Trira
Years ago

Rough Play

It was disappointing to see the lack of self control on the court last night. It contributed to us losing the game in my opinion. Don't the boys know it is one of Melbournes game tactics to stir up the players into creating fights and then fouls. They did in in game 1, (Deng/Doyle), they tried it in game 2, luckily the ref's were on top of it and it didn't work and they did it very successfully last night. (Soby/Drimic).
Focus on the prize boys and do what Joel and Ben do when opposition try to stir them up. LAUGH AT THEM.!!!!
By the way I don't think Soby headbutted. My TV showed forehead to forehead and Soby trying to get away when surrounded by ten opposition players...

Topic #42953 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anderson put wittle sobey down with half an arm then sobey ran away.

U are correct though Adelaide get caught up in the battle and lose the war

Reply #680047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talk to Joey Wright about how he installs discipline upon this young team. I dont think he has any control, in how they argue or what they say in the media.

Reply #680052 | Report this post

Trira  
Years ago

AQhhh...so the foul should have been on Anderson...that explains it.

Reply #680081 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Tai Wesley doesn't get ejected for his head butt in front of Mayberry but they couldn't wait to give Sobey the flick. Sums up why Joey gets rightfully frustrated.

Reply #680084 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Tai Wesley (Melbourne) - Headbutting Adelaide's Nathan Sobey in first quarter. ONE game suspension down to $1,000 fine with an early plea.

Casey Prather (Melbourne) - Headbutting Adelaide's Nathan Sobey, at half time. ONE game suspension down to $1,000 fine with an early plea.

Nathan Sobey (Adelaide) - Headbutting Melbourne's Casey Prather at half time. ONE game suspension down to $1,000 fine with an early plea.

Reply #680085 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

The following players also received fines for engaging in a melee at half time. They can accept reduced fines with an early plea.

ADELAIDE
Nathan Sobey ($500 down to $375)
Anthony Drmic ($1,000 down to $750)
Shannon Shorter ($1,000 down to $750)
Majok Deng ($1,000 down to $750)

MELBOURNE
Craig Moller ($500 down to $375)
Dave Anderson ($1,000 down to $750)
Casper Ware ($500 down to $375)
David Barlow ($500 down to $375)

Reply #680086 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Melbourne has also been fined a total of $1,125 for two separate incidents involving Carrick Felix. This includes a $375 fine for engaging in a melee at half time and an additional $750 fine for unsportsmanlike behaviour after the game.

Felix has been banned from sitting on the Melbourne United team bench area for games four and five and must not enter the playing area at any stage until the game concludes and all formalities are finished.

Reply #680087 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Yet Sobey still sat out a half of the 3rd final while Wesley was allowed to go on his merry way.

Reply #680088 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

What sort of penalty does Mayberry get? He decided that game off his own back.

Reply #680091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So effectively according to the 'headbutting' penalties, the 3 incidents were exactly the same. Yet Sobey was ejected and Melbourne were given the benefits of an unsportsmanlike foul to begin the second half. Meanwhile, Prather and Wesley were penalised..... nothing!
Gee, that had no impact on a 3 point match

Reply #680092 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Melbourne takes out game 1 Adelaide takes out game 2 Vaughan Mayberry takes out game 3. It's one all going into game 4!

Reply #680094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give it a rest Udog. You're a sore loser.

Reply #680095 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

So is there any explanation from the nbl as to why Sobey was ejected but Wesley wasn't, 'the refs didn’t see it’ is clearly not a possible defence because the video shows it was right in front of Mayberry and he was looking at it.

Reply #680096 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Because we're sore losers

Reply #680097 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

Hang on, I missed that Prather got charged with haedbutting too which also would require an explanation as to why he wasn't also ejected? Again, the defence can’t be that the refs didn’t see it as they ejected Sobey off of video review? Plenty to explain here still for the NBL, with these rulings, they are essentially admitting the Sixers got screwed over with the ejection of Sobey.

Reply #680098 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Get rid of Mayberry and fine him too.

Reply #680100 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"I missed that Prather got charged with haedbutting too which also would require an explanation as to why he wasn't also ejected? "

The refs are incompetent. That's the explanation.

Reply #680109 | Report this post

Trira  
Years ago

Seems like the referees can make unfair decisions (Sobey/Wesley) without any recourse. There should be a penalty in these situations where obvious bad decisions give or may give one team a definite advantage.
Perhaps an off court adjudicator who can reverse a bad decision might be a good option in a final series.

