Isaac
Years ago

Gliddon informs Taipans he's leaving

OLGUN ULUC:

CAMERON Gliddon has informed the Cairns Taipans that he won't be returning, multiple team sources told foxsports.com.au.

The guard began his professional career with the Taipans, joining the team in 2012, and was among the team’s leading scorers over the 2017-18 regular season, averaging 12.6 points and 3.6 rebounds per game.

Gliddon has received interest from multiple NBL teams over the course of his free agency, sources said; coming from the likes of Melbourne United, a 2018 Grand Finalist; the Perth Wildcats, Gliddon’s hometown team; and the Brisbane Bullets, a team featuring Boomers head coach, Andrej Lemanis.
Full story

Hopefully he lands at the Bullets and helps get them on track.

Topic #42994 | Report this topic

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Good for him tbh, I like the guy and I know he'll be great elsewhere

Reply #681214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Offers from Perth, United and Brisbane.

Deep in talks with Brisbane

Reply #681215 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

When it comes to furthering your career in the NBL almost any team is better for you than either Cairns Taipans or Wollongong Hawks. Smart players don't stay forever with either.

Reply #681220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lachy Reid's twitter comments seem to allude that Nick Kay is heading to Perth. That would be a very good local pick up if they both end up in red.

Reply #681222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More perth bound than a DUNIGAN on a non-stop flight to Australia from London.

Reply #681225 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

Nick Kay is going to Perth?

No way

Reply #681226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't free agency supposed to start 2 weeks after the GF, and clubs are not allowed to speak to contracted players till the 2 weeks are over. I call BS.

Reply #681228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Supposed to, yes.

Reply #681229 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

The new Taipans coach (when they get around to appointing him - applications still don't close for another week) is going to be left with a bare cupboard to pick decent Australian players from. This is one reason I was a little surprised Fearne got the chop as both Gliddon and McCarron would have been a lot better chance of staying with Fearne still coach imo. It is hard to see McCarron staying on either.

It is fine for the Taipans to take their time appointing a new coach but one wonders how much thought they gave to the fact that they are giving all the other teams the inside running for anyone they feel can offer something to their team. It's not like decent Australian players such as Gliddon and McCarron grow on trees!

Reply #681230 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

This is where lagging bringing in a new coach is going to cause problems for the Taipans...

Understandable that they want the best person available to lead them forward, but the timing, when your two best local players are off contract, and one of them is going great overseas and one will be playing a decent role with the Boomers in the Comm Games, is pretty crap...

Can't fault Cam for wanting to develop his game to the next level elsewhere and I definitely wish him (and Mitch when it comes time for him to announce the same thing) lots of luck...

Reply #681231 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Isn't free agency supposed to start 2 weeks after the GF, and clubs are not allowed to speak to contracted players till the 2 weeks are over. I call BS.
Are you new to following the NBL? Teams and players start working on this stuff well in advance. The rules are pretty toothless.

Reply #681232 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Jinx, Twink...

Really poor management decisions all round... I know they were looking forward to moving on from Fearney, but at the cost of losing your two best players, Australians at that AND two huge fan favourites...

I'm not a Cairns local obviously, but from those I've talked to over the last season, it's going to be a bitter pill for them to swallow...

Unfortunately teams getting a head start on free agents is so common place, if the Taipans are just losing players and don't have anyone new in to recruit until after the FA period begins, they will be so far behind every other team, and with their limited budget, it's going to be incredibly tough for them to recover from this...

Reply #681234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the Bullets can't get Gliddon, they've got Cadee as a pretty good Plan B. Kay to Perth would be devastating for the Hawks obviously. Wouldn't be surprised if the Kings took a long look at him as well - went to school in Sydney and is a NSW kid.

Reply #681238 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

I don't think this is an overly huge loss for Cairns. Tend to think Gliddon is a tad over-rated. I'd be more inclined to throw everything possible at McCarron - much bigger upside.

Reply #681239 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Olgun sitting back just doing the PR work for the same agent again.

Reply #681240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If a player says he want to leave a club that has nothing to do with the FA period.

Reply #681241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not surprised but would have though you would wait till the new coach is appointed first. Brisbane or Perth would be my picks.

Snakes are more focused on McCarron - just like Fearne, Gliddon has been around a while and its the same things said every year and same result. He has gone as far as he can with the Snakes so time for a new challenge. McCarron will be highly sort after if he doesn't get a bigger euro gig - it also means there are more opportunities for a clean start for Cairns with only Jawai and Kuany signed.

