Isaac
Years ago

Joey Wright fined $5k for league comments

Was asked after game one whether he'd follow up re: refs with the NBL and made a joke about how that would be something like "talk to Melbourne about Melbourne."

The NBL found comments Wright made about the league in the post-game press conference were inappropriate and warranted a sanction. The club has accepted the penalty.

There'd be a lot of fines handed out on Hoops if the NBL had any jurisdiction here!

As usual, the NBL then publicise what they deemed so offensive...

Topic #42935 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

So worth the $5K. Was a funny moment

Reply #679145 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Surely Chris Goulding will get a fine for his half time attack on the refs.

Reply #679150 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

He loves it.

Reply #679151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris retracted his words in the second half of his answer though... you could see he realised what he said and panicked a little.

Reply #679153 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

So clearly the fine has nothing to do with the refs and everything to do with the conflict of interest insinuation.

Reply #679157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Goulding should probably cop some sort of fine too, being a Melbourne player though its unlikely

Reply #679159 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

The fine isn't actually for comments on the referees.

Gleeson threatened a referee in game and no fine.

Goulding and Vickerman both said similar if not worse things than Joey and now action

Also this was from Game 1. Why does it take the NBL so long to process simple things like this.

Reply #679161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remmeber when Joey wasn't so grumpy?

Reply #679164 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Remmeber when Joey wasn't so grumpy?
No?

Reply #679168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Gleeson threatened a referee in game and no fine."

He did?

"Goulding and Vickerman both said similar if not worse things than Joey and now action "

Are you pretending this is Joey's first offence?

Reply #679172 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

So what if it isnt, he isnt being charged based on record, he is being fined for comments that are truth. He has said what everyone has been saying and been fined for it.

It would have been cheaper for him to punch a player in the head.

Gouldings comments are far more controversial but LK won't fine LK

Gleeson threatened a ref in the 36ers game in Perth. The people I was watching the game also said he just threatened the ref.

Reply #679173 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

And to think two of these guys are full time ref's.. Laughable!

Reply #679176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh dear.

Reply #679177 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

The league is pretty hypocritical. They choose to sensationalize the things that they punish players and coaches for doing and then take a stab at their pay packet while benefiting from it themselves. They want characters in the league but want to punish characters for having character. They might as well script the post game interviews themselves to make sure the coaches can't be accused of wrongspeak. Never thought the NBL would get quite as Orwellian as the society that surrounds it but seems it has.

Reply #679182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Andrew Bogut.

Reply #679184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"No?"

LOL! Isaac it was a long time ago but when he was in charge of the Bullets he wasn't grumpy like now.

Reply #679204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson gets away with everything. Threatening a ref is another to add to the long list. How does this grub survive, he got exposed this season plus his appauling behaviour how is he not out? Joey also needs to chill out but Gleeson is by far the worst behaved coach.

Reply #679205 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

Joey is a great coach but needs to get his chip off his shoulders. That type of stress gives you heart attacks,

Reply #679208 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I would suggest that chip on Joey's shoulder is what fuels both himself and the team's intensity. I'm not saying he's a great X's and O's coach but no other coach in the league would've been able to get this team into the GF especially after losing the league MVP in the offseason.

Look at last season a roster most people expected to finish near the bottom of the ladder and they finished top of the table.

Reply #679213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no evidence that Gleeson threatened a ref. Did the ref report him? Did the league investigate?

Reply #679224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The one thing I now for certain is he has definitely threatened a few buffets going by his figure.

Reply #679228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

know*

Reply #679229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why even make a stupid comment like the buffet thing. Not needed at all. Grow up if that's possible.

Reply #679236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding suggested the reffing was uneven at halftime of game 2. Wright suggested the refereeing in game 1 was influenced by LK's control of the league and United. Massive difference.

Reply #679241 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Plus Goulding actually 'said' that his team was at fault for 'not adjusting'. He was obviously being sarcastic but he didn't actually say the refs were giving his side a raw deal

Reply #679244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding covered his tracks well enough I guess. Joey just blatantly accused th league of cheating. Yet some Adelaide fans turn this in to something about Gleeson to deflect attention from Wright's continuous bitching.

Reply #679245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so many flat out dick heads offering zero on this forum these days

Reply #679247 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

If you want to offer something substantial, how about using a moniker?

Reply #679250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I preferred Rachel to Moniker.

Reply #679255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What if he was right? Every chance he was and LK will never admit that he employs refs that really shouldn't be paid to ref at that level.

Reply #679257 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wright actually said both teams had their run getting calls. Some sensitive ears choosing to pick this one out as a fine over all the other comments around the league this year.

Reply #679258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He said "ask Melbourne about Melbourne?" as if to say there is no point questioning favourable calls towards Melbourne because Melbourne runs the league.

Reply #679259 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He did, but he also said both teams had runs of good calls. It was hardly a standout thing said about refs this season when nothing else has been fined.

Reply #679263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which is true

Reply #679264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, you're right. The league should actually be giving Joey $5000 for dropping truth bombs!

Reply #679267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Joey is on the brink of another finals brain-fart, but of course all his fanboys must jump to his defence.
This a professional adult league, his hysterics achieve nothing.

Reply #679271 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

paul, I think there's a pretty clear difference between saying the refs made errors and saying the refs were in the pocket of one of the teams.

Reply #679276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hang on, people actually listen to anything joey Wright has to say anymore? I'm a big 36er fan, but find him painfully embarrassing.

Reply #679291 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

My mail is the league wanted to suspend Joey for the comment.

Reply #679306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So they should. This is far from the first time he has said something stupid post-match.

Has he got Boti to write his defense yet?

Reply #679314 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Can we all just agree that Joey's "give me a tech!" followed by "do a better job!" to Aylen was one of the best coaching moments of this season? I'm sure all of us have felt like that at one point or another during our Div 5 social comps :)

Reply #679325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I still don't know why Aylen gave him a tech for that.

Reply #679327 | Report this post

Because Joey asked nicely.

Reply #679352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is Aylen a full time ref. Following on from Kath & Kim .... "Look at me!!!"

Reply #679715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

... and why are his shirts so tight?

Reply #679716 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

It's a bra and girdle in one.

Reply #679719 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Joey's comments didn't warrant a fine. He merely told it as it is. What annoyed the NBL(LK) is that the comments embarrassed them. They were not going to sit back and do nothing about it even though it was the truth.

Reply #680660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is the worst take ever, only one which an Adelaide fan would think was appropriate.

Reply #680664 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:16 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754