shooter
Years ago

AFL / NBL ??????

If an AFL club was to get involved with nbl basketball I think it would be a bit hypercritical of Kestelman because wasn't one of the main reasons of getting rid of Melbourne Tiger was because kids were playing against Tigers and then couldn't get themselves to barrack for the nbl side the next day.Melbourne United was meant to united Melbourne ( I don't think it has and it never will.) As a St Kilda supporter there is NO WAY known I could support Hawthorn, Essendon or any other AFL team in the nbl If the hawks/dons get an NBL team you will alienate about 1/ 10th of your chances of support

AFL stay out out BASKETBALL

Topic #42964 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

Nice rant there Shooter. Devoid of anything of value, but there were a lot of words. You should be proud.

Reply #680386 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

Pros
1. Automatic fan base
2. Resources already in place ie Payroll, medical staff

Cons.
1. Automatic hate base eg Blues or Hawk supporters won't go for a Essendon team.
2. Not all Essendon members or supporters like basketball.

Big no from me.

Reply #680393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't buy the automatic fan base. Was there an automatic fan base for AFLW or AFLX? People act like the AFL do no wrong and it’s gauranteed success.

Reply #680395 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

I think they will need to have it - but as a necessary evil. - you have Hawthorn v Essendon in an NBL game and you can be certain there will be a lot of interest generated.

Also, you only have to watch pretty much every nbl game on TV and the commentarors will guarentee they will mention the AFL in some capacity. Im sick of it, but that's how it is. An AFL player in the stands will get shown and mentioned. If the AFL want to invest in the NBL there is no stopping them, they are that much bigger than the NBL they can do what they want to it.

Reply #680404 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Probably a little bit critical rather than hypercritical.

Reply #680405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AFL stay OUT.

Also NRL fans will be put off which is half of Australia.

Reply #680436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Already a topic.

Reply #680440 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

NRL fan base is half of Australia??

Not even close.

I live in NRL heartland. On the border of Qld and NSW. Yes state of origin is big. But AFL is almost as big as NRL on the Gold Coast. North coast NSW AFL is a growing force in juniors (part AFL Gold Coast part Northern Rivers). Soccer is growing too. The NRL junior development officers and their school liaison crew are way behind the AFL.

If the NRL can't comfortably hold their greatest asset (in terms of junior development) in one of their heartlands (Qld) how can they have half of the country as their fan base. If the NRL don’t address the loss of their junior base they will eventually become a sport that can only win market share in western Sydney, Brisbane and rural (non-coastal) NSW and Qld.

Reply #680509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Calm down. It wasn't a precise comment just a point being made that NRL supporters who watch NBL will be thinking WTF if the tie-up is really obvious.

Reply #680514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NRL fans should not factor into any decisions. Other sports are actually better off without the support of those bumpkins.

Reply #680557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why? Both AFL and NRL supporters are bogans. Both horrible, stupid sports.

Reply #680562 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Actually, I think basketball needs NRL and AFL fans. The NBL is in their off-season and they have the best resources.

But basketball and AFL have more potential crossover participants due to some similarities in skills and demands of the games.

Reply #680575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I still think you don't just get into bed with one.

Reply #680578 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Its indeed hypocritical given the rationale for removing the Tigers

If a new team started, I'd probably split my time between United's games and theirs (assuming they play Hisense/MCA).

But if it was a team backed by Hawthorn or Collingwood? No dice. Forget it.

Many others would feel the same

Reply #680591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed after thirty years of following the 36ers if the stories of the Crows taking over the club are true then there is one game left of my club for me to follow.

Reply #680658 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

my experience is that AFL is making inroads into Nrl heartland because of parents. mums and dads are waking up to the fact that their kids can get badly injured playing league at a junior level against a bunch of lads rorting the age classifications, whereas AFL is played low/no contact at the lower age groups and soccer is "safer" still.

Reply #680690 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Simple question which hopefully can get a simple answer; St. Kilda and North Melbourne both have won NBL championship (so history) and both have adequate/NBL standard facilities and both have fan bases that are on the lower echelon with fans being more apathetic about those clubs than the sheer hatred of Carlton, Essendon, Collingwood or Hawthorn.

If the NBL was to get into bed with any AFL clubs then surely these would be more favourable?

Also Geelong bringing back the Supercars would be desirable if they could get a stadium that's NBL quality

Reply #680708 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Did the relationship with the Crows help Adelaide with flights and giving the sixers the better seats on the plane for returning home for game 4?

Reply #680740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If the NBL was to get into bed with any AFL clubs then surely these would be more favourable?"

North Melb have been financially propped up by the AFL for many years now. I doubt that entering an additional money-losing venture would be looked upon favourably by the AFL.

Reply #680742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The AFL fly Virgin so unless the 36ers went away from the league carrier Qantas I'm not sure what leverage the Crows would have to get better seats for the players. + its only a 50 min flight, surely it causes no issues. It's not like flying to Perth or NZ

Reply #680743 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:13 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754