Reply #680111 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

They actually had the half time break to review everything which makes it even more dodgy.

Reply #680118 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Vaughan Mayberry, -- unfortunately IMHO he is closing out his long officiating career as vast disappointment. Saw Wesley contact Sobey, deemed it unnecessary to call as there was "no disadvantage or advantage".

You will also see Vaughan almost automatically cover his mike on many many occasions. This is not a good look.

Deemed it necessary to emphatically call the Drimic/Goulding contact from the far side of the court, without any personal vision of the gap between the players, and without checking with the the trail ref on that side - who had full vision of the contact and had not called anything, but would have called a flop in Goulding - which is why Vaughn was unable to talk the crew into making his call intentional , unsportsmanlike or a disqualifying act, as he did try to do.

Then hes trongly argued that "Sobey had to go" in the ejection discussion.

Crouch/Smyth discort/disrespect was an open secret in the league in the 80's, but it was never allowed to affect a finals series, shame this has been left to fester.

Vaughn needs a holiday away. He's not corrupt nor incompetent, it just a personal bias which shows as a failure to give the benefit of any doubt whenever thoseparticular persons are involved, and against 2 particular 36ers (and others in other teams) - that he vehemently denies, but which is fairly obvious to the other officials.

he will officiate again tomorrow as to replace him (and only him) is now polically impossible

Sad sad sad.

Reply #680134 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

I dont really talk about what happens during games (i prefer off court stuff personally). However I have seen enough of Adelaide and their undisciplined ways. It starts with Joey Wright. The man needs to chill out and stop playing the victim card. Does it too often and am pretty sick of it now. He obviously has beef with hoe the NBL is run. Maybe he should just go.

Reply #680137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just to be accurate, on the Drmic / Goulding transition foul Mayberry was the new lead official, Aylen was centre bench side and Reid was the trail referee on the ball carrier.

The centre offical was in the back court helping the trail with the ball carrier. Mayberry was the only referee with vision of the contact.

If your going to try and pot the guy maybe you could get the actual mechanics of the call and what actually happened correct.

Reply #680138 | Report this post

Trira  
Years ago

You're obviously a Melbourne fan Haz. Maybe you should look at the flopper mentality that Dean Vickermann encourages in his team. Joey Wright has performed well under very bias umpiring conditions particularly game #1 and #3. And we almost made it last night even with the bad decisions.
The foul count in game #2 where Melbourne didn't get away with too much flopping and fouling is a good example that this game plan doesn't always work away from Melbourne.
I just hope that fair refereeing is the case in game #4, otherwise it just make the finals series a traversty.

Reply #680139 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Game 3 proved why Joey Wright has been so vocal. Perfect timing in justifying his stace. If you're going to fine people at least you should show their full of shit rather than prove them right.

Reply #680140 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Perth fan (probably makes it worse lol). No, i get what your saying. The point of my post has a lot to do with how Adelaide go about their business in general (not necessarily highlighting last nights game).

For mine, Wright consistently calls out on Melbourne's ownership situation and apparent bias with the NBL. He then goes on a victim mentality which rubs off on his players. Seen it many times before.

Reply #680141 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

"If your going to try and pot the guy maybe you could get the actual mechanics of the call and what actually happened correct."

people have been complaining about the official mechanics in the NBL for quite some time, perhaps if you go and check the visual on the video, you may notice that there is a split second shot from the baseline camera directly back down the court , where you can see Drimic on the right with Goulding approching on the left of the frame, with Aylen clearly visible in the far background directly in line with the "gap" .

Vaughn may well have "officially" had responsabilty for the entire half court, but he was still un-sighted in respect of that gap.

But then why should ref's watch the gap when they just need to hit their marks on the court and stay there for the play to come to them. ?

Haz
A few minutes ago
17:04 24 Mar 18

Reply #680141
re: Rough Play
The point of my post has a lot to do with how Adelaide go about their business in general (not necessarily highlighting last nights game).

For mine, Wright consistently calls out on Melbourne's ownership situation and apparent bias with the NBL. He then goes on a victim mentality which rubs off on his players. Seen it many times before."

I agree 100% , it would be better if Wright could just let the ownership "issue" go, and coach that would be far better all round.

