26k ratings figure for game 3 on Fox Sports 503

Topic #42955 | Report this topic

ME  
Years ago

what else was on at the same time?

Reply #680040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if competing with 2 more popular teams in the away city was a good idea.

Reply #680042 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Not to make excuses but I'm surprised it did that well really. Essendon vs Crows AFL Round 1 was on at the same time as was I think the test cricket Aus vs South Africa and there was probably a rugby game on at the same time too.

Reply #680045 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Did Adelaide United have a game on? (That's right a soccer team called United. Imagine that).

Reply #680057 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

United, Crows and Sixers all playing at the same time

Reply #680071 | Report this post

And nobody gave a shit about the Adelaide Thirtyshitters.

In other news, the sun came up today.

Reply #680090 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

This series deserves better. I dont care about what else is on. This series deserves at least 50k each game.

It needs to be followed, absorbed and entrenched in the sporrs media market. It has a strong place to be there. The series has been great. Australian media has no clue. Give this sport some love and more people will watch. So many stories, yet hardly any thing said about it.

Reply #680133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everything was on last night: A-League, AFL, NBL, NRL, Super Rugby, V8 Supercars, group 1 night racing. Also Aus cricket team playing overseas. Every Fox channel live packed out.

Of the above three involved Adelaide teams.

Of the above five were hosted in Melbourne.

Huge time of the year with everything being on - whether season ending or starting.

Reply #680155 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Free to air direct competition:

7 - AFL live 493,000
ABC - Gardening Australia 384,000 followed by Harrow 473,000
9 - NRL live 396,000

These were programs I found listed in top 20, 5 cities aggregate, that were scheduled in the 7:30-9:30 time slot in Sydney on Friday night. Taken from tvtonight.com.au

Reply #680158 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

worth noting the Adelaide AFL viewing figures were apparently down on last year, even though Adelaide were playing in last night's game

Reply #680159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow WTF, people still watch ABC and Gardening Australia.

Reply #680168 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Yeah it feels weird to say we have such a great grand final series but less than say 75k Australians are even watching it.

Fascinated how many eyes are watching in NZ with super rugby on at same time

Reply #680268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah it feels weird to say we have such a great grand final series but less than say 75k Australians are even watching it.
That's because of the genius decision making to have it on a Friday night

Reply #680269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So when are they supposed to play? Sat night this time of year is packed out too. They are doing well having one of Fri/Sat and the Sunday spot.

Reply #680279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Friday night is the worst night to play a professional basketball game in Melbourne, because all the juniors are playing!!

Reply #680298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone I know got rid Foxtel and all watch it on the net, Same with the afl. It would be good to find out those viewers.

Reply #680300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lots of people Chanel change channels continuously from one sport to another, how does this get measured.

Reply #680302 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Its interesting that the AFL and NRL, and maybe even the A-League get thier grand final all to themselves without any real competition. In fact during the AFL and NRL grand finals, other channels put rubbish programs on as they know they will take a massive ratings hit going against them.

Its a shame the NBL not only doesn't get that luxury, but its made worse because its going up against pretty much ALL the big sporting competitions at the same time this time of year.

Maybe they should re-think how the grand final is scheduled after all. You cant win,but going up against this much other sporting events at the same time is ridiculous. Its absolutely had a negative affect on the series. Living in Perth, ive heard basically nothing on the GF in the media at all unless its from the NBL facebook page, and that's sad. This lack of coverage has really hurt their ability to get ratings.

Reply #680359 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I agree Haz there is just too much going on at the moment sports wise especially here in SA with the footy starting up again.

I said in another thread I'd like to see the NBL start the season about a month earlier. Yes it means going up against AFL/NRL finals in September but I think that's preferable to the GF series being swamped by AFL/NRL Round 1 hype.

Reply #680370 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Yep, I remember that post, Zodiac. I initially disagreed with that as I thought the NBL would actually get no hype whatsoever when they start their season, going up against the AFL and NRL finals. But in hindsight I reckon it would make more sense doing it that way. Fact is, the NBL will never get a good run in the media anyway.

