Anonymous
Years ago

Premier League Round 2

Some upsets in round 1, here we go for round 2.

South vs Eastern at Marion
South lost to title favourites North last week after a poor first term. Eian Davis showing he's still electrifying scoring 30 but not enough production from the rest of the crew. Will Wise played a lone hand for Eastern but no doubt they're an improved squad.

South by 12.

Southern vs North at Morphett Vale
Both teams recorded solid first up wins in round 1. Southern beat up a young and under manned Sturt side, so not much to take from that one. North handled business at home, with Starling proving he's still the best import in the league & a lethal duo with his former college running mate.

North by 7. Still title favourites until proven otherwise.

West vs Norwood at Port Adelaide
Again both winners by double figures round 1. Big question is whether Norwoods imports will play & whether Legan will play for West. Both veteran crews and both will expect to be around the mark towards seasons end.

West at home by 4.

Centrals vs Woodville at Starplex
A great first up win by Centrals would have them riding high. Ricardo Martin showing he might be an early season MVP candidate & Jimma Dau dropping 27 points. Woodville had scoring troubles at the ARC with highly touted import Everette Osborne going 1/10. Luckily their other new guy picked up the slack to avoid a truly embarrassing result.

Centrals by 6 at home coming in with confidence from the week before.

Forestville vs Sturt at Wayville
Nate Garth didn't debut last week due to paperwork issues - I assume of the VISA kind. I notice he did play on Tuesday so should have some run in his legs. Both teams played under manned in round 1 and had to take their lumps. Interested to see Jalen Richards from Forestville play a full game.

Forestville to hang on by 3 in game of the round.

Some great games this round. What game is going to be game of the round?

Topic #42943 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You'd have to think Southern vs North.

Reply #679510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can you say Eastern are an improved team, they lost by 27 to centrals, Wise was terrible, they just had no one else that could score that's why he dropped 25. Bottom by a long margin

Reply #679513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rios will be here & he's one of the best guards the league has seen the past half dozen years.

Score line flattered Centrals & I think Centrals will be a finals side!

Reply #679517 | Report this post

MattyG  
Years ago

woodvilles imports to carry them against centrals, after a rocket from scott whitmore.

Centrals didnt even get a true hit out against the poor eastern, cant judge form on that.

Reply #679519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rios has been on the decline in recent years hence Eagles let him go

Reply #679525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rios shopped himself around - got one bite.

Reply #679528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it true Tyler Kennedy signed at Norwood?

Reply #679529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep

Reply #679547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rios isn't even in the country yet! He is serviceable but he's not a 30ppg player!

Reply #679560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So no Rios this week? How about the other imports who sat out game 1?

Who can Tigers throw at Starling to shut him down?

Reply #679586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Probably the 3 guys in grey down at the ville #homecooking

Reply #679644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Battle of the new imports for Sturt & Forestville matchup of the round. Nate Garth about to prove he's the best PG in the league.

Reply #679686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Garth talking himself up again!

Reply #679687 | Report this post

MattyG  
Years ago

we'll see if forsetville import has learnt the unsportmanlike foul rule yet.

Reply #679691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodville will need Osborne to play like an MVP rather than a backup PG this week.

Reply #679694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Match of round will be Rockets V Southern

Starling, Reed V Turnage, Mays

Then there is returning Tiger Brine

Could go either way

Reply #679698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West v Norwood an interesting one too. Last years top 4 play each other in 2 games this week.

Reply #679709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The lack of respect shown to West men is puzzling. Exactly same Australian content with arguably 2 better imports. You don't win a premiership by luck.

Reply #679710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West barely beat an under strength Eagles in R1. Too old.

Reply #679720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Yup, no respect.

Reply #679725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West still favourites until proven otherwise.

Reply #679760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oldham was special last year, way too early to say new guy is better. Not too hard to be better than Harold but he played his role, should have cost his team a championship with his meltdown vs north.

Reply #679981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Centrals and Woodville will be interesting as well with a bit of animosity between two teams.

Reply #679982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there still animosity? Haven't all the Centrals guys left Woodville now?

Reply #679989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One left to woodville with just weeks to go before season started despite pledging loyalty.

Reply #679997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who was that??

Reply #680014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ridgeway averaged around 13pts 9rebs off the bench last year if I'm not mistaken. Won FG% and was 2nd in Offensive Rebounding which is far from terrible stats.

Reply #680023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just saying that Harold was only really good for crashing offensive boards and putbacks hence those stats. Had no other part of offence to his game and committed a lot of silly fouls. I know offensive rebounding is a skill but would like to see an import have a more overall game.

Reply #680061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He gave them what they needed. Oldham did a lot, Thomas & West both capable & Ridgeway filled the gaps. He wasn't multi skilled but he played his role well.

Reply #680063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My point, role player, if new import can come in and be more than that he's better.

Reply #680101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, which makes them title favourites.

Reply #680113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course west is title favourites. Win GF with no Harold against the dream team and is even stronger this year. Southern close second favourite with stars everywhere.

Hard to read Forestville yet until team is together but I'm thinking too three if DJ plays.

Norwood and North 4/5. Other imports are catching if not matching Starling and CJ is good but not fully fit. Bench is very thin with lots of kids whose bodies won't cope with the older teams

Reply #680132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At Wayville, Nate Garth was two assists off a triple double, but shot 5 of 23, which made Forestvilles import who went 11-32 look efficient. Eagles could use their 36ers in asap after going down by 13.

Forestvilles twin towers in the ladies team went a combined 7 of 31, and the Eagles were definitely not looking "stronger, wiser, happier and more competitive than ever before" in a 22 point loss. Hope to see Liv back to her best soon.

Reply #680266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will Mrs Garth stop posting on this forum, I'm sure she's very proud of her son no matter how many bricks he put up.

