cat
Years ago

Dome fit for the the 21st century?

Amazed to see half the food line flee at yesterday's game due to EFTPOS not operating.

A common occurrence every week at the Dome and staggering to think it hasn't been addressed by management.

I realise the cost that may be incurred to fix the issue but the loss of revenue would be staggering.

Melbourne supporters' shaking their heads as they walked away saying 'that's Adelaide for you' is NOT a great look.

Topic #42923 | Report this topic

It's an Arena now, they realised a while ago that the Dome wasn't at all Dome-like.

EFTPOS down is a terrible look though, and i'd be interested to know the cause. It must surely be a LAN issue, and a costly and embarrassing time for it to occur.

Reply #678916 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Basing your opinion of Adelaide on the eftpos machine at 1 venue says more about Melbournians than it does Adelaide IMO.

How about the female Melbourne fan who wore sunnies throughout the whole game...should we base our opinions of all Melbournians based on her?

Reply #678919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's the broke Melbourne losers with no cash, just credit cards racking up debt because they’re paying $800,000 for a shoebox in a shitty apartment while we sip on champagne down Henley beach

Reply #678924 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I think you have the wrong thread, anon.

May I direct you to this: https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/42920-nbl-grand-final-game-3264-pre-game-fan-banter/

Reply #678925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ hahahaha, shots fired!

Reply #678926 | Report this post

Pete  
Years ago

I base my opinion of Melbourne fans solely on the behaviour of Brendan Fevola.

But I digress.

Reply #678932 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Perhaps we won't mention the behavior of any former Adelaide afl players as an assessment of Adelaide.

Reply #678938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guys next to me struck exactly that problem - 'everything down' so no ability to pay by card.

Apparently they were told the issue was everyone on their phones.

Whatever the cause, in an increasingly cash-rare society it is a genuine issue - for all patrons, not just the interstate types.

No-one is going to die for want of an in-game 'beverage', but it's not a happy situation for anyone looking to use a card to pay for food for a family, for example.

Does need fixing.

Reply #678943 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Its actually the scout arena guys, and you know their motto. ...... cash only

Reply #678944 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Dehydrate the opposition fans. It's all part of the bigger picture

Reply #678945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's not extend the discussion to Adelaide’s archaic shopping hours. Even the new Premier smashed them on the radio today.... living in the 50’s much?? :)

Reply #678948 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Yeah I've had that issue at Adelaide Arena a few times, they need to get their act together

Reply #678950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately it's not new, occurs every game.
Should have been fixed by now, purchasing food and drinks is very frustrating as takes anywhere from 10mins to 30 mins depending on timing. I think this is terrible considering games only last 2 hours all up.

Reply #678959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im from Adelaide, defend Adelaide as a state as much as possible, but agree this is a very amateur look. And sadly, its 'so Adelaide' in many peoples minds. Get the simple shit sorted!

Reply #678964 | Report this post

NannasAlwaysRight  
Years ago

Years ago, when the South Dragons co existed with the Tigers, Vodafine Arena brought in eftpos and it sucked badly. Your ice cream melted before you even got the third attempt on your eftpos and its winter.

For possibly the biggest game of the year, they need to rectify but, cash is all powerful. The fault is really on the user. You've become too accustomed to swiping your card for everything. Cash is still relevant

Reply #679030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Must be a LAN issue. Cough cough

Reply #679034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"cash is all powerful. The fault is really on the user. You've become too accustomed to swiping your card for everything"

So I go to Coles, do a $400 shop, there is no EFTPOS because of an issue with Coles, I don't have $400 cash on me so it is my fault? So Adelaide.

Reply #679035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

User #948

The only reason your shops open late in Fitzroy is because you losers have to work 2 jobs to pay your rent haha

#beentoportwillungabeach?

Reply #679038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#038 dipshit... every bum fuck Idaho suburb in Melbourne has a 24 hour supermarket. Fitzroy is only for the druggies and hipsters... #twat

Reply #679040 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

I'm not sure it was an issue because of phones. I heard the employees talk about WiFi issues also. Regardless, it was a joke. Especially when one girl serving drinks was holding the EFTPOS above her head shaking it with a card in it for about 5 minutes. If it’s a phone issue, then how do AFL stadiums handle it?

Reply #679056 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Every mobile tower has only a certain number of connections. When that limit has been reached, phones will try to connect to another tower further away, if available. Most eftpos terminals are WiFi now as it is a lot cheaper than dedicated land lines. They are competing for the same connections as everyone in the building who is texting, updating Facebook, live chatting, steaming etc.

The large AFL venues, such as Adelaide Oval, MCG, etc have upgraded WiFi capacity, either WiFi through the mobile network or dedicated "Free WiFi" on site. These stadium are used all year round so the investment by the Mobile companies is recouped.

Adelaide Arena is in the middle of suburbia and only for the 14 home games plus a few finals has the numbers there to stretch the mobile providers. Any upgrade done by the Mobile providers would not get a meaningful return on their investment, hence the struggle to get a connection at times with large crowds.

There is an article published in The Advertiser on February 25 2015 which discusses this issue and how it is being resolved at Adelaide Oval and interstate venues.

Reply #679067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Melbourne supporters' shaking their heads as they walked away saying 'that's Adelaide for you' is NOT a great look."

Melbourne people are so dumb. In time warp Adelaide cash is king.

Reply #679073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ushiro has the correct answer.
"It's a LAN issue".... that's so funny
Build in the capacity. So the DOME isn't 21st Century ready at all.

Reply #679076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here's an idea .

Be prepared and carry some cash in your wallet. There is always risks of technical failures.

Stop being brats. This could happen anywhere and anytime. Only a fool relies on 1
source for anything in life.

Get over yourselves.

Reply #679082 | Report this post

If they're all 3G EFTPOS machines then you're just asking for trouble.

Reply #679106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

read a melb article that said that it was a sunken basketball stadium in the back blocks of Adelaide and on the drive the roads are littered with old sofas.

Reply #679122 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

In the long term Basketball will be played in the city ,
next to Adelaide oval at Memorial Drive , with the Adelaide Crows owning the 36ers.....

Reply #679143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha the Clipsal Powerhouse was built in the early 90s and still the best stadium for "basketball" in the country.

I've been to Hisense, state hockey or wherever the tigers used to play, been to Perth Arena, been to cairns also been to see a game in the Sydney super dome at Homebush. Adelaide’s “purpose built basketball arena” is a great venue to watch basketball.

Reply #679193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It only cost three shillings for a pint too!

Reply #679194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same time, but 15 years behind.

Reply #679238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We already knew there is no money in Adelaide.

Now it's confirmed there's no bandwidth either.

Reply #679388 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

" It is a most miserable thing to feel ashamed of home. "
Charles Dickens .

Reply #679484 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Camel31

Adelaide does have a Dickensian feel about it though. Sort of Bleak House meets Great Expectations.

Although Dickens never wrote about serial killers and bodies in barrels as far as I know.

Reply #679594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

or EFTPOS being down.

Reply #679598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the long term Basketball will be played in the city ,
next to Adelaide oval at Memorial Drive

When did Adelaide become a city?

Reply #679600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, I really miss driving an hour and half to work everyday with tolls.

Reply #679620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are a lot of Dickeds from Adelaide on this forum.

Reply #679623 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:22 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754