Yo Yo
Years ago

Kestleman sat in on press conference Sunday

This article says Larry K was sitting in the press conference on Sunday. If that isn't intimidation towards Joey I don't know what is.

Sorry but I don't know how to do the direct link thing.

https://t.co/o1it84GLPx

Topic #42984 | Report this topic

ME  
Years ago

Lol intimidation? Are you serious? Probably actually wants to get to the bottom of the issue.

Reply #680960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do Adelaide have such a chip on their shoulder?

Reply #680961 | Report this post

Yo Yo  
Years ago

If thats what he wanted to do he could probably call or email Joey and work it out. Instead he sat silently in a corner glaring at him in a situation, as noted by the journalist, that he has never been in before.

Reply #680962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Instead he sat silently in a corner"

As opposed to sitting silently on the podium?

Reply #680964 | Report this post

Yo Yo  
Years ago

The Kestleman experiment is fast unraveling

1) Hawthorn pull out due to governance issues
2) TV numbers aren't on the radar
3) LK sitting in press conferences trying to intimidate people
4) Teams losing more money than ever

Could you imagine David Silver behaving like LK, nope.

Reply #680967 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Worth looking at it from both sides IMO. Joey likely feels like he was hard done by. LK meanwhile has put in millions, would be aware of the NBL-Melbourne concerns, presumably does his best to keep things remotely fair while pumping money into United, and doesn't love the idea of a coach suggesting he's acting improperly.

I doubt very much that the referees are under instruction from the league to favour any one team. Ref favouritism has appeared to favour the home team each game and even despite that, each game has been a decent contest.

Ideally LK would sit in on the conference and then have a polite/friendly word after, say that the refs have a tough job but are an on-going focus for the league, blah blah blah.

Reply #680969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

According to you.

Really? Where is the evidence for this?

Reply #680971 | Report this post

Yo Yo  
Years ago

Simple solution is for LK to hand his MU interest over to Slepoy and focus solely on the league.

I Have also heard that LK doesn't own MU and that the entity still sits with McPeake /Minear and co. Perhaps LK is embarrassed to come forward and declare he doesn't actually own MU after claiming he does, that would make sense.

Reply #680972 | Report this post

Yo Yo  
Years ago

@anon

Go talk to owners and see what the answer are

Blackwell moved on from NZ
36ers looking for bail out
Hawks changing owners
Kings dropping huge cash
Cairns being run tighter each year

None of those things point to a sustainable situation

Reply #680974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That isn't what you said though.

Reply #680977 | Report this post

Yo Yo  
Years ago

you asked for evidence,i gave it to you

Reply #680981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You said teams are losing more money than ever. You then said a few teams have got a few different issues. They aren't the same thing.

Reply #680983 | Report this post

Yo Yo  
Years ago

back to school buddy , teacher is waiting for you

Reply #680984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide need to have a word with Joey. He isn't doing himself or the club which he one day won’t even be apart of any favours. I’m a long time adelaide fan, and this shit is starting to piss me off. If you don’t like the way the league is run go elsewhere or fall in line, or feel free to give back the pay check. Be professional you are representing adelaide the state by just your own agenda.

Reply #680986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh dear.

Reply #680987 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I understand that journalism has evolved and that the job description of local papers is to 'fight' for their teams, but the way this was written is disappointing.

"... for pointing out that the league and Melbourne United are owned by the same man -- Larry Kestelman -- last week.

That is fact".

What a joke. How about if Joey originally said something like, "The refereeing is something I will talk to the NBL about. The NBL and Melbourne United obviously have Larry Kestelman as top brass in both organisations, but hopefully there will be no conflict of interest."

Instead he chose the passive aggressive approach like a child and media/fans appear to be on his side. Crazy

Reply #680988 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

'David Stern' and 'Adam Silver' by the way, Yo Yo

Reply #680990 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Good read though, comprehensive and not as biased as it could have been

Reply #680991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yo Yo then the AFL is dying according to your hyperbole.

A number of AFL Clubs post million dollar loses every year. No club would make money without the TV/AFL handout. AFL owns two clubs and props up two more.

AFL = in trouble using your logic.

Reply #680992 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

If Joey is going to keep acting like an infant then it's understandable to me that daddy needs to stay close at hand.
Seriously, this is a quality league and it's trying to get some traction in a competitive environment for sport. Having the head of the potential champions actively killing media coverage is bullshit.

Reply #680993 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Very unfortunate & extremely unprofessional behaviour for someone in a leadership position. He felt someone is making his life hard & wants to strongly express his displeasure by making other professionals have a hard time too. The emotional intelligence of a moron.

Reply #680996 | Report this post

Don't panic guys, how many years has Joey got left on his contract? Only 4 more years of "I'm not sure" "We'll do our best".