Sad to say goodbye, but Snakes fans I tired of the same statements every year, the same stifled offensive play - like everyone knows what we are going to do.

Shawn Dennis to Cairns and a very different style of Taipans basketball.

Reply #681247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac

Not new but I was told by a players agent that if caught there were heavy fines. I'm probably more naive and still think people follow rules.

Reply #681249 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

If United are making overtures towards Gliddon, does this mean they anticipate someone like Goulding leaving?

Can't imagine they wouldn't want to keep Ware / Goulding, and can't imagine Gliddon would want to come off the bench.

Reply #681250 | Report this post

lel  
Years ago

Gliddon and Ellis to the Wildcats

Reply #681254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dome Rat, I'm sure that’s why limited others feed info through to journo’s who on the surface seem to be biased towards one particular agent.

Reply #681263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would sign McCarron over Gliddon imo. They need to keep one of them and realistically can only afford one.

Reply #681264 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Gliddon & Kay to Perth please

Reply #681273 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

This news is Taipans official now. Gliddon's agent told the club last night

Reply #681276 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Gliddon & Kay to Perth please

Gliddon is not really a point guard and not a championship calibre shooting guard like a Bryce Cotton.

Where would you put Gliddon in Perth? Replace Damo? Off the bench? Unlikely and even if so you still have DKD, Steindl and Kenney.

Kay as a replacement for Knight I can understand, but with Steindl on contract this may mean Hire or Walker gets chopped.

Reply #681277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hire probably goes.

Reply #681280 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Doubt DKD will be back.

Reply #681282 | Report this post

Whingerball  
Years ago

Sad that Cairns lost a leader. Big name Players leaving the regional clubs is just driving them deeper into the ground.
For the Cats I think he'd fit. DKD goes, Damo off the bench, Hire retires and takes up a front office gig. I’d love Cotton back but can’t see it happening to be honest, I think we got lucky this time round.
Import PG
Gliddon
Import SF
Import PF
Kay
Marto, Brandt, Wagstaff, Steindle, Kenny (want him gone but I think contracted)
I think Cats should throw some big money at McCarron and go with 1 less import and build another strong Aussie core... but can’t see Cats not going highlight reel imports.

Reply #681285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Hire retires"

Hope so.

"and takes up a front office gig"

LOL - hasn't the club been charitable enough giving him playing time and now you want to extend that gravy train?

Reply #681289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gliddon, Kay and Ellis. Nice haul

Reply #681290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would think as mentioned above that he would wait for new coach to be appointed, sounds like he made his mind up a while ago and already has team picked out but waiting for bidding war now it's out in open. Would think Perth would be in box seat in trying to get talent in and will probably overpay.

Reply #681301 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

If they get Cotton back then Perth should play him as a point guard, Gliddon can handle the ball as well and Martin off the bench, that's a solid enough 3 man back court and you have Kenny and maybe DKD as fodder for the training court.

I love Kay but I would prefer DJ simply because when Perth are stagnant offensively then they are downright ugly and Kay and Gliddon almost certainly won't change that. Will be brilliant when working together as a unit but you could suggest that so do Brandt and Wagstaff. If we end up with Gliddon and Kay then I'd be delighted but I'd like to hope that we tried to lure DJ home first

Reply #681310 | Report this post

Snooch  
Years ago

With all the players supposedly going to Perth, they might need a second team

Reply #681313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cg43 back to bris and ware gone.

Glidon to utd as well as cotton.

Kay to cats as well as big name import im hearing possibly hillard or Napier

Reply #681314 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Nobody's irreplaceable & he has been very inconsistent for a starting guard.

Reply #681315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McCarron gone too.

Cairns screw Fearne, Gliddon and McCarron have same agent. Moldovan getting his crew out of there.

Reply #681317 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

At the risk of this turning into a Wildcats thread, but in the context of them maybe overpaying for Gliddon (or more likely McCarron), are the Wildcats known for actually overpaying for talent? I can't remember the last time that they would have done that for local talent, and getting their cheque books out for Cotton this season just gone seemed out of character...

Is the fear of having to rebuild and potentially not making the playoffs next season enough for them to get the crowbar out this off season?

Reply #681319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam Gruggen needs to coach the Taipans.

