Isaac
Years ago

Breakers retain Abercrombie and Ili

The New Zealand Breakers have made their first Free Agency moves this off-season, re-signing Tom Abercrombie and Shea Ili on multi-year deals.

They join Alex Pledger as contracted players for the 2018/19 season, with Abercrombie signing on for another three years, while Ili re-signed for a further two seasons.

New Club owner Matt Walsh said both were priorities as the club looks to build their roster for next season.

"We are delighted to announce that Tommy and Shea are both returning to the club for next season on multi-year deals. Both have been a huge part of the history of the club and both have so much to offer us in the years ahead.
Solid signings!

Topic #42945 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

Not sure about the wisdom of giving Abercrombie a three year contract but suspect there is a bit of a PR move there after the shock Henare exit.

No doubt Ili would've been offered 3 years too so interesting he only signed for two years.

Reply #679531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Abercrombie is too much in a comfort zone.

Where is the development? Does he work on any aspects of his game during the off season?

Reply #679536 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Abercrombie is far from the worst player on the roster or SF in the league so not sure why the animosity. He could have pissed off to Europe years ago so glad the club is rewarding his loyalty with a long term deal.

Reply #679537 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Does Abercrombie have to be constantly improving to be worth a long-term deal? If he's a steady, useful part of a team, with skills for both ends of the floor, what's wrong with having that locked into your rotation? Doesn't hurt your signings going forward. Doesn't hurt your reputation with fans. If it's a seriously back-loaded contract, sure, but there's no indication that it is or that he could expect that.

Reply #679539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sure but he can still improve and what I and others are saying is he could be a lot better and it's frustrating not seeing him reach his potential.

Reply #679540 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Abercrombie seemed to plateau in his mid-20s. Very disappointing to see that. Unless there's an injury, there's no excuse for a player in their physical prime to not improve

Reply #679546 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I've been saying for years that he has underdelivered

Reply #679548 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Depends how much you are comfortable paying a 33 year old, and how accurate your crystal ball is.

Reply #679549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do we assume that all players continue to improve in a linear manner until they hit their peak in late 20s and then fall precipitously in the 30s?

Maybe Tom absolutely reached his "potential". Isn't his "potential" just what you think he should be?

Maybe it's those of us that sit outside the sport and watch with only armchair knowledge that can't make accurate player assessments. Maybe it's us that are not the experts and it's us that need to adjust our mental models and modify our opinions based on what is actually happening not what we wish would happen.

I'm comfortable saying that Tom Abercrombie is who he is. NZB would know exactly what they are signing up for.

Reply #679557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love the way he plays, does things you don't get stats for, plays both ends. Shot fell away towards seasons end around his child berth but it’ll be back. Great signing.
Illi also an excellent signing.

Reply #679562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh he had a child. Didn't know that.

Reply #679566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Abercrombie, Blanchfield, Coenraad, Weigh. All similar players who had so much potential then reached their mid 20's and haven’t improved since.

Reply #679570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sometimes I think the NBL should rename itself to the NBPL. P for Passive. So many players in it seem too comfortable, chilling out and being too passive. Good list above.

Reply #679575 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Yes there are a lot of players who should have been great but never became it. Jason Cadee is another who springs to mind. This is why I don't fight against the idea of adding more imports. There are so many aussies and kiwis in the league just coasting along and if the league is going to continue to improve they need a fire lit under them.

Having said that, the signing makes sense. He's one of the best kiwis in the league (which I don't think says much, but it is the Breakers after all), he's a little bit of a draw card at home, does the little things, and is very serviceable.

Reply #679593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Abercrombie was excellent last season and the first half of this season. He has half a bad season and he's now an underachiever? Pretty sure the guy has started on as many championship teams as anyone in league history, along with likes of Ricky Grace, Mika Vukona and Damian Martin.

Reply #679618 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Ok Abercrombie is a year older than Creek but during the Cedric Jackson era of the Breakers you'd struggle to find anyone that would choose to sign Creek over Abercrombie but now it would be completely the opposite.

Abercrombie I thought had the potential to be world class and I was oooking forward to seeing him in WC and Olympics but yes he seems way too passive.

A New Zealand Breakers legend and will get his jersey retired and will hold many club records but those records won't be as difficult to beat as they should be.

The Abercrombie signing feels like a case of better to have him playing for us as he will be good ranger than against us where he could kill you.

Ili makes sense also and I don't blame him for 2 years only as if he doesn't get a starting gig then maybe that will affect his attitude, if I'm not mistaken he was an all star 5 at Asia cup and NZNBL MVP when he has started so unless they get a full on stud they should let him start

Reply #679638 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Abercrombie is 30 and Creek is only 25.

Reply #679645 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

My apologies anon, I thought I heard commentators say he was the captain at 28 years old

Reply #680000 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:36 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754