New Melbourne Franchise for NBL 19/20

http://www.nbl.com.au/news/article/41182-second-melbourne-team-expected-in-201920-nbl-season

Topic #42986 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also in the article "almost a certainty" new team for 18/19, not in Melbourne assumed

It's almost a certainty there will be one for next year (2018/19) and we will be announcing that during the offseason

Reply #681027 | Report this post

I think that is a typographical error. The NBL tweet linking to this article stated:

"There might not be any expansion ahead of #NBL19, BUT... It's looking highly likely that we will have a second Melbourne team in the competition for #NBL20."

Reply #681049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne United vs. Melbourne City? Oops, that one is already taken.

Reply #681050 | Report this post

South East Melbourne Titanic Magic Dragons

Reply #681061 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

How many "there might be" news articles does there need to be. Dont announce something till its a done deal. We should have about 18 teams in the comp if all the might be teams in the last few years actually entered.

Reply #681075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#fakenews

Reply #681084 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

They just needed something to hide that Hawthorn are out. They're constantly announcing "future expansion" to get people to keep believing the rhetoric that LK is doing a great job. Until they find owners for current franchises owned by LK and his lackeys its kind of hard to believe

Reply #681095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4 teams LK has a finger in.
Melb Untied, Hawks, Bullets and the 6'ers

Reply #681097 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

LK wants to boot Cairns and form a nth QLD side playing in Cairns/Townswille ala Nth QLD Cowboys style

Reply #681103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What? Cowboys only play in Townsville.

Reply #681124 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I said it at the time but we had all this chatter from Larry during MVP awards and that was the perfect time to announce expansion but he didn't mention a thing, why mention anything in off season, it's just a desperate move with nothing to back it up as it can't be backed up by on court action.

I'd love a Tassie team. I was keen on Canberra but the hoopla podcast with Bob Turner put me off that for a while

Reply #681130 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Im one that has been a fan of LK since he came in and injected new life into a league that was dying. Most of the changes have been great. However to hear that expansion will have to wait yet another year despite massive build up again is extremely disappointing. Another season with just 8 teams (maybe 7 if the Hawks cant survive) is a big let down.

Realise that they have to do their due diligence but this promise of expansion and nothing happening has gone on way too long.

Reply #681134 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"there might be" news articles are there to drum up support and to gauge what support there is.

It's now up to someone, or a group of people, to say "hey, we want that licence, and we can make it work!"

We've spoken on here before about how much is costs to run an NBL club, but there is also organising the people for the front office, game day, support staff etc.

Would be great to see another team and I think for that team to have long term success, there needs to be a plan with that in place before any ink goes to paper.

Reply #681138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the reasoning for the delay is fair enough.

If the new team is not ready to go now when the Player free agency window starts then they won't be able to recruit decent Aussie talent and therefore won't be able to compete. For expansion to work the new teams have to show something for the fans to turn up and sponsors to get on board.

Reply #681139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If a team were to be in the following season the NBL would need to issue a licence now. Not 2 weeks before the FA list comes out and lets face it once the announcement is made all the good players will be locked into long contracts.

Reply #681141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is ridiculous idea, and we've all see what's happened to the multitude of Melbourne teams over the years.

As a Melbourne local I struggle to see where the support base is coming from, the majority of people couldn't name the current team or show any interest in the league in general as it is. It'll just further dilute the little support there is.

I would've thought it'd make more sense to provide more support to Cairns and Illawarra before they go the way of every other regional team, or to at least look in to a second NZ, Tasmanian, or Canberra side.

Are the Bullets still propped up by the league without an owner?

Reply #681268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Essendon taking the expansion into the NBL to the fans.

http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/afl/essendon-polls-bombers-members-on-potential-for-nbl-expansion/news-story/b02be787cedb9a6bfe88e147bbb45b24

Reply #681438 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

Team needs to based in the South East Melbourne and not an AFL team.

I would like to follow the lead of the breakers and get some ex or current players to own the team like Bogut

Reply #681439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should be a south east team in the expanded Knox stadium.
I believe they are looking at a 8000+ seat showcourt.

Reply #681454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The leader newspaper seems to think there will be a 250 million dollar upgrade to to Knox.

Next 4 teams should be...

SE Melbourne
Tas
Nz 2
Gold Coast or Perth 2

Reply #681456 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:09 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754