Reply #681324 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I don't think DJ is going anywhere...

Reply #681329 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Interested teams can apply to the player's current team before the start of FA to 'talk'. Entirely current team's prerogative to allow it or not but they more often than not allow it since they may do the same in the future. Plus as pointed out, plenty informal talks behind the scenes anyways.

Either way, the 4 top FAs will get paid handsomely. Not saying impossible but for a team to sign 2 in 18/19 will really hurt the budget & will really impact the quality of imports you can sign.

Reply #681336 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Not sure why Cairns would say: We understand that he has already signed with another NBL team, and sadly we did not have the opportunity to present our offer.

Are they trying to imply another team has done something illegal here?

Reply #681345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns probably just a bit salty.

Reply #681347 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'd say that's exactly what they're doing snooch.

Reply #681351 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

What about the potential that Gliddon leaving frees up $ to give to McCarron - could that keep him around?

McCarron could also become the go-to man in Cairns and have a much higher usage and put up good stats - to heighten his worth later down the track if it does want to go elsewhere?

Reply #681354 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Are they trying to imply another team has done something illegal here?

Nothing illegal snooch. It appears Gliddon requested early release to explore FA & the club granted his request. The regrettable thing was him informing the club he already made up his mind after they legally released him but before they can present him their offer.

Reply #681361 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Then why bother saying he's already signed with another club, particularly when it's not actually confirmed and the Taipans know players can't sign with other clubs yet?? They could have just said he's informed them he's leaving despite them having not been able to table an offer.

Funny how in the same release they're critical of journalists: If you read an article that does not contain an official quote from our Club and/or current Board, we trust you will recognise speculation dressed up as journalism, and I recommend you take all those reports with a very large grain of salt.

And yet they've decided to put something into the release that isn't confirmed or verified (we understand..) - one could say it's just speculation dressed up as bullshit. A tad hypocritical I'd have thought.

For those interested:
http://www.taipans.com/news/article/35943-presidents-address-easter

Reply #681363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would be very surprised if Taipans hadn't made an offer, I would be thinking they didn't have a chance to make a counter offer.

Reply #681371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Club and Gliddon annoyed it was released before hand. He wanted to address it himself. Not signed anywhere yet and by the sounds of it, may not even be in NBL as he mentioned his wife and career development - he has done well in europe so watch this space.

Moldovan agent for Fearne, Gliddon and McCarron FYI- my bet it was Fearne being salty. Moldovan runs a tight ship and tight lips - especially now when the snakes will be loaded up to top his deal and improved role in the club.

Reply #681403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #681418 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

In light of murmurs, Would rather not see Gliddon/Cadee in Brisbane.

Gliddon - Someone else mentioned earlier, not a point guard nor a championship calibre two. Seems a little inconsistent to me and will be looking to get paid. The positive is that he doesn't take up an import spot.

Cadee - A good foil off the bench, but not someone to be relied upon for primary playmaking duties.

Lemanis will probable bumble in preparing the roster again. At least he's only in Brisbane for one more year.

Will be happy if Bubbles comes back though.

Reply #681419 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Simple fact is that Cairns cannot compete on salaries.
So unless they can get locals like Jawai, and maybe a few roles players who like the tropics, they're always going to be stuck rummaging in the bargain bin, and face losing any that come good.

Reply #681475 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Gliddon to the Cats does make some sense. Keep in mind they had Webster lined up previously.
Locals are the difficult spots to fill, and very often the lineup is shuffled to make them fit.

Unless he has already signed a long-term deal with no outs, they can't rely on Cotton being available. Even if he stays, and becomes the next Grace, even Grace started his NBL career as a SG partnering Ellis. With Martin aging, a 3-man rotation of Martin, Cotton, and Gliddon, would give them a lot of power and stability in the backcourt. Kenny then would be only depth, and hopefully a younger player to step in when he retires.

Reply #681477 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Doubt very much Gliddon signs somewhere in his prime to come off the bench.

Reply #681481 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Wildcats will get Glidon, Johnson and McKay.

Reply #681587 | Report this post

holic  
Years ago

I have been saying Perth along with Johnson for months now

Reply #683458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holic; when one (or both) don't sign with Perth and you look like an idiot for posting this every thread, what are you going to change your username to?

Reply #683473 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Holic doesn't know what they are talking about

Reply #683474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holic is an alco hence the posts.

Reply #683521 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:43 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754