Reply #680998 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I am not sure what Joey is doing actively kills media coverage - in fact, quite the opposite. It is getting people talking, like right now. We are talking more now about 2 sentences Joey repeats than every single thing he has ever said before.

"
Blackwell moved on from NZ
36ers looking for bail out
Hawks changing owners
Kings dropping huge cash
Cairns being run tighter each year
"

These things aren't evidence. Without LK, none of those teams would probably exist right now. The league would have closed for a year at very least. You have to spend money to make money.

Also where is the evidence that 36ers need a buy out? And Kings owners have always said it was going to take a while to turn a profit. None of these things are LK's fault. If anything it has just brought to light problems that were already there and were always going to be there until the league turns the corner with more revenue.

"The Kestleman experiment is fast unraveling

1) Hawthorn pull out due to governance issues
2) TV numbers aren't on the radar

Could you imagine David Silver behaving like LK, nope.

"

Hawthorn actually explicitly said they remain very interested. I expect if United ownership changes, they'll be in.

TV numbers actually are on the radar. The first 2 games of the NBL Finals got 100,000 more viewers than the finals last year. The latter games have dropped viewership but only due to the competition with AFL.

I think it's a bit far fetched to say that Kestleman was trying to "intimidate" anyone.

And I am very sure there are more teams in better positions now than there were before LK got involved. LK knows how to run a business.

Reply #681000 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Let's just get a few things straight.

1. LK has been great for the NBL.

(I was a Tigers member for 13 years pre United, I volunteered for the club, travelled interstate to watch them, etc. Unlike most other Tigers people, I've maintained some good graces and kept following the sport).

2. United hasn't been favoured by the refs in this series any more than Adelaide has. Most neutral fans are saying this.

3. Joey Wright is fast headed towards all league wanker territory.

4. Vickerman is all class.

5. There's no reason to think (3) or (4) will necessarily change pending on the result on Saturday, but given Wright's antics it would sure be great watching him if they lose.

Reply #681001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"3. Joey Wright is fast headed towards all league wanker territory. "

What? He's been head and shoulders above the rest of the league for a long time now.

Reply #681002 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"2. United hasn't been favoured by the refs in this series any more than Adelaide has. Most neutral fans are saying this.
"

Well, after watching the full series thus far I'd tend to agree. it seems the home team gets a lot of home cooking, but it just seems to be just a tad worse in Melbourne. I think where people get the idea that it is a bit biased is the fine on joey for speaking his mind, and ejecting Sobey. In a lot of ways I think Sobey deserved to be ejected but in a finals game you should endeavor to allow all of the best players to play.

Reply #681003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He certainly has gone from Mr Cool to moron pretty quickly.

Im an Adelaide fan, and ill be there Saturday, but Joey is just making it so much easier to make the 36ers hated outside of Adelaide. Thats Perth's mantle but jesus his ignorance is giving that a shake.

Reply #681004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So, am I to understand from the above comments that individuals have no right to decline to comment or limit what he says in the media?

I believe Joey, and everyone else, does - must - have that right.

And if Joey's limited comments - he's not declining to comment, he's just limiting what he says - is his way of protecting himself [and his team and club, by the way] or achieving his or the club's PR objective/s, more power to him.

A counter view to all the criticism of what he is doing is that it's strong [it takes strength to hold firm in the face of repeated questioning and criticism, however ill-informed] and may well prove to be clever.

Actually, to provide some context, ever seen a Wayne Bennett post-match press conference? Maybe check out a few and see what you think.

Reply #681005 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

Joey is a legend. He is not interested in talking to the media he means business.

Adelaide will be NBA champions mark my words. I am also going to throw it out the Majok for surprise MVP.

Reply #681008 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maybe funny for 1.5 games (mostly to get that Neroli exchange which was amusing), but then he should get back to things.

I don't think it's traumatising for a journalist to go without a quote from one coach when there are countless other things to include. Neroli showed exactly how you deal with it - come prepared, make light of it, and make it something worth sharing for entertainment. He's probably gone one conference too far with it, but whatever.

Beyond that, it's hardly going to make him feel less targeted - might just move the perceived instigation from refs to league ownership, rival fans, etc.

Reply #681009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I Have also heard that LK doesn't own MU and that the entity still sits with McPeake /Minear and co."

Please explain. So how do LK and Slepoy fit in then?

Reply #681013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I am not sure what Joey is doing actively kills media coverage - in fact, quite the opposite. It is getting people talking, like right now. We are talking more now about 2 sentences Joey repeats than every single thing he has ever said before. "

If we were the media, you might have a point.

Reply #681024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should have answered the question about the fans properly. Apart from that, couldn't care less what he says.