Reply #680284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who won North vs Southern men?

Reply #680295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers won by 34.

Reply #680296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern women lose GF rematch!

Reply #680378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow were North men missing players? Can't imagine Southern being that good.

Reply #680503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North had their main guys

Reply #680634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess Reed is out of shape. Once he's in shape they still have the best import duo in the league. West favourites now but would still have North second.

Reply #680638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do West become favourites when Southern just demolished a top 3 team?

Reply #680640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West premiers & North minor premiers in 2017. Southern might have gotten lucky to beat one but West have two solid victories already. They have to be favourites.

Reply #680648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I should say too West & North arguably better than last year too. Tigers have a couple wins but their new core is largely unproven & no 36ers to bail them out this year.

Reply #680649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very lucky to beat two of last years top 5 by 30 plus?

Reply #680670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North Southern Highlights

https://www.facebook.com/southerntigers.ba/videos/1493261720795642/?t=0

Reply #680673 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Anon #649, you've got to be having a laugh? Southern smacked a depleted Sturt by 30+ and then smacked a full-strength North by 30+ !?!?!

Can't see a team with enough firepower to take down Southern's main four - Johns, Brine, Turnage and Mays. They are all such great players in their own right with their different skill sets and strengths complimenting each other so well. Mays had like 7 incredible dunks last night, Turnage can get to the hoop at will (as does Johns), Brine does a bit of everything while stroking the 3 and Johns runs the team great.

Southern are my call for making the GF...

Reply #680674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Along with who?

Reply #680685 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Not sure yet anon, will need to see a few more games

Reply #680694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North, South, East and West.

Reply #680705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think call it now. If stay healthy no one will come close to Southern. They have great players and are incredibly big and athletic. Dean can take rest of season off and they still win

Reply #680718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Totally agree with cavolo, southern are so stacked this season. will take an almighty effort to stop them offensively.

Reply #680722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I haven't seen Southern yet but I just can’t see them competing with Teys, Doyle, DJ.

After watching Legan on the weekend, I think West are improved & im not sure I’d have Tigers favourites over them either.

Reply #680741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern has 2 imports plus 3 Tigers Juniors in Brandon Brine (returning ex OS), Sam Johns and Hamish Staude for their starters that just have chemistry already. Same will be said about Forestville with 3 Sixers on board. Could be a great battle with the top 4 this season. Bring it on !

Reply #680746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wait until you see Southern - Teys and Doyle are not better than Southern equivalents and DJ is always a mystery as to who turns up.

Southern have more fire power

Reply #680753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would their Southern equivalents be Staude & Johns?

Reply #680755 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

How long is Daniel Goodluck out injured? Looks like North need him.

Reply #680860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goodluck apparently didn't make the squad at North.

Reply #680872 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Badluck

Reply #680873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure he'd make 30 points difference.

Weren’t people here saying Reed was better than Miller? No chance I’d say. Poor recruiting by North despite people saying it’s the best import duo in the league.

Reply #680875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thi k you'll find Reed fell in their lap rather than them recruiting him.

Reply #680878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently Miller got a long term injury which is why he is not back

Reply #680903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fine not to get Miller but why go for Reed who is out of shape & questionable character with an interesting history.

Reply #680906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is the link between Reed and Starling

http://bcuathletics.com/news/2008/4/17/men_s_basketball_inks_five_during_late_signing_period.aspx?path=mbball

Reply #680917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think if you search CJs name you can find some more interesting articles about his college career.

Reply #680925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He'll get into shape soon hopefully for north, then lookout. Everyone worked out Miller just jacked up shots at will, cj will find players.

Reply #680935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reed played for Sturt a few years ago so check out his contribuition from then when he was fit

Reply #680938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He had 26, 23,18 & 27 in the finals series. Better than his regular season numbers but hardly dominant. I dare say the quality of the league & imports is better now than in 2015. Do we really think him getting in shape is worth 30+?

Reply #680942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rumours have it that Brine is on $1000 a game. Is he with that?

Reply #680951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure he'd be 'with it', but doubt even Southern's manic spending to win a championship reaches that far.

Reply #680952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's 'only’ $18k so it would be close. Heard Norwood offered $15k.

Reply #680955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Southern have offered that much for the kid - wonder why?

What does the program offer the kid? Why would the program be forced to spend so much money on a kid at this level? A former junior?

Reply #680966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The answer to above is MONEY!!

In the long run this type of crazy spending is not in the best interests of basketball in the state

Reply #680978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the spending is true & not just a figment of a Hoops posters imagination. I suspect it's the latter.

Reply #680980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its true!

Reply #680982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CJ on 30+, youre dreaming!!! Can get a decent nbl player for that and get dirt cheap import then.
Need him to step up in finals, miller didn't.

Reply #680985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry - I was anon who asked if CJ getting fit is worth 30+. I meant in terms of results from Saturday, not $30k!

Regardless of which question you're thinking of, I don't think CJ is worth 30 points, or 30K.

Reply #680995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phew, fell off chair thinking CJ was worth 30K!

Reply #681163 | Report this post

JohnJames  
Years ago

how is it bad having imports or spending money on people to play for hoops at this level?

Reply #681171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not bad if it's within the clubs means. If it comes at the expensive of their juniors via high fees etc then it’s counter productive.

Reply #681172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its great having great imports, hell, lets get Lebron, but with sponsors being limited that aint gonna happen. Most imports come here cheap hoping to move onto Seabl and then maybe Nbl. Others come here just for an experience to play overseas and then go to another country, a paid holiday basically.
But if clubs keep trying to outdo each other then the smaller clubs will either fail or go bankrupt. And theres always the talk of juniors propping up seniors, most clubs deny that though.

Reply #681174 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:58 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754