Would now probably prefer a slow start to the NBL season and finish on a high with a well covered GF, than how it is now, with the GF almost invisible.

Or perhaps they just need to reduce the length of the season by a week...

Reply #680373 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It's harder to do now though with those two weeks lost during the season to FIBA qualifying games. If they went back to playing more midweek games could be done but TV doesn't like those games hence the sandwiched Fri-Sun schedule.

There has been whispers that Channel 7 might be getting involved next season and as the ABC have given the NBL the finger with delaying Friday night games to 12:30 am now and SBS not having much pull moving to 7mate might give the league the exposure it deserves.

I reckon getting Demetriou on the board and his history of working closely with Channel 7 also strengthens those whispers.

Reply #680376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game 4 is on Fox Sports More (507) due to live programming being on every other channel.

Reply #680380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was a big mistake not finishing up before the footy season. I have only watched one or two of the grand final games. I tuned into the footy instead on Friday night.

1. No FTA telecast makes it harder on Fridays.

2. Clashing with big AFL games in the first round is a bad idea

3. Personally starting to get sick of all the controversy after each NBL game around so many terrible decisions by refs and officials. It's beyond a joke now and they're losing fans from it.

In Thursday night's AFL game a few controversial 50m penalties were called, the AFL came our before Fridays game and said "we stuffed up, 2 of them were incorrectly called". On Friday nights game the umpiring was pretty good with minimal mistakes or poor calls. After the match on the telecast they even had a new informal press conference with the umpires who went over a couple of the controversial calls and explained their reasoning behind them. Was great to watch. Poor decisions will happen in every sport, but the NBL just has so many terrible decisions that it gets painful to watch.

Reply #680382 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"a well covered GF, than how it is now, with the GF almost invisible"

I don't think this year's series can be described as invisible. I think it's more as described by a poster above. It's there for people to watch if they want to but most people prefer to watch the wealth of other sports on offer at this time of the year.

Even so, how well viewed was last year's series, relative to this year? Have you compared the ratings figures?

The crowds to this year's series have been excellent, I thought. The 57K viewing figure for last Sunday's game on Foxtel was touted as almost the record for NBL on Foxtel. The Adelaide newspaper and radio coverage has been good, with daily stories. I don't watch evening news bulletins so I can't comment on visibility there.

I suspect NBL will be pretty happy with this year's series, its coverage and some of the viewing figures.

Reply #680597 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

I watched a sports bulletin on ABC24 on Saturday morning, and it was a comprehensive sports report, covering many sports played on Friday night. Except for the NBL that is. That got ignored.

Was also ignored on Weekend Sunrise too. I suspect that if there wasnt so much sport on then the NBL might have been covered? Agree that the coverage is there is you look for it, but I want it to be in everyone's faces, like it is with cricket, football, soccer.

Thats not to say it didnt get mentioned in other reports, but the two that I watched failed to mention it.

Personally i think the Fox ratings have been very good, all things considering, and with NBL.tv a very reliable alternative now.

Reply #680643 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

the ABC have given the NBL the finger with delaying Friday night games to 12:30
Given that the ABC wasn't airing any NBL games at all last year, I'm not sure how this move could be described as "giving the finger".

Reply #680646 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Because they were showing games earlier in the season at an earlier timeslot around 10:30pm, around the time the playoffs started out to 12:30am timeslot.

Reply #680650 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

...but I want it to be in everyone's faces, like it is with cricket, football, soccer.
I think you have to be realistic. The interest in the NBL is absolutely dwarfed by AFL, etc.

Reply #680654 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

I am realistic. Ok maybe the league wont ever get shoved in peoples faces like AFL etc, but it could definately have had a lot more coverage than its currently had. Especially since there are 2 new teams in key markets with ideal timezones. And no Perth or NZ being one of them for the first time in 8 years makes for a refreshing change.

Intetest should be higher IMO. Not AFL levels but higher than what we've been given.

Reply #680916 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:01 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754