Reply #681026 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

I has certainly taken the fire out of any player vs player exchange, which certainly gave 36er opponents plenty to get motivated up by iat the end of the last two seasons.

If anything he's "taking the heat" that often gets his player trip up into saying something stupid. "one in All in" certainly would mean "if Joey's saying noting, then so am I."

Reply #681034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey has a suspended 2 game ban so why would he risk saying anything at all.

LK should not be present unless he will be present at every press conference including NBL United and he is willing to fine and offer bans to others who have also bagged out the refs and there are plenty. This is the issue, along with the farce of game 3 with Wesley and Prather. There is a huge loss of trust towards the MBL.

Reply #681039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

> who have also bagged out the refs

That is not what he was fined for!

Reply #681040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quoting to check out Wayne Bennett, you are kidding he's 20 years past it, only ever won premierships with loaded sides. You want to see how professionals work in with the media go and watch Clarkson hawks coach or Melbourne’s nrl coach who’s name escapes me. Now there professional to the fans and their respective sports.

As far as the owner of the league sitting in on a press conference it’s his business he can as he’s the one throwing the $$$ to keep the league going. Media is required or you got nothing.

Reply #681042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey may not act the way others do but you have to admit he gets the most out of the least than any other coach and they have made this season more exciting than it would be in their absence. And these antics are clearly drawing huge attention which is so big fo rite league. Pop is still respected and been doing this stuff for years, he doesn't suffer fools and yet so many players would love to play for him and he has a low attrition rate for those that have, and there would be many in admiration of him. Always love an anarchist.

I hope LK leaves this alone and addresses it after game 5. Coaching is a tough gig and he does not need the distraction, or is that part of the plan, intimidation.

Reply #681043 | Report this post

I suspect this stunt has entered the territory of "I've carried it on too far and i can't stop now", so it will just continue forever.

Reply #681046 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

You can;t have the owner of the league owning a club in the league, it's a conflict of interest, to pretend otherwise is a joke. Oh and we go on about aussies ball tampering this is worse if you ask me. If LK has any integrity he will sell Melbourne United and have no share or vested interest in the club.

Reply #681056 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

I'm sure that's his plan, wants to drive up the price first, timing and patience is key from a business perspective.

Reply #681057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey is pathetic and should leave if he thinks the league is a joke. If Adelaide win the championship, I wouldn't go anywhere near him if I worked in the media - he loves the attention so I'm sure he'd miss that. It's interesting watching the difference between him and Vickerman, who is a professional.

Reply #681058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey is trying to outdo Gleeson.

Reply #681063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think OP has been watching too much The Godfather Part II.

Reply #681066 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Can't an owner of a league attend a press conference discussing his league without accusations of intimidation?

This is one of the most important events of the NBL calender after all, is it so strange he is there?

Reply #681077 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Agree, LoveBroker.

People like reading into things, it must get them off.

Joey's being a bitch either way. If he respects himself he should be introspective. I'd be embarrassed behaving like that as a grown man

Reply #681080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Footage showed him in the United change rooms prior to Game #1 - not many people cared then?

Interesting to see if United win the title on Saturday...

What's his involvement in the trophy presentation? Does he give it to himself to give to Vickerman?

Should he remain completely out of it as league "owner"? Surely he has to?

Reply #681087 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

While we're talking about ownership, do we think the NBL could follow the NBA's model of the team owners essentially being equal part owners of the league?

Would Larry allow that?

I can guarantee it would make the idea of owning an NBL team a lot more attractive

Reply #681093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is supposed to have nothing to do with the United ownership now. That would I would have thought now involvement at any level.
Equally as the owner of the NBl he more than entitled to attend any press conference, however precedence appears not to be there.
He flips and flops with all his ideas about the NBL and let's hope he gives it all back to the NBL next week.
Rather have no NBL than Kestelman in charge. He can write of the failed Brisbane experiment, and the NBL experiment too. He "tried"

Reply #681098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From an outsider looking in it seems like this LK is the most under appreciated person ever.

Didn't he pretty much save the league? Has he not helped NBL get its current tv rights, a successful app, a strategic plan and expansion moving forward? The integration with the NBA and part of the influence in getting the Dream Team to Melbourne?

Who cares if he owns a team in the league? NBA has owned teams in the past- in fact most leagues have joint ownership. Good on him for bankrolling a flailing team.

I’m assuming it is just butthurt Sixers fans looking for something to gripe about.

Reply #681105 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

There is 1 job Joey is paid for and hopefully he achieves that Saturday night. The risk of suspension for speaking your mind given it would be the final game in a 35 game battle with winner takes all. I'm on Joeys side here.

The Q 'are you going to complain about the officiating’. What other answer could he give that 1. Is the truth and 2. Didn’t result in a fine?

