Pete
Years ago

Childress Injury Update

http://www.adelaide36ers.com/news/article/36043-childress-injury-update

Scans have revealed Josh Childress has no structural damage to his left shoulder.

The US import hit the deck after driving to the basket and running into David Barlow midway through the fourth quarter of yesterday's Game 2 victory.

Childress will undergo reassessment during the week to determine whether he is fit to play on Friday night.

Topic #42921 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks.

Reply #678894 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

If there is no structural damage, how is there any doubt as to his availability for Friday? No structural damage means the shoulder is good to go, no?

Reply #678907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Manu, there is always the pain threshold element. He may not be able to train all week, due to the shoulder for example which could effect match fitness. Besides the obvious, just like every sports team world wide, they will keep him 'doubtful' until they absolutely have to declare his fitness, cat and mouse games.

Reply #678909 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Not that simple Manu.

Reply #678912 | Report this post

Pete  
Years ago

Disclaimer: I am definitely not a doctor or physio.

I've had my share of shoulder injuries, and as others have mentioned elsewhere, they are super complex.

I take "no structural" to mean not breaks, fractures or obvious tears. There could still be heavy bruising, strain, swelling etc.

Something like an impinged bursa wouldn't show up on a structural scan, but would limit range and ease of motion. In that case, for example, they'd hit it with a cortisone to try and get it over the line and calm down. That's a typical result for a heavy shoulder impact.

Reply #678913 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Just because there's no structural damage doesn't mean he can raise his arm above his head - just means there's no structural damage.

Reply #678914 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Yeah fair enough.

So swelling/small tears/muscle problems are the things that can prevent him from playing?

It's good that it's his non-dominant side, but that's to be expected because the non-dominant side is always the one you'd lead with

Reply #678922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I had no structural damage but couldn't lift both my shoulders for a week once after and incident. I could just barely hold my arms up to the bottom of the steering wheel to drive.

Reply #678927 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Good news for the integrity of the series... but what you're telling me is that his jump shot could look uglier?

Reply #678970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahaha, no, not physically possible

Reply #678971 | Report this post

NannasAlwaysRight  
Years ago

Can they cover someone like Childress?
Is Hodgson's game better nowadays? Deng proves he can make the grade. Hodgson is a Grade B player. Good but not great.
I think to cover his loss, I cant find a player ready to step up and commit to 20mins of game time on that second unit

Reply #679031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably a ploy like Boone's injury was and is now ;)

Reply #679033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Childress would have broken his back if he had a spine. I heard that somewhere recently :)

Reply #679036 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Hodgeson would be better for more court time but as soon as he puts a foot on the court the whistle blows and he's got a foul.

Reply #679043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe he should stop fouling then?

Reply #679045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers fans complaining about unfair fouls? Ok then.

Reply #679046 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

No reference to unfair calls in that comment. Back under your rock please.

Reply #679071 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Be interested to see Deng get a few minutes if Childress has to sit out. Boone really doesn't enjoy chasing him and Johnson out to the 3 point line. It seems to take Boone out of his comfort zone. Plus it wears him down quicker and takes him out of the key for defense.

Reply #679072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Childress is out and about with his arm in a sling and all smiles. He'll have ongoing assessments during the week. Sit tight everyone. The Sixers will be disappointed but happy he has no structural issues, People and their health comes first above all else and the team will deal with it and accept it is what it is. There is always Cortisone if they think they can’t handle the game without him. It is what it is.

Reply #679084 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

I'm hearing it's more serious than first thought.

Reply #679101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cancel that. Fractured Scapula on second CT scan. Out for rest of series. Time for the rest of the team to take more minutes and share his workload between them. They can do it. Challenge accepted.

Reply #679126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Soft. Often, more times than not, this fires up a team and they overcome the challenge.

Reply #679147 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Feel sorry for him. He's been brilliant this year.

Reply #679149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would he be "all smiles"?? I certainly wouldn't be if I were him. I love how he feels the need to blame Barlow as well, as if he wasn't the one who was trying to use his body to draw contact in the first place. I love Childress as a player but he is blatantly one eyed when it comes to calls against him... or no calls even.

Reply #679232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LIke almost all basketball players at every level.

Reply #679234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whether it was a foul or not, whistled or not whistled, he would still be injured. Such a stupid game the blame game. Barlow played defence in the spirit of the game, move on.

Reply #679235 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Did he blame Barlow? I saw him appeal for a foul which is a pretty common response but I'm not aware of him coming out and blaming him for the injury.

Reply #679308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So do you think Chilldress has to mope around now ? Really what a ridiculous thing to say. He was enjoying meeting people and making the best of it. Shows his character that he can enjoy a moment despite his disappointment and pain. And at that stage he did not have the 2nd scan that found the fractured scapula which is an unusual and unexpected injury hence not finding it earlier on the first scan. Pain can be referred so often not related to the injury site which makes diagnosis difficult in some cases and pretty normal across the world to do follow up scans as swelling reduces and more issues or improvement come to light.

Reply #679319 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Is there a link to where Childress blamed Barlow?

Reply #679323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Addy quote.

"He suffered the injury after running into Melbourne's David Barlow on a drive.
"I’m not sure if it happened on the fall or on the contact, it was incredible that I didn’t get a foul called, it was a lot of contact and created the injury," Childress said.
“It’s unfortunate timing, I know that the game was pretty physical and Barlow had made some questionable plays prior to that."

Reply #679328 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Haha poor comment

Reply #679330 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

The above Advertiser comments missed the most important comments which I can only paraphrase (paywall - read in the physical copy). Childress refers to the baseline play where Barlow looks over his shoulder, sees Childress in the air for the alley and decides to tunnel him as being an example of Barlow being dirty and not necessarily the play where Childress gets injured.

While I didn't see any other dirty plays from Barlow I agree with Childress on that one, it was a brain-snap from Barlow and a disgusting play. I think plays like that the officials should be given the power to give out more than a common foul, it shouldn't be encouraged.

Reply #679333 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

He's wondering why he didn't get a foul and says the contact resulted in an injury. We kind of already know all that. He also calls it unfortunate timing.

By "blaming" are you referring to the "Barlow had made some questionable plays prior to that"? Because that sounds like he's adding weight to his argument for a foul.

I read all that as being him asking why a play that he thought he was fouled on which resulted in an injury didn't result in a foul call.

Reply #679334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Childress calling someone else out for questionable plays is all of the LOLs!!

Reply #679335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont panic, I dont like ADL hate the arrogance of Sobey/Creek/Shorter etc.

Childress going down will be a blessing..
Dont worry I rate Childress as there most important player.

I been around along time, every player will now step up knowing they need to.

ADL win game 3.

revisit this Friday night.

Reply #679369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was in the video clip of him interviewed at training, not sure which website it was from.
Whether or not he was trying to add weight to the need for a foul I'm not sure, but how it was edited/cut and what he said sounded like he was calling out Barlow on the drive.
Whether that was correct or not I don't know, but that's how it came across to me.

Reply #679375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL is a dirty league. No respect for players who are in the air. It's dangerous. Ask Brad Hill.

Reply #679383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't that over ten years ago??

Reply #679384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re: length of time - so?

Reply #679386 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:01 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754