke there's fire? I note that Hawthorn have been mentioned a lot and Illawarra also bare the Hawks name? Could that be a possibility?

If so, does that mean we wait another 12 months for a new NBL team to enter the market?

Reply #677937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NO to 7mate, it's a secondary channel and not even in HD! Ewww.

Reply #677942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So where will this new team recruit players from exactly?

Reply #677970 | Report this post

MD  
Years ago

Dexter Kernich-Drew, Mason Bragg and Rhys Vague not suiting up in the WASBL....perhaps been told by Perth Wildcats they are no longer required?

Reply #677977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone posted in the sbl thread Bragg is suiting up for lakeside this weekend. I also remember reading Vague was told to play in NZBL in the off season (that was a while ago tho)

Reply #677982 | Report this post

Deimos33  
Years ago

Bragg playing in Melbourne

Reply #677988 | Report this post

NannasAlwaysRight  
Years ago

Hunter Pirates to come back and replace Brisbane as cellar dwellers for 18/19 season

Reply #678014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney Spirit to come in and take over the Sydney Kings licence, maybe they will learn how to recruit better?

Reply #678016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

teams to join forces

brisbane broncos and bullets
hawks and dragons
roosters and kings

nrl and nbl

Reply #678019 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

1988 Geelong Supercats to Uni-retire en masse and beat everyone.

Reply #678026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol. Bullets already tried partnering with the Broncos. Ba bow.

Reply #678029 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Seven have the tennis for a good month, not ideal. But neither is ten with big bash every night and channel nine with international cricket, NBL have sort of missed the opportunity to argue for consistent prime time coverage on any of Friday/sat/sun nights

Reply #678049 | Report this post

ferdterguson  
Years ago

My sources have confirmed that Damian Martin has won the 2019 Defensive player of the year award.

Reply #678058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I say again, "So where will this new team recruit players from exactly?"
Their staff? Offices, Naming Rights in such a short time, sponsors, crowds, so many questions, such little forethought.

Reply #678084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will the Hawks be there next season.

Reply #678085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL Martin

Reply #678103 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I say again, "So where will this new team recruit players from exactly?"
Their staff? Offices, Naming Rights in such a short time, sponsors, crowds, so many questions, such little forethought.
If it's an AFL team, they'd have a running start at everything but the coaches/players.

For coach, they get Fearne or poach a solid assistant or whoever is hanging around. For players, they'd have a blank canvas. Offer Bogut buckets, get 3-4 imports, and go after the best Hawks and whoever else wants something new. Even if Illawarra isn't going anywhere, there will be players either disillusioned or worried about their future. They might not be brilliant in the first year, but few expansion teams are.

Reply #678113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Hawthorn Hawks has a good ring to it, but would players such as Coenraad, Foremann and alike follow if the team moved to Melbs?

Reply #678130 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Of the Hawks, how many have direct ties to the Illawarra these days? Coenraad has a house there AFAIK. Maybe Martin too.

Reply #678142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so If they moved to Melb, would that force a few retirements based on being too hard to move at this stage of the career/family etc?

Reply #678155 | Report this post

ferdterguson  
Years ago

I have it on good authority that the Sydney Kings are actively seeking to overpay for players on the decline while creating an unbalanced, under-performing squad. They will cap this off employing a coach that will run a system that won't make good use of those players talents.

Reply #678170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Create a new thread for sarcasm, but we want real rumour mill stuff

Reply #678189 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

so If they moved to Melb, would that force a few retirements based on being too hard to move at this stage of the career/family etc?
Quite possibly. Definitely wouldn't make it easier for guys like Coenraad, Martin, etc.

Reply #678192 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

May not be a rumour but McCarron to absolutely kill it next season and Cairns to play attractive basketball albeit with a team that will struggle to win many games.... would be bloody terrific to see big Nate play a full season though.

I'd love to see Rucker back on NBL commentary, if he can take over from Tommy Greer then that would be a dream come true.

This season the Wildcats came out and said they wouldn't play NBA teams as they are in the business of winning championship and they didn't win so will they relook at the benefits of that decision when they can bring in new sponsors that can be seen in America... also wondering if Adelaide tries to get a game.

Wouldn't it be great if the NBL can have a round of NBA games... This is about rumours but now you know all my dreams

Reply #678389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bwahahahaha I forgot about the Cats *turning down" NBA. A fat lot of good that did for them.

Reply #678392 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

NBA have requested the bottom 3 sides again so they can guarantee the W

Reply #678401 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:15 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754