The strength of this league going forward should boil down too, is Mayberry or Townsend on the floor on Saturday. The elbow into Sobey, call the foul on Sobey, elbow to Drmic, missed call we’re all Mayberry misses. In his area, in-line with where he was looking. Compare that with his multiple screw ups in game 3, he isn’t performing well enough to still be there on Saturday.

Reply #681110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's nothing wrong with being grateful about everything LK has done for the NBL while also being opposed to clear conflicts of interest.

Reply #681116 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

I'll accept a few years of a compromised league to end up with a stronger 12 team league in which LK only owns that, the league, and there are 12 separate ownership groups.

Reply #681118 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

While we're talking about ownership, do we think the NBL could follow the NBA's model of the team owners essentially being equal part owners of the league?
That's exactly the mess Kestleman saved the league from in the first place, as far as I'm aware.

Reply #681120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who can forget Marvin and the Cats vetoing everything. LK way better.

Reply #681123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said #105 the nbl was f..ked before LK came along. It's been back to back great seasons. The man deserves a lot credit.

Reply #681127 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Koberulz, agreeing with you but adding to your point that a strong figurehead was also needed during that time and we didn't have that, I think Larry and Jeremy are doing a stirling job of showing leadership too.

As for Joey, if you're a sponsor and your brand is associated with him then his responses to questions and how swiftly they are dealt with isn't going to impress anyone. You think about a V8 Supercar driver and how he has his hat/helmet and overalls displaying all sponsors and the driver gets his message out there and the sponsors are happy with the response and time they got on tv... Joey is the opposite.

I always thought Adelaide were the Manly Sea Eagles of the NBL, unless you're a fan of that team then you hate them... Brisbane and Illawarra have had issues in past two seasons. Melbourne and Perth seem to want to fight them. Sydney with Jerome/chill history, NZ not so much and Cairns seem to have some really awful matches against them. Maybe every team has this but I notice it more with 36ers and love to see fans and players upset

Reply #681128 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Proud , thats now how it works in V8's

Channel Ten will only interview teams that take out ad space on their network.

Nic Percat preformed well over the weekend with two podiums and hardly got his face or car on TV.

The teams that got on TV are those that spend money.

Hungry Jacks is the only Tier 1 spender in the NBL and even that is an offset of broadcast costs to LK

Reply #681131 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Thanks to Melbourne for propping up our sponsors instead of their own. That lets dribble on as long as we can after every question got air time for the 6ers brand.

Joey has got more publicity for saying nothing plus it makes people dig further to find out what it is all about.

Just hope NBL TV last this week

Reply #681136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You can;t have the owner of the league owning a club in the league, it's a conflict of interest, to pretend otherwise is a joke."

Maybe you are right. But what if there are no buyers out there (who can run the clubs and maintain sustainability)?
Do you want to wind up Melbourne and Brisbane?
Have a 6 team competition without Melbourne and Brisbane where no broadcaster in their right mind would want to take on?

Reply #681140 | Report this post

Pointybits  
Years ago

A huge thank you to LK for putting his dollars and balls on the line
FYI yo yo Illawarra is not going anywhere and your other guesses are based on something u read. In the 1930s the Chinese believed that every thing in writing was true. Seems yo yo needs to believe the same on this day

Reply #681245 | Report this post

Yo Yo  
Years ago

Guess again

Reply #681246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As someone has previously stated either above or in another thread. Without LK we would be watching SEABL on steroids and nobody wants that. The league has never been positioned better despite Adelaide's public plea of victim status. If they don’t want to play under the current administration they can always hand back their license.

Reply #681260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the appointment of Matt Campbell at the Hawks it would indicate in the short term at least the club is safe. 40th year anniversary in 2019 for the Hawks in the NBL, what an effort.

Reply #681262 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Seriously, this is a quality league and it's trying to get some traction in a competitive environment for sport. Having the head of the potential champions actively killing media coverage is bullshit. "

Quite the opposite, he's actually creating an extra significant talking point.

Reply #681286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What did LK say during the press conference? What did he actually do?

Reply #681296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So, am I to understand from the above comments that individuals have no right to decline to comment or limit what he says in the media?

I believe Joey, and everyone else, does - must - have that right.

I don't know what arranegements the NBL has, but some leagues have contractual obligations in place for coaches and players to participate in interviews, though I don't know to what extent the content of responses is regulated. I think that influenced 'sheed's "Ball don't lie" interview.

Professional basketball only exists as an entertainment industry. This type of non-response may be OK as a flash in the pan, though is not sustainable. Commentary without insight provides limited value.

Adelaide will be NBA champions mark my words. I am also going to throw it out the Majok for surprise MVP.

Failed drug test?

Reply #681401 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:49 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754