Anonymous
Years ago

Are wins possible without ref criticism?

I've been watching a lot of sport lately AFL, NBL, NBA etc. and noticed that there seems to be so much criticism of refs, conspiracy theories, corruption claims when a fans team loses. I’m not saying it is just the butthurt 36ers fan base as it went the other way in Game 2 but it also seems to be across the board in all sports even though 36ers have been a blatant case of whinge.

I don’t recall 5-10 years ago when supporters would blame refs for losses. Are people just more skeptical of refs or less willing to accept a loss?

Topic #42961 | Report this topic

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

People seem to be getting more and more entitled and pigheaded, but also mediums for sports consumption and interaction saturate our lives (or at least have the potential to saturate our lives if we seek them out). Facebook, Twitter, Insta, fan forums, general messaging facilities like Facebook chat/texting, increased broadcast (so many sports are being broadcast either on TV or on the internet because a broadcast no longer requires ridiculously expensive equipment). It's easier than ever to interact with other fans and have a circle jerk, whinging about this, that or the other.

People are becoming more precious and generally soft

Reply #680211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unlikely to be corruption theories in the NBL sorry.

Reply #680215 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

...and everyone has access to 4,000 instant replays from as many angles, while the ref generally has to make do with what his/her instincts tell them. Virtually every spectator has a better view of a game than a ref, believe me. I get closer to the action than most (too darn close at times) and for a large percentage of the game I'm not even sure where the ball is, never mind who is doing what and to whom and when.

Reply #680217 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

True, good point Gordon. The development of broadcast technologies applies to camera angles and replay too.

You're the snapper for Taipans home games, right?

Reply #680220 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Yep, and I still get the job done, even though I get trodden underfoot by everyone from the ushers to the mascot to the centres who are traveling at 500kph :) Torrey Craig was lethal - and he was on our side! :)

Reply #680222 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I definitely didn't appreciate Torrey and how athletic he was in the two years he was with us. And that's saying something, because I was getting on Fearne for not showing him enough love. Watched his top 10 dunks for the Taipans vid on YouTube and man he carved up.

I'm actually familiar with your work and you do a good job, Gordon. Dedicated to your craft and it shows

Reply #680226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any links or anything to Gordon's work? Thanks

Reply #680227 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I am ashamed to say that there are many Sixers' fans that are so entrenched in the us vs the world attitude that almost every loss we were robbed.

There are many many examples.

One classic one was a few years ago when Gary Ervin kneed Goulding in the man parts.

Whilst many understandably rejoiced in the act, many went on to suggest Goulding faked it or somehow smashed's his man parts onto Ervin's knee (I don't even want to visualise that).

Ervin got suspended and this forum went off.

Game 3 of GF against the Wildcats. Redhage goaded Rhys Carter into an unsportsmanlike foul when the Cats were on a roll.

Sixers' fans howled for blood, all the time forgetting that that essentially a 2 point play (as the Cats turned the ball over in the extra possession) was miniscule compared to the 34 point loss.

I for one take the loss on the Chin and get revenge in the next game.

Reply #680229 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

http://www.gordong.com

Gordon is well respected in Cairns

Reply #680233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks mate

Reply #680234 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Anon227 - www.gordong.com

Reply #680235 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

*snap*

:)

Reply #680237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Instant replay definitley hurts refs. I also suspect their instructions and what must be emphasis on things to call get in the way. There is not time to think when reffing, the moment you have to think about it, problems

Reply #680256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not one to usually bag the refs but so far this finals series all 3 games officiating has seemed very one sided towards the home team. It's the finals, it's a very heated series so I feel the refs shouldn't be ejecting anyone unless they are 100% sure it's warranted. You can't blame Adelaide fans for being upset when 3 headbutts were thrown and only an Adelaide player got ejected.

Refereeing basketball at elite levels must be so hard, the pace and quickness for what essentially can be a very tricky tacky sport can be impossible to see. The whole flopping thing has made it even harder for refs, I wouldn't be a ref if you offered me a million $.

I know how hard it is to be a ref but they really need to a down on being influenced by the home team crowd, it's starting to stand out like dogs balls.

Reply #680262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a neutral I'm sickened by the refs' homerisms. Every NBL game you know the home team is winning whether through good play or bad play plus refs caving to the home crowd. FFS be impartial.

Reply #680281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To me it seems sometimes that if they haven't blown the whistle in a while they go looking for a call, sort of like a player who hasn't shot in a few possessions. I don't envy refs generally. Most can at least talk to players and coaches and explain calls even if they don't agree. The worst are the ones that just ignore everyone. Refs are human and a bet a lot they sometimes didn't blow the whistle, but there's no my bad in umpiring. One day robots will do it and the old timers will reminisce to the good old days where there was human involvement.

Reply #680283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's just the salty Adelaide fans.
Joey Wright is a flog

Reply #680293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, many neutrals on here have serious issues with this GF series also.

But a lot of anti-Sixers posters who are trolling incessantly go on about salty fans etc. Grow up.

Reply #680294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But a lot of anti-Sixers posters who are trolling incessantly go on about salty fans etc. Grow up.
All the salty Sixer fans who go on about everything but the dirty, flopping play of your team, grow up

Reply #680306 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Refs have copped as long as I can remember. Not sure you've been avidly watching sport if you think otherwise. They do cop it a little more now though due to replays, but also because of so many rule changes to "improve" the game only to really just confuse the coaches, players and refs alike.

Reply #680307 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

What Ricey said.

As others posted earlier in the thread, people's whinges are now read by a wider audience, because of social media. It used to be just your mates at the pub/clubrooms/tea room at work on Monday, who got to feed off each other's irrational rants. Now the group is a large as whatever online groups you belong too - thousands. So it seems louder and more strident but it's ever been thus.

We also see things done by players that we didn't 20+ years ago, because there are more cameras, from more angles and with more replays. Players in pro sports have always gotten away with flouting rules because refs and umpires usually can't see everything. But now the many eyes of the cameras do see it and it fuels irrational criticism of refs who have only two eyes to watch the entire field of play.

Of course, the fans most vocal in their criticism of refs don't even have two eyes. Just the one.

Reply #680606 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The only sports I watch closely are footy and bball.

No doubt in my mind that the refs have a bigger impact in basketball.

The AFL keeps changing the rules every year, which often leads to initial confusion. And interpretations can change regularly.

But you don't get the same level of home cooking as you do in the NBL (that North vs West Coast prelim in Perth a few years ago notwithstanding). And even if you did, it has a more devastating effect in basketball when players get fouled out unfairly.

Reply #680677 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And the flow on effect is bigger in basketball too, because once the refs have set a certain tone for the game, the players are more forcefully compelled by the circumstances to immediately alter the way they're playing.

It's a serious fault with the NBL. You could say basketball in general, but I don't see the same inconsistencies, crowd influence and occasional incompetence in the NBA.

Reply #680679 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:18 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754