In the Know
Years ago

Price Increases again!

I am told that all junior district prices are going up again! Again our association want to get more money out of us. I thought with the cancellation of insurance and the saving of money here, there wouldnt be a need to rise prices gain.Any one thoughts.

Topic #4293 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

speaking of price increase.. unleaded petrol is tipped to reach $1.45 in the coming days! thoughts?? ;-)

Reply #49813 | Report this post

Parent  
Years ago

Petrol Price + Junior District Basketball Cost = More kids playing street ball at the local school courts and a boom for the social basketball competition.

BASA - open your eyes and actually take a look at the real world!

Reply #49815 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

With the price of petrol on the up at the moment and possibly the club fees also, I think a lot of the kids that play 2 sports are going to drop bball due to the cost which is a shame.

I played footy this year and my fee for the season was $130 (concession $110) and got a team jacket with it also. Hell of a lot cheaper, hopefully BASA can think and get the fees down so we can get more kids back into bball.

Reply #49817 | Report this post

Mustafah  
Years ago

Bizzy is back!

Reply #49846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$200+ per season + $6.00 per week + $3.00 for mum or dad per week + petrol = good value NOT------------- FOOTBALL $95 per season mum @ dad free and everyone gets a trophy for playing sounds like good value to me

Reply #49864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Problem is that footy has like 22 players to spread the cost, but Bball has like 6-7 players so they need to pay more per umpire, court hire, etc.

Reply #49878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

22 players one team in one age group at football most bb clubs have at least 8-9 players per team and at least 3 teams in most age groups eg div 1 div 2 div 3 that works out to at least 20+players do the sums!!!

Reply #49884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

football also pay umpires(more per game than bball)oval hire and running cost of clubrooms,ect

Reply #49886 | Report this post

pickles  
Years ago

sometimes there have been situations where teams have had to play with only one umpire. If people pay that money they should at least be entitled to have 2 umpires.

Reply #49942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

referees and umpires deserve to have a partner it is NO walk in the park for them to do solos

Reply #49950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well firstly the money that you pay to enter the stadium and your fees does NOT go to the umpires. So don't think that referee's are now getting paid more because you pay more.

Also there needs to be more umpires before you start seeing no more solo's. It's not the best thing to be if you're an umpire, all the criticism and low numbers, but the sport cannot continue to grow unless there's more people willing to be placed in that position.

Also what is this topic focusing at? Seniors or juniors?

Reply #49951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think that you will find that the increase in ticket costs will be associated with an increase in umpires pay. My understadning is that this is the main reason for the increase.

Reply #49960 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

In the know- I think you are on the money, and it's going to come from our pockets.
I hear that there has a recently approved pay increase for refs (and I agree with this if it keeps the refs involved or attracts more) and BASA has a sub-committee looking at ways of making money and it could mean we pay an extra $1 for the privilege of entering a BASA stadium.
I only wish it was being pumped back into improved facilities and paying off other peoples BASA debts.

Reply #49966 | Report this post

Quiet one  
Years ago

The pay increase last time was due to the fact of covering players insurance. Now that it has gone it should have been adjusted apprporiately throughout the competition in all aspects. Therefore, the money that was going to player insurance could have reasonably be given to umpires and referees, hence no reason why the amount to pay-to-play is to be increased.

Reply #49988 | Report this post

$talks  
Years ago

Need to consider the structure as well as the amount. Surely a flat fee per player is better than charging spectators to watch a junior competition.

This has short term benefits to the clubs through their catering activities (i.e. more canteen sales etc). In the longer term you might find more friends / family come to watch and just maybe they to may develop an interest in basketball. Also the more people through a stadium the easier it is for clubs to get sponsors.

Reply #49991 | Report this post

BMG  
Years ago

Quite right $talks.

It has been shown in spectator levels where carnivals have been run on a team fee basis. Dramatically improved, Grandma et al may be inclined to come and watch if they didn't have to fork out for the privelage.

The only downside is what about the teams with only 5 or 6 players?

Reply #49992 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

City South implements a team fee of $34 per game, which covers all players and spectators.

A feature of team fees is that the costs of running a game are shared evenly between both teams, ie. each team pays the same amount, regardless of how many players on the team. In my opinion, this is a good thing - it means that teams with good player numbers are not subsidising those with few players.

(Having said that, CS currently implements a cap on the team fee of $5 per player, which partly defeats the purpose of team fees, but still eases with administration, and encourages spectators to attend).

Reply #49994 | Report this post

Misty  
Years ago

(#49960)
"I think that you will find that the increase in ticket costs will be associated with an increase in umpires pay. My understadning is that this is the main reason for the increase."

Umpires pay has risen from $14.70 to $15.00 for a senior mens game.
At any given time there can be approximately 7 players per umpire in a game. $0.30 divided by 7 players is roughly 4.29 cents.
How much have the basketball fees risen?

Reply #50502 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:13 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754