Reply #680143 | Report this post

Trira  
Years ago

No don't agree Haz. Joey has everyright to feel hard done by in this series and even in the Perth game were very lucky to finish in game 2, but good games and reasonably fair reffing.
What I don't like in NBL basketball in particular is encouraging dirty play by a few coaches and the referees supposed inability to keep a lid on it.
Look at the NBA...tech fouls all over the place for flopping and foul mouthing.

Reply #680144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a breakers fan who is rooting for 36ers

36ers hard done by Refs last night

still joey and Trevor are the biggest moaners and constantly go on about refs calls

If there is two things I hate about our nbl
1) we have shut big guys down by calling far too much contact
2) we have not shut down moaning coaches

Reply #680165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats fan here and going for Sixers too.

Melb without Felix aren't a title team but are getting one anyway due to reffing. Anything 'subjective' goes Utd's way.

Reply #680169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns fan here. Sobey initiates the contact and flails his body around, and constantly gets the calls. It is not good basketball, it is being bailed out. He is a little short between the ears, just like Drmic, and that ultimately will be what brings Adelaide undone. But you can cry about the refs, LK, team roster composition, etc. for another 12 months like you are justified if that helps you sleep at night. But if you want the true reason why you are down 2-1, just look in the mirror.

Reply #680183 | Report this post

Trira  
Years ago

Anonymous you're talking in riddles. If you want to talk about flailing bodies, just look at Goulding..he's a master..but if they get away with it they'll keep doing it.
I agree with Breakers Anon, (1) Hodgson usually has 2-3 fouls in the 1st quarter playing in NBL games, can play a full game for the Boomers, maybe 2-3 fouls for full game.
(2) you are never going to stop coaches complaining, just look at every other league across the world.

Reply #680308 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I love those "I'm a Breakers fan/ Wildcats fan her/ Cairns fan here" posts one after the other and obviously from completely different people.

Reply #680313 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Cairns fan here... how ya garn

Reply #680315 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

The other guy said he was following the 6ers. So C'mon Manu...

Reply #680316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers fans implying perth got the calls in that series.... haha you guys deserve to lose

Reply #680356 | Report this post

Coach Al  
Years ago

I coach kids - u12 VC, domestic, school teams and in private academy setting. No one seems to conceive that the complaining antics of every adult player, fan, coach against every single ref call going against them/their team is seriously affecting the behaviour of very young players. I see that every single game now. Kids as young as 9 contesting travel calls, coaches getting mad at refs, parents hurling abuse. Way to set up an example - let the players play, the coaches coach and the refs ref. We all make mistakes.

Reply #680364 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

The NBL do nothing to address the obvious lack of quality and consistency of the officiating. There is obviously no way coaches can discuss issues behind the scenes with league officials (not just Wright). The refs are getting worse not better. The buck stops with the NBL.

Reply #680383 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

This problem has festered and now it's blowing up. Start at the top a let it filter down.

Reply #680384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not "blowing up", it's just that Sixers fans are acting like children, much like their coach does.

Reply #680385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coach Al - Couldn't agree more.

First time a coach des-respects a ref's call, give him a Tech.

I'm over it as well.

Reply #680666 | Report this post

Snooch  
Years ago

If you think kids are being influenced by nbl teams, try watching curry and the golden stste warriors. Think they're probably influenced a bit more by their (and other nba stars) petulance than anything happening here.

Reply #680678 | Report this post

Trira  
Years ago

Have to agree with coach Al. My children played district BB 25 yrs ago...parents no different then, but players and coaches did not contest refs decisions.
NBA players and coaches contests decisions, but if they go too far, they are tech fouled. 2x and you're out of the stadium.

Reply #681157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Udog this year the NBL is doing a lot in regards to referee standards and development.

Can they do more, yes but they need to invest more resources to do that.

The issue they currently have is the lack of development for 10+ years by the previous NBL structure, BA and the State bodies. The referees in the NBL now just haven't got the base of development. The NBL teams are also deeper than they have been for a long time, and the behaviour issues mentioned here already (flopping and verbal) are things the NBL and Clubs need to be on board with as well.

The depth of refereeing can't happen over night its a generational thing.

The NBL and other Elite competitions are suffering now because of the mismanagement of others.

Reply #681188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

44 free throws to 1 in the first half. Refs are doing fine. Sixers fan here

Reply #681191